Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Can I just upgrade El Captain? or do I need to clean install?
I have Yosemite installed with Multibeast for Yosemite and I also have windows 10 install on other drive with Chimarra.
Should I choose the legacy boot mode or UEFI bootmode? I am not familiar with clover. I wish the multibeast El captain will come out soon.

Hi,
Can I just upgrade El Captain? or do I need to clean install?
Hi baspak, before doing anything I'd suggest that you back up your system drive. It will be worth spending some time reading the procedures. You won't have to reinstall if you follow the guides but you will have to create UniBeast Installer and run it over your current installation. Clover Basics and Switching Advice
I have Yosemite installed with Multibeast for Yosemite and I also have windows 10 install on other drive with Chimarra.
Disconnect the drive from the system, you don't have to take it out just remove the power or data cable. Then the install won't interfere with your windows drive.

Should I choose the legacy boot mode or UEFI bootmode? I am not familiar with clover. I wish the multibeast El captain will come out soon.
You can chose UEFI mode as your motherboard supports UEFI. I have only done a clean install with El Capitan so far(test drive), I'll be keeping my main system drive on Yosemite for a while longer as yet. You can test Clover on a USB drive. The 10.11 Installation has all the information to help you will the install. As I said back up first.

I've upgraded my installation to EL Capitan an the majority seems to work fine. I've a clover installation running windows 7 on a separate drive which is working fine.
The rear USB3 ports are still causing problems while the front USB3 port is working ...need to figure out what the problem is
regards

I still have problems with the USB3 ports, they only recognise a USB-stick while any other USB device is not recognised. Very strange.... I have to go back to Yosemite which was working fine for me. I'll need to investigate into more details when I have more time to do so....

Question for you you all:

Since late summer my MacOS boot sequence (white apple on a black screen with loading bar) has been taking a bit longer than it use to. When I first built it, it took maybe 5 seconds to boot; now it takes closer to a minute.

I've been keeping the install version pretty current and I think it started being slow in August, in the higher digit Yosemite versions. I'm now on El Cap and clean reinstalled on a brand new SSD but haven't seen any improvement.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I upgraded to El Capitan using the built in process, and had no troubles with the actual upgrade process. I made sure to install Clover, obviously.

My system isn't quite trouble free, though - my video output doesn't come back after sleep, even though the computer wakes up (fans spin, power light on, etc.). I have a Sapphire R9 270X, which I think is the culprit.

Also, my USB 3.0 ports don't seem to work, at least at full speed. My mouse, keyboard, and audio interface all work while plugged into USB 3.0 ports. When I plug in an external USB 3.0 drive it isn't recognized. If I plug it into an existing USB 2.0 port, it works fine, just slow.

Any ideas what's up with that?

I upgraded to El Capitan using the built in process, and had no troubles with the actual upgrade process. I made sure to install Clover, obviously.

My system isn't quite trouble free, though - my video output doesn't come back after sleep, even though the computer wakes up (fans spin, power light on, etc.). I have a Sapphire R9 270X, which I think is the culprit.

Also, my USB 3.0 ports don't seem to work, at least at full speed. My mouse, keyboard, and audio interface all work while plugged into USB 3.0 ports. When I plug in an external USB 3.0 drive it isn't recognized. If I plug it into an existing USB 2.0 port, it works fine, just slow.

Any ideas what's up with that?

Hi jazzman16,
You aren't the only one facing minor niggling issues with an AMD card in El Capitan and unfortunately there isn't a solution as far as I know for the "wake from sleep" dilemma. A few months back I bought the Sapphire R9 380 4GB Nitro for this build and it runs perfectly in Yosemite but doesn't boot without IGPU set to first graphics priority in El Capitan. Hence I'm still on Yosemite with this build.

For USB 3.0 running at 2.0 speeds, there are solution references here CustoMac Desktop USB Fixes - OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Reference

For USB 3.0 running at 2.0 speeds, there are solution references here CustoMac Desktop USB Fixes - OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Reference

This is extremely helpful! Thank you - I'll look into this.

Yeah, it's a little bit of a bummer about the not waking from sleep thing, because upgrading to El Cap actually solved a lot of problems I was having with Yosemite - no more random freezing, mobo works with all four RAM slots filled (probably unrelated to El Cap, but I'm going with it!), iMessage works, and everything seems generally faster.

Fortunately the thing boots up and shuts down fast, so I just shut it off at night. Hopefully there will be something that comes along and we'll all get our displays back after sleeping! That or I may try an nvidia card for grins.

Had some time to play around. I downloaded RehabMan-FakePCIID-2015-1101.zip and installed FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to S/L/E using Kext Wizard.
kextwizard.jpg

My USB ports that were dead are now working. That's a major plus, but it doesn't appear that I am getting USB3 speeds :( Will muck around more.

DiskSpeedTest.png

Attachments

• kextwizard.tiff
    74 KB · Views: 103
This is extremely helpful! Thank you - I'll look into this.

Yeah, it's a little bit of a bummer about the not waking from sleep thing, because upgrading to El Cap actually solved a lot of problems I was having with Yosemite - no more random freezing, mobo works with all four RAM slots filled (probably unrelated to El Cap, but I'm going with it!), iMessage works, and everything seems generally faster.

Fortunately the thing boots up and shuts down fast, so I just shut it off at night. Hopefully there will be something that comes along and we'll all get our displays back after sleeping! That or I may try an nvidia card for grins.

It is possible to get wake from sleep to work in El Capitan with an AMD card if you enable integrated graphics. Haven't tested this personally. As for a Nvidia cards they work well yet this all depends on usage compared to AMD. I've put a GTX970 in my Skylake build, sleep works but for the sake of sleep vs shutdown save your pennies unless its imperative.

Had some time to play around. I downloaded RehabMan-FakePCIID-2015-1101.zip and installed FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to S/L/E using Kext Wizard.

My USB ports that were dead are now working. That's a major plus, but it doesn't appear that I am getting USB3 speeds :( Will muck around more.

You may need to use the Raise Port Limit patch too. Also please be aware that there is currently no fix for NEC/Renesas/AsMedia USB chipsets. The available fixes are for Intel chipsets only. Looking at the Specs here (Z87X-OC) this is what we are looking at below.
Only 2 Intel USB 3.0 ports on the back panel. The other 6 USB 3.0 ports are Renesas.

USB Ports for Z87X-OC
Intel Chipset

• Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB header) Port count = 4
  • Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 onboard, 4 available through the USB headers) Ports count = 8
Chipset Renesas uPD720210 USB 3.0 Hubs

• Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (6 ports on the back panel. 2 ports available through the Internal USB headers) Port count = 16
Total port count is 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back