Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear wildwillow,

Thank you very much for your guide, as well as all the others you linked to.

I have successfully built my first mackintosh based on your build.
Quad boot mavericks 10.9.1/mavericks 10.9.1/mountain lion/windows 8.1, gorgeous chimera theme 4.3Ghz on air, and MAC-ZFS.

I fought a bit with the analogue audio multichannel output, but once I got my head around the audio midi setup app I got it to work. I will attempt to get HDMI audio working soon.
As I dig deeper into the hackintoshing and system tests, I wonder if you could help me with some issues:

1. Chimera does not accept background pictures of 2560x1440 size and the system halts with a memory error. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I used .png files that came with some themes to make sure I had the right format.
  2. When I perform a shutdown under Mavericks or Mountain Lion, the system sometimes automatically starts boot again. This is random. I wonder if you have similar issues with your motherboard?
  3. When I move a window around on the desktop fast, the edges of the window seem to tear. Is this something to do with the integrated GFX card I am using, or is it the monitor (6ms). Should I increase the amount of shared ram in the bios?

Thank you very much.

CC

System:

• Gigabyte Z87X-OC
  • i7-4770K Haswell CPU
  • Intel 4600 onboard graphics (2560x1440 via DisplayPort)
  • ASUS PA279Q Monitor
  • Samsung 840 Pro 2.5" SSD
  • Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SSD
  • 3x 3TB, 1x4TB Samsung drives.
  • Corsair AX860 PSU
  • OSX Mavericks
  • 32GB Kingston Hyperbeast RAM
  • TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

1. Chimera does not accept background pictures of 2560x1440 size and the system halts with a memory error. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I used .png files that came with some themes to make sure I had the right format.
  2. When I perform a shutdown under Mavericks or Mountain Lion, the system sometimes automatically starts boot again. This is random. I wonder if you have similar issues with your motherboard?
  3. When I move a window around on the desktop fast, the edges of the window seem to tear. Is this something to do with the integrated GFX card I am using, or is it the monitor (6ms). Should I increase the amount of shared ram in the bios

Hi CC

1. Have you edited the graphics mode in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist for your native screen resolution?
For example.

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</Key
<string>"2560x1440"</string>

2. In your BIOS disable WOL (wake on Lan)

3. Possibly due to your screen resolution. Unable to test as I do not have a screen that promotes resolution that high. Hopefully answer 1 may help. Leave the shared ram in BIOS to 64MB.

Dear WildWillow,
Thanks for your great build description.It sure helped me narrow down my choices, and got my Z87-OC build up and running ML 10.8.5.The photo aided me in the ATX power connections too.The BIOS was a breeze thanks to your screenshots. Thanks for the verbose post that gave me a frustration-free second build. As you rightly said-the "welcome screen moment" reminded me of SL and was pure satisfaction. Sleep works too.Kudos once again!

Dear WildWillow,
Thanks for your great build description.It sure helped me narrow down my choices, and got my Z87-OC build up and running ML 10.8.5.The photo aided me in the ATX power connections too.The BIOS was a breeze thanks to your screenshots. Thanks for the verbose post that gave me a frustration-free second build. As you rightly said-the "welcome screen moment" reminded me of SL and was pure satisfaction. Sleep works too.Kudos once again!

Hi digiman,

Glad to hear that it helped you out. Great news and enjoy.

Hi CC

1. Have you edited the graphics mode in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist for your native screen resolution?
For example.

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</Key
<string>"2560x1440"</string>

2. In your BIOS disable WOL (wake on Lan)

3. Possibly due to your screen resolution. Unable to test as I do not have a screen that promotes resolution that high. Hopefully answer 1 may help. Leave the shared ram in BIOS to 64MB.

Thank you for you kind answer.

1. I have changed the resolution in the chameleon .plist as well in the of the theme. I still get the memory error.

2. This solved it. Thank you.

3. Unsure what this causes it.

I am trying to get HDMI working, but was unable to make it work under 10.9.1. I noticed that the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext has the version 8.18.29 instead of 8.18.26 as you describe. Is it possible that this change disables the hack script of toleda?

Many thanks for your help.

CC

Thank you for you kind answer.

I am trying to get HDMI working, but was unable to make it work under 10.9.1. I noticed that the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext has the version 8.18.29 instead of 8.18.26 as you describe. Is it possible that this change disables the hack script of toleda?

Many thanks for your help.
CC

The patches should remain the same. Have you patched both AppleHDA.kext and AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext following the guide.

@WildWIllow - are you still running your GA-Z87X-OC without DSDT? I have tried creating a DSDT for this board and patching it but after installing and rebooting, i get no mouse and keyboard becomes a bit laggy. Looking for help to get a fully working DSDT for this new build. Let me know if you need more info...

@WildWIllow - are you still running your GA-Z87X-OC without DSDT? I have tried creating a DSDT for this board and patching it but after installing and rebooting, i get no mouse and keyboard becomes a bit laggy. Looking for help to get a fully working DSDT for this new build. Let me know if you need more info...

I have resolved my issue. It seemed to be due to having USB2.0 cables/devices plugged into USB3.0 ports on the MoBo since there are only 2 on-board USB2.0 ports.

I extracted and patched a brand new DSDT and installed. I then used a 4-port USB 2.0 hub to connect all those to a single port on the MoBo. Now all USB2.0 devices work, as do USB3.0 devices. Bluetooth also working with adapter plugged into remaining USB2.0 slot (Magic Mouse/Keyboard/Trackpad)

Thanks for the excellent guide as it gave me solid direction. kudos!! :headbang:

hey wildwillow,

i followed instruction from Stork here and i just updated to 10.9.1

now checking the "info about this mac" window i see cpu speed 3,9 ghz instead 3,89 it was on 10.9.0

something changed here… what about your build ? did you updated ?

Yes I updated to 10.9.1. Not seeing any problems or differences. Seems to be OK. Apart from the CPU speed are you running ok now. Ethernet on your build configured correctly with your router?

I have resolved my issue. It seemed to be due to having USB2.0 cables/devices plugged into USB3.0 porst on the MoBo since there are only 2 on-board USB2.0 ports.

I extracted and patched a brand new DSDT and installed. I then used a 4-port USB 2.0 hub to connect all those to a single port on the MoBo. Now all USB2.0 devices work, as do USB3.0 devices. Bluetooth also working with adapter plugged into remaining USB2.0 slot (Magic Mouse/Keyboard/Trackpad)

Thanks for the excellent guide as it gave me solid direction. kudos!! :headbang:

Yes I am still running DSDT free. You're welcome. Glad you got it figured out:thumbup: Hopefully I will get my Apple Keyboard and Mouse on the 25th. I would have got them sooner but it gives my family something to buy me and wrap up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back