Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Wow, on my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, it looks like the "Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter" is supposed to fit, but it doesn't. I haven't tried hammering it in, but to fit in the thunderbolt port. T Apple part number I bought is MD464ZM/A. I bought it from Amazon. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RXYOKY/

What might be wrong?

Pandar

I heard this twice before, and both times it was because of the Motherboard I/O shield was installed inproperly. Double check the I/O shield.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pandar
Wow, on my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, it looks like the "Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter" is supposed to fit, but it doesn't. I haven't tried hammering it in, but to fit in the thunderbolt port. T Apple part number I bought is MD464ZM/A. I bought it from Amazon. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RXYOKY/

What might be wrong?

Pandar

I heard this twice before, and both times it was because of the Motherboard I/O shield was installed inproperly. Double check the I/O shield.

Ditto...I had the same problem...went looking to confirm that the ports were not some "other size" connector. Finally figured out there was a bit of shield in the way. Nudged it back...voila...thunderbolt!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stork,

You are running a monitor via MDP to DP adapter correct?

I have the HD4000 and a 2713 Dell and it works fine except that on boot, the apple screen comes up and then the screen go dark. If I power cycle the monitor it is fine. Any ideas?

z77x-up5 th board.

I had the profile set to Mac Pro 3,1 and I had no internet after I ran multi beast. Couldn't get it working so I change to iMac 13,1 and now the internet works. However the monitor acts the same regardless.

thanks

bucket772,
I used a Thunderbolt (miniDispayPort) to DVI adapter and set the BIOS for HD4000 use. Worked as it should. After shutting down the system, I removed the Thunderbolt adapter and connected a DVI to DVI cable to the motherboard and monitor and rebooted. Worked fine w/o any BIOS changes.

Do you see the BIOS LOGO screen before you boot into OS X?

I used the MacMini5,1 System Definition, IIRC, just because I had to use it for multiple monitors on my Sandy Bridge Zorro build. However, I've since learned from tonymacx86 that MacPro3,1 should work fine with Ivy Bridge systems with or w/o multiple monitors. I change it to MacPro3,1 next time I'm in the BIOS to see if that System Definition works OK.

Solved! See Post #181.

When I powerup I see the BIOS flash screen and then the grey apple boot screen. Then the screen goes black. When I power cycle the monitor then the screen comes up as it should and works fine after that.

I'm running a 2713 Dell 27" @ 1440 which is why I need the thunderbolt port. Otherwise I would just use the DVI.

I would go back to MacPro 3,1 except the internet wont work. I don't know what the difference between the profiles really is. If its just bragging rights then I could care less. But if it is really better then I guess I need to figure the internet out.

Quick question, Can I change the system def in multibeast without having to reinstalling ML every time? I'm new to this end of macs. or is there a kext I can remove to make the changes?

Thanks for the help and bearing with me

System Def changed to MacPro 3,1 and all is well with the internet.

Still having the screen issue though

ugh

Thanks for the help !!

bucket772,
I'm glad to here you have Ethernet connectivity. Now, just for giggles and grins, use MultiBeast to change the System Definition to MacMini5,1 to see if that clears up your monitor problem. If not, try MacMini6,1, but that's causes my speakers to pop when receiving a sound.

SUCESS!!!:D:D

well not with changing the system defs.
I have m-audio SP-5B studio monitors hooked up and really don't like the popping so the mac mini profiles wont work for me.

I did some playing around and changed GraphicsEnabler=no in the boot.plist. When I rebooted I noticed that the graphics were at a low res however the monitor booted right up as it should. So I got to thinking that maybe it dosent like the low res to hi res switch. I changed that plist back and added this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1440x32</string>

Now I get the boot loader in hi res (although it takes a bit longer to count down), the grey apple boot screen in high res and then right into desktop.

Almost time to post the build now that it seems everything is ironed out.

Thanks again

Hey Stork,

I posted in the General forum, but this is probably the better place as I tried to go through your setup. I am attempting to use the HD4000. I have a 480GB SanDisk SSD. I can get it to boot from the USB stick on ML 10.8.2. My board BIOS is F11. MultiBeast 5.2.1 installation fails with your settings in BIOS for some reason. When I reboot, the screen is garbled. I can make out the login box well enough to login, but after that, it's not legible. If I erase the /Extras files, it boots with 1024x768 resolution ok. Cannot boot from HD as MB install fails. I am a PC guy that has had a MBP for several years, so my familiarity with the inner workings of a Mac are beyond sketchy and I probably bit off more than I can chew. Any help would be appreciated. If there are any questions I can answer that would help you determine my issue, please ask. I don't know enough info to tell you what you need to know unprompted. I had it sort of working yesterday--the resolution looked great and I installed Photoshop and Handbrake--and it performed blazingly fast compared to my circa 2007 MBP. But this morning, it went to sleep and awoke with the problems mentioned above. I did a second Mountain Lion install on a separate drive and removed the plist, chameleon, extra stuff and it went back to its previous state. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Chris

Lots of stuff in one paragraph, but I'll try to help.
...I can get it to boot from the USB stick on ML 10.8.2. My board BIOS is F11. MultiBeast 5.2.1 installation fails with your settings in BIOS for some reason. When I reboot, the screen is garbled. I can make out the login box well enough to login, but after that, it's not legible. If I erase the /Extras files, it boots with 1024x768 resolution ok. Cannot boot from HD as MB install fails...

I had it sort of working yesterday--the resolution looked great and I installed Photoshop and Handbrake--and it performed blazingly fast compared to my circa 2007 MBP. But this morning, it went to sleep and awoke with the problems mentioned above. I did a second Mountain Lion install on a separate drive and removed the plist, chameleon, extra stuff and it went back to its previous state. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...
Chances are you have missed a step in the install and MultiBeast setup.

First, did you set you set your BIOS as I described in my original post? This is important for HD4000.

Second, there are three versions of MultiBeast. Make sure you are using MultiBeast for Mountain Lion. It should not fail; if it does rerun it again, making sure you use my configuration. Note: my MultiBeast screen snapshot may look different since I used an earlier version, but the selections are the same. Again, use MultiBeast for Mountain Lion.

Finally, what is your motherboard to monitor connection? VGA doesn't work with OS X. I used both the DVI to DVI and Thunderbolt to DVI w/o any problems. After I ran MultiBeast and before I rebooted, I used the tonymacx86 technique to ensure your system runs at the desired resolution - add the following to your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file using a text editor like TextEdit:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string> <-- substitute for your monitor

Hopefully, one of the above helps you debug your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back