Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Lots of stuff in one paragraph, but I'll try to help.
Chances are you have missed a step in the install and MultiBeast setup.

First, did you set you set your BIOS as I described in my original post? This is important for HD4000.

Yes. Followed your directions as well as those you pointed to from thelostswede.

Second, there are three versions of MultiBeast. Make sure you are using MultiBeast for Mountain Lion. It should not fail; if it does rerun it again, making sure you use my configuration. Note: my MultiBeast screen snapshot may look different since I used an earlier version, but the selections are the same. Again, use MultiBeast for Mountain Lion.

Definitely used MultiBeast for ML version 5.2.1. I ran it about 3 times, the last time, I just chose UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation alone and it still failed.

Finally, what is your motherboard to monitor connection? VGA doesn't work with OS X. I used both the DVI to DVI and Thunderbolt to DVI w/o any problems. After I ran MultiBeast and before I rebooted, I used the tonymacx86 technique to ensure your system runs at the desired resolution - add the following to your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file using a text editor like TextEdit:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string> <-- substitute for your monitor

Hopefully, one of the above helps you debug your system.
I have a DVI to DVI connection. I did add the Graphics Mode text string which allowed my monitor resolution to increase to the max supported by the monitor.

As of now, it is booting fine from the USB and the monitor resolution looks good. I have basic functionality; I can operate Photoshop and Handbrake, the two most used programs. It goes to sleep with a white screen, but wakes ok. MultiBeast still fails installation. Thank you for your help!

Chris

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I just flashed the bios to F12e, double-checked settings from thelostswede and from you, downloaded MultiBeast 5.2.1 for Mountain Lion and tried to run MultiBeast again. It is still failing the install. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
Board: Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800), 32GB total in 4 modules
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme SSD 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-480G-G25
Power Supply: 600 watt, can't remember the brand. It's an old one. circa 2006. Have a new one that I was contemplating returning because my old one seemed adequate. It is a Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with and Platforms - CMPSU-650HX. I could swap those out if it may possibly make a difference.
Input Devices: Logitech Keyboard K120 and a Dell 2-button mouse.

I did not install the wi-fi/bluetooth card that came with the board.

I am stuck for now.

clew,
Be advised that F12e is a beta BIOS. Don't rush to fail. :thumbup:

Back to MultiBeast. Installation failure can be caused by several things. However, the most often failure is you have a folder on your desktop who's name starts with "Backup" or has "backup" in its name. Check to see if you have any folders on your desktop that you did not create. If so, temporarily move them somewhere else. Re-run MultiBeast.

clew,
Just par for the course. :lol:
Back to MultiBeast. Installation failure can be caused by several things. However, the most often failure is you have a folder on your desktop who's name starts with "Backup" or has "backup" in its name. Check to see if you have any folders on your desktop that you did not create. If so, temporarily move them somewhere else. Re-run MultiBeast.

I will check on this when I get home from work. You may be on to something here. Thanks!

clew,

FWIW, I am running the F12e on my music studio rig 2.0, and seems to be working just fine for me. That's the version that I used to do the final build.

Fingers crossed that you get it all ironed out!
:thumbup:

No luck. Could installed software be the culprit? I installed adobe creative suite 5.5 before running multibeast.

I have a problem. I installed the system (again) but it seems that it doesn't accept the graphics card very well. In previous installs it was almost no problem, but now it doesn't even installs the Cuda Drivers.
It only boots up when I use the safe mode otherwise it gives me Kernel Panics. Graphics Card GTX650 Ti - GraphicsEnabler=No and all the stuff Stork wrote was done. As said, in previous installs it was no problem.
Can anyone help me?

Edit: Seemed to be the PCIRoot Fix wasn't enabled. Run the Multibeast again and now it works o_O

Just built a very similar system. All up and running fine. I'm wondering what is the best system definition to use with this board? Also saw someone have success using the wi-fi/bluetooth card for bluetooth, but I am unable to get it to work.

I am using MacPro3,1 which is the MultiBeast default when you use "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation" as in the original post. Unless some OS X feature isn't working correctly, I would stay with the default System Definition.

The Wifi doesn't work, so I just used a Targus BT USB dongle I already had connected to my IOGear KVM switch.

Thanks for reply Stork, I am also using the Targus BT adapter, but seems I get lagginess and disconnects sometimes with my Magic Mouse, so was trying to install the included wi-fi/bt card to see if it had better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back