Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

mntbighker,
When Anandtech.com reviewed the Dell U2713HM, the reviewer had some comments on the new wave of IPS monitors from Korea that were in the $400 price range. They lack calibration functions which means you're stuck with the WYSIWYG colors (calibration) as there are no adjustments on the monitor. So, you get what you pay for. (BTW, the Dell is an Ultrasharp model and comes factory calibrated with appropriate papers and has full calibration adjustments.)

I can't say enough good things about the Dell U2713HM....

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I just bought a Z77X-UP5 a few hours ago, and one U2713HM around Xmas. Dell offered a huge sale here in France, for about a week: 40% off, with free shipping. I paid 456€ (including 19.6% French VAT, which makes about $500).
The price was 100€ less than competition like ASUS PB278Q, but IPS glow is pretty annoying on this display and my bottom left corner is really brownish. It's far from a perfect display, and not worth the MSRP price, in my opinion.
On this French forum page, you can see what many look like in the dark:
http://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.php...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Hopefully, you kind of get use to it in normal use conditions and I'm not too picky. It handles video games nicely (I've been playing Max Payne 3 with a GTX670) and I've got a plasma TV for videos, so I just enjoy the high resolution, but I know a few prosumers that just send it back, despite the pricetag.

Hey Stork, I am using this build as a template to build my own computer and so far so good but I just can't get the front USB 3 Hub on my CM HAFxm case to work. The USB 2 works just fine but any device plugged to the USB 3 ports doesn't even get power. I noticed that your case also has USB 3 ports, do they work? Did anybody else encounter this issue?

This forum has been a great resource!

Hey Stork, I am using this build as a template to build my own computer and so far so good but I just can't get the front USB 3 Hub on my CM HAFxm case to work. The USB 2 works just fine but any device plugged to the USB 3 ports doesn't even get power. I noticed that your case also has USB 3 ports, do they work? Did anybody else encounter this issue?

This forum has been a great resource!

I m facing the same issue. the usb 2 works just fine, but somehow Usb 3 doesnt work at all... All the back usb 2 & 3 ports work flawlessly. the back usb 3 is backwards compatible with usb 2. Dont know y only front usb 3 port dont work.

the problem comes from the tower usb hub

on mine usb ports 2.0, 3.0 in front of the tower does not boot into the bios, but it works once the system has finished booting either windows or mac
I had written a gigabyte he said that the problem came from the HUB Case Style which has 100% not compatible with the mainboard

for USB 3.0 before it must be connected to the internal ports 2 and 3, the bottom of the mainboard

all rear USB port works in combination in the bios and the system mac or windows

hiractionary,
Gerard71 has the solution - use the motherboard's USB 3 #2 or #3 header plugs. While I don't have any USB 3 external "stuff", I've read that the motherboards USB 3 #1 header is non compatible with a case's front panel. I don't know why, but that seems to be the consensus.

hiractionary,
Gerard71 has the solution - use the motherboard's USB 3 #2 or #3 header plugs. While I don't have any USB 3 external "stuff", I've read that the motherboards USB 3 #1 header is non compatible with a case's front panel. I don't know why, but that seems to be the consensus.

Brilliant advice! For whatever reason during install time USB3 #1 worked fine, but as soon as i had multibeast installed it would only power my usb headset or my mouse, USB drives failed to work... I just switched to USB #2 and storage is once again working. Thank you!

Now if i could just get the Citrix Receiver working, Airplay Mirroring while configured as a mac pro 3,1 so i don't get audio popping (or eliminate the audio popping when configured as an iMac), and get the USB ports to charge my iPad i'll be 100% functional ;) Thanks Stork very helpful :)

hiractionary,

Yes! Thank you so much. Now both the USB 3 and USB 2 ports work great and I have been able to get everything else working too running a geekbench of 15k with a 3770k, 16GB ram and a GTX670. This is awesome.

Great to hear! I updated my build description to reflect this information (at the end of the post in the Comments Updates section).

Hmmm , well now that is interesting, my front panel ports are detected as USB 2.0, even though they should be 3.0
Anyone else seeing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back