Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Hmmm , well now that is interesting, my front panel ports are detected as USB 2.0, even though they should be 3.0
Anyone else seeing this?

what are the settings in the BIOS for USB 3.0

when a connected device is a USB 2.0 device
the usb port usb 2.0 switch in

when a connected device is a USB 3.0 device
the usb port usb 3.0 switch in

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Several of the folks in this thread have mentioned having and using a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. Where are they finding them? The Apple T-bolt to FW 800 adapter uses a special and unique mini display port plug which does not fit into the Z77X-UP5TH Thunderbolt ports. I sure Apple did this in order to make it useful only to the owners of Apple hardware. Monoprice has some good and very inexpensive Thunderbolt adapters, but most of them are for video.

One other question, speaking of Thunderbolt to video/DVI adapters, do these draw on the HD4000 graphics engine, which I think only mirrors one of the video outputs from my Nvidia 560ti, should it work at all, rather than provide a third or additional screen along with the video coming out of the 2 ports on the video card? I suspect that is the case, but I'm not sure. Getting a 560ti(GE=yes) to work with the HD4000 on board(GE=no) is problematic to say the least. But with a Nvidia 600 series card(GE=no), I believe one can get the HD4000 on board graphics engine to work along with a Nvidia 600 series video card. What I don't know is whether the HD4000 video would only mirror one of the Nvidia ports, which wouldn't be very useful.

GA-Z77X-UP5TH, Intel 3700K, Nvidia 560ti, 16gb RAM.

Several of the folks in this thread have mentioned having and using a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. Where are they finding them? The Apple T-bolt to FW 800 adapter uses a special and unique mini display port plug which does not fit into the Z77X-UP5TH Thunderbolt ports. I sure Apple did this in order to make it useful only to the owners of Apple hardware. Monoprice has some good and very inexpensive Thunderbolt adapters, but most of them are for video.
I got the Apple Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter from Amazon - see original post. It works on the two Thunderbolt ports on the motherboard. :thumbup: I don't know why your version doesn't, though.

borbo120 said:
One other question, speaking of Thunderbolt to video/DVI adapters, do these draw on the HD4000 graphics engine, which I think only mirrors one of the video outputs from my Nvidia 560ti, should it work at all, rather than provide a third or additional screen along with the video coming out of the 2 ports on the video card? I suspect that is the case, but I'm not sure. Getting a 560ti(GE=yes) to work with the HD4000 on board(GE=no) is problematic to say the least. But with a Nvidia 600 series card(GE=no), I believe one can get the HD4000 on board graphics engine to work along with a Nvidia 600 series video card. What I don't know is whether the HD4000 video would only mirror one of the Nvidia ports, which wouldn't be very useful..
In this initial version of Intel's Thunderbolt, the Thunderbolt to video only works with the on-board HD4000 - it doesn't have any interaction with any Graphics card. I now have a EVGA GTX650 Ti card installed, and I couldn't get any interaction with the graphics card. I have only seen very expensive solutions like this one: http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt

A good article on the current 1st generation implementation of the Thunderbolt can be found in the Tom's Hardware artilcle Everything You Need To Know About Thunderbolt

Update: This Anandtech report states that, running Windoze (not OS X) using the Lucid's Virtu GPU virtualization software,
I installed a GeForce GTX 680 along with Lucid's Virtu GPU virtualization software to see if I could use the 680 for gaming but drive the display using Intel's processor graphics and the Thunderbolt port. The setup worked flawlessly.

Virtu recognized the configuration immediately once I had NVIDIA's drivers installed, and I was able to run the 680 headless - using only the Thunderbolt port to drive the external display. Intel's HD 4000 powered things in Windows, while the 680 kicked in for games.

The Apple T-bolt to FW 800 adapter uses a special and unique mini display port plug which does not fit into the Z77X-UP5TH Thunderbolt ports. I sure Apple did this in order to make it useful only to the owners of Apple hardware.

Where are you getting this information? Do you have the actual Apple version of the T'bolt to FW800 adapter? And have you actually tried to insert it into either of the Thunderbolt ports? The plug is "keyed" so it only fits in a certain way - you may have been trying to connect it upside down.

I have the Apple adapter and there is no proprietary design of the Thunderbolt end of the adapter. Thunderbolt is a standard, just like USB, eSATA, Firewire, etc. As you can see in the image below, I have my FW800 drive/enclosure successfully attached using the Apple adapter, and it works perfectly fine. The drive enclosure is a FW800/FW400/USB2 enclosure from MacSales.com/Other World Computing. The drive inside the enclosure is a 500MB Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200RPM drive.
TB drives.jpg

Yes, I bought this Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter at a local Apple Computer store, and the plug on the Thunderbolt end does not fit into the Z77X-UP5TH's Thunderbolt ports no matter what I try to do. I examined the Apple Thunderbolt adapter carefully, and although it looks OK, it doesn't fit because the black tongue in the Gigabyte port where the contacts are is wider than the female Apple Thunderbolt end on the adapter. I called the Apple store and asked them if there was more than one of these Apple adapters, but they didn't think so. The only reference I have found to this problem is in Wikipedia which mentioned that Apple's version of the Mini-display port plug was(if I recall correctly) a 1.1 version and was not the standard size. I am aware that it is keyed and only fits one way, but this plug simply doesn't fit.

I know this all sounds unlikely, especially since others have been using the Apple adapter with their Thunderbolt rigs. Regardless, I am taking mine back to this Apple store for a refund...

I had the same problem until I realized that the fascia (face plate) for the TB ports that comes with the MB have a lip that needs to be bent back during installation. I have 2 Cinema Displays with mini display ports that fit just fine.

I had the same problem until I realized that the fascia (face plate) for the TB ports that comes with the MB have a lip that needs to be bent back during installation. I have 2 Cinema Displays with mini display ports that fit just fine.

Oregonduckman - you're absolutely right, the locking tabs for the Thunderbolt ports on the I/O shield needed to be bent back. Sorry I didn't see this initially. The Apple firewire adapter works fine. Thanks again...

Did You know, that the old Dell 2711 can show 98% Adobe RGB ? The 2713 has only sRGB coverage and with LED backlight a quite cold native white, while the 2711 has the conventional backlight which is native closer to 6300K, but needs more power.

BTW, I have an Apple 23" ACD which works great with my hacks. However, it doesn't work with Gigabyte's UEFI BIOS; the GA-Z77 will show the BIOS LOGO page, but at a reduced size with a big black border. Upon using the DEL key, the UEFI BIOS looks like this guy's picture: http://www.overclock.net/t/1252984/my-gigabyte-ga-z77mx-d3h-has-some-serious-bios-issues Gigabyte, so far, hasn't fixed the problem despite the 100's of posts via Google on the subject.

So, as a heads up, Apple's ACD are great monitors, but...

BTW, I have an Apple 23" ACD which works great with my hacks. However, it doesn't work with Gigabyte's UEFI BIOS; the GA-Z77 will show the BIOS LOGO page, but at a reduced size with a big black border. Upon using the DEL key, the UEFI BIOS looks like this guy's picture: http://www.overclock.net/t/1252984/my-gigabyte-ga-z77mx-d3h-has-some-serious-bios-issues Gigabyte, so far, hasn't fixed the problem despite the 100's of posts via Google on the subject.

So, as a heads up, Apple's ACD are great monitors, but...

Not all Cinema Displays are bad with UEFI, the Cinema Display 24" works pretty well!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 666
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back