Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

You can lead a horse to water, but... Your 6950 won't work with Apple's OS X - not Snow Leopard; not Lion; not Mountain Lion.

However, rumor has it that 10.8.3 (when it's released) will have AMD/ATI 79xx card support, but no 69xx series support.

Yeah I apologize for not seeing your post before my last one. An unfortunate casualty to have a card I can't use.

I've got a decent place-holder until I can get a 660.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly pleased with this motherboard and the resources you've provided by sharing your build.

Thanks!

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Excellent! I'm glad you got it working.

HD4000 has worked for me in my computing needs as does HD3000. However, I'm not a game player. The most taxing use on my systems is GarageBand and YouTube and Netflix which all work well.

However, when I picked up a GTX 650 Ti card and got it working....well, WHOA NELLIE! It was actually fun to run the benchmark programs. :D

my 27" 2560x1440 dell u2713m works on both MDP1 and MDP2!

U2713H or U2713HM? I am very strongly considering the U2713H.

Thanks!

This is the Supplemental Update we're discussion: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609

Are you thinking of this one: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1600

While neither Apple tech note addresses the 7-series chipset correction in it's write-up, I'm more likely to believe it's in the 2nd Supplement Update for all Macs since the first referenced tech note is for the new MacBook Pro's and Air's. However, I was wrong about 19 years ago about something, too, so... :D IIRC, the later Supplement Update is in the Install Mountain Lion.app since the it's release.

Stork, I can confirm Bimmer's experience. Only after the "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0" install did my SATA ports show up as "Intel 7 Series Chipset". Before that, even with the 10.8.2 Supplemental patch, they showed up as "Unknown" in profiler.

Also, after the "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0" install, TRIM goes back to not supported, and the TRIM patch in MultiBeast 5.2.1 does not patch the new driver properly. I hacked around with 0xED and found that the new driver's strings are in a slightly different order that breaks that patch. Here is the working patch for this version of the AHCI driver:

perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x54)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Hope that helps someone.

U2713H or U2713HM? I am very strongly considering the U2713H.

Thanks!

I have the U2713HM, i bought it direct from dell. 3 year warranty... color calibrated from the factory...

pretty close to the same exact LG panel as the Apple Cinema Display, same resolution, same color specs (99% sRGB color), if not better... and a MATTE finish...

No glare, no reflections...

display port, dvi-d, vga, and hdmi...

...as well as a 4 port USB 3.0 hub built in!

I couldn't be happier!

It's a great monitor.

I have bad vision. I, too, have been watching the prices drop on 27" IPS type of monitors. I put the 650 Ti in anticipation of replacing my HP ZR24W with a 27" IPS monitor. Last month, MacMan pointed out the Dell U2713HM which I found on Amazon for a short time for $650. I didn't jump on it, but now expect we'll see the price of quality 27 IPS monitors approaching the $600 price.

Anandtech.com had a good review stating that this Dell is the best of the WQHD of the lower cost versions (excludes Apple & NEC).

Has anyone tried out the Amazon Chinese knockoffs of the Apple displays with the same panel? They can be had for around $400 apparently and don't guarantee less than 6 stuck pixels I think (b stock panels). I heard they won't work with Apple computers?

Does anyone has try to mod G5 case with Stork's config?
Need Help!

mntbighker,
When Anandtech.com reviewed the Dell U2713HM, the reviewer had some comments on the new wave of IPS monitors from Korea that were in the $400 price range. They lack calibration functions which means you're stuck with the WYSIWYG colors (calibration) as there are no adjustments on the monitor. So, you get what you pay for. (BTW, the Dell is an Ultrasharp model and comes factory calibrated with appropriate papers and has full calibration adjustments.)

gameboy35,
I have not seen or heard of anyone using the TH series in a G5 case mod. I am going to mod my late 2005 G5, which is still working BTW, sometime in 2013. I had planned to put one of my Zorro systems into it, but I just might put the TH components into it. Stay tune for film at 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back