Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

you need to do a apple thunderbolt Kext roll back. i can't remember properly but when i tested maverick, i did an upgrade who worked great, and i decided to do a clean instal and my promise raid was not working anymore. could not do anything until someone ( stinga11 or stork ?) told me to find a 10.8.4 kext for thunderbolt, and since then it has worked good until i sold the R6 to go to a areca 1680 with 16 drive.

Thanks much! I thought there must be some trick to this, I will try the kext that's working in Mavericks.

I suppose I should stop being lazy and roll my own RAID, the Drobo's been super reliable for me though. I used a SYBA SD-ADA40085 to raid 0 two crucial m500s (msata) into a blazing-fast 1TB SSD boot drive!

Last edited:
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

Thank you for your report. I away from Thunderbolt until next week so I'll look forward to your posting(s). I'm still not a fan of Yosemite's GUI, and 10.10.3 is still getting the same old bug reports (WiFi and Time Machine) and reports indicate that 10.10.3 eliminated some earlier AMD graphics card drivers. So, I'll probably stick with Mavericks 10.9.5 until Yosemite .4 is released to see the results, but I'll keep a tell partition with the latest Yosemite.

Hi Stork, I have tried a few times to upgrade from Mavericks (10.9.5) to Yosemite (10.10.3) using Unibeast 5.1.0 and Multibeast 7.3.0 to install Yosemite over my Mavericks install. At the first try I selected my complete saved Multibeast configuration but ended up in a stop signal. I switched to BoomR's BIOS settings but that didn't change he issue. Then I tried using a reduced configuration (without USB3 and TRIM kexts) and was able to successfully boot Yosemite with audio and FaceTime video working fine.
After backing up my configuration (SuperDuper) I added Multibeast 10.10.3 TRIM support without problems. I was using Cindori's Trim Enabler before but could not get it to work.
I have not yet tried installing the USB3 kext, I'm not sure if I have to: my Bitfenix USB3 ports seem to function OK only I don't know yet if it's on USB3 speed.

I'm still on Mavericks 10.9.5, but have several OS X test partitions. Unfortunately, I've neglected updating to 10.10.3 due to being busy with my Haswell systems. So, I'll get busy with Thunderball shortly.

BTW, you don't need the GenericUSBXHCI kext with Ivy Bridge and newer. So, your USB 3 should work.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

I did a fresh install of Yosemite 10.10.3 on my test drive. It was painless - no problems. Consequently, I've updated my build description to reflect a fresh Yosemite description. I also added BBEdit code anchors to create a Table of Contents to make the build description easier to navigate.

What Works
Sleep/Wake-up - no audio after wake-up, but see the build description for a temporary solution
Access to the Apple Mac App Store
iCloud
FaceTime

To Test
iMessages

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

I did a fresh install of Yosemite 10.10.3 on my test drive. It was painless - no problems. Consequently, I've updated my build description to reflect a fresh Yosemite description. I also added BBEdit code anchors to create a Table of Contents to make the build description easier to navigate.

What Works
Sleep/Wake-up - no audio after wake-up, but see the build description for a temporary solution
Access to the Apple Mac App Store
iCloud
FaceTime

To Test
iMessages
In your configuration you also included "USB 3.0 - Universal" and "Apple ACPIPlatform Rollback" but I understood both are not needed anymore. Also you installed "Sandy Bridge Core i7" and "Mac mini 5.1" system definition (in stead of 3.1) why?

In your configuration you also included "USB 3.0 - Universal" and "Apple ACPIPlatform Rollback" but I understood both are not needed anymore. Also you installed "Sandy Bridge Core i7" and "Mac mini 5.1" system definition (in stead of 3.1) why?
Oh No! :crazy: Thank you for catching my mistake. I inadvertently inserted the MultiBeast configuration screen snapshot from my Zorro build. Here's Thunderball's MultiBeast for Yosemite configuration screen snapshot as now seen in the OP build description.

136011-thunderbolt-min-mb-configuration.png

I also added the new Sound System Preference setting needed for Yosemite.

Thanks again for catching my mistake. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Stork,
Have you tried to run Apple Cinema Display with the Thunderbolt connection?
I am thinking of changing my motherboard so I can use the apple cinema display. I like the glossy feel of the Apple Cinema Display.
Currently I have the Wildwillow golden build and I am thinking of changing the motherboard to run Apple cinema Display with Thunderbold display. I am using Innno3d GX770 2GB which only have Dvi, HDMI connection.

Hi Stork,
Have you tried to run Apple Cinema Display with the Thunderbolt connection?
I am thinking of changing my motherboard so I can use the apple cinema display. I like the glossy feel of the Apple Cinema Display.
Currently I have the Wildwillow golden build and I am thinking of changing the motherboard to run Apple cinema Display with Thunderbold display. I am using Innno3d GX770 2GB which only have Dvi, HDMI connection.
No, I don't use a newer ACD. I use Dell Ultrasharps. However, I still have a 23" ACD with a DVI connection, but I don't use it as my primary monitor as it doesn't negotiate with the BIOS to get a BIOS display. I don't know if the newer mDP ACD have that problem.

Rebooting today I bumped into the issue "error parting plist, pausing 5 seconds" that MacMerlin has fixed:
For some reason the com.apple.Boot.plist at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration was corrupted with kext-dev-mode=1. This conflicted with the MultiBeast plist in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, which also contained a kext-dev-mode=1 entry. Deleting the com.apple.Boot.plist plist fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back