Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

I tried upgrading from 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10.2 to see if I could get the audio and FaceTime video on my Apple Thunderbolt to work all of but my upgrade attempts failed.

I created a Yosemite installation USB stick as described in MacMan's guide.
After booting Yosemity and via the USB stick boot option, running Multibeast and rebooting the system gets stuck loading the OS X Yosemity.
After doing some searches on the forum I found a possible solution: Install the Apple 10.9.5 ACPI Rollback kext. I added this kext to my Multibeast setup, but this did not improve the situation. Also tried not installing the USB 3.0 kext and all combinations of those 2, but none of them worked.

After this I tried to boot again using boot flag -x which resulted in "memory allocation error", I was flabbergasted could I also be suffering from a memory problem? I am not aware of having any memory issues up to now.....

Anyone else experienced similar issues, or do I really have to buy a memory replacement?

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7 3770, HD4000 -->ACD with usb sound

usbmsc identifier (non-unique) error (fix found?)

Used Chimera v4.0.1 Multibeast 7.1 and most recent Unibeast.

Since upgrading from Maverick to Yosemite I have had nothing but problems. I did a fresh install of Yosemite. I have done several fresh installs. They work for a while then when I restart they lock up at the apple screen. Using -v boot flag. I usually find usbmsc identifier (non-unique) error. I can boot using -x and try to modify multibeast and nothing worked. I was considering giving up and just using the windows 8.1 which is part of my build and wait for upgrades in the future or reformat and go back to Maverick.

Alas, I found that adding the boot flag -f enabled me to boot right into my mac and everything that matters to me seems to work. I don't use imessage or hibernate my mac since I prefer to keep it on to stream audio to sonos and media to plex.

My question is what does the boot flag -f do?
Is there another way to add this so I don't have to type it in with each restart.
Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks

I see this thread is still pretty active, so I thought this might be a good place to get some help. I already posted a question but it has gotten less than zero responses, so I'll try again here.

My work recently supplied me with a 27" Thunderbolt display for my existing MacBook Pro. That works great so as far as work is concerned, they are done. I have a custom Mac that I use as my primary personal computer. Prior to the monitor upgrade, I had been using an old DVI acer monitor.

I have a
GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard and I am using the integrated graphics card. What can I do at this point to enable my Custom Mac to be able to with with the Thunderbolt display? Based on everything I've read, I'll need either a new motherboard + thunderbolt expansion card or a new motherboard that has the thunderbolt connection integrated directly.

Can someone give me some guidance with what to purchase?

I see this thread is still pretty active, so I thought this might be a good place to get some help. I already posted a question but it has gotten less than zero responses, so I'll try again here.

My work recently supplied me with a 27" Thunderbolt display for my existing MacBook Pro. That works great so as far as work is concerned, they are done. I have a custom Mac that I use as my primary personal computer. Prior to the monitor upgrade, I had been using an old DVI acer monitor.

I have a
GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard and I am using the integrated graphics card. What can I do at this point to enable my Custom Mac to be able to with with the Thunderbolt display? Based on everything I've read, I'll need either a new motherboard + thunderbolt expansion card or a new motherboard that has the thunderbolt connection integrated directly.

Can someone give me some guidance with what to purchase?
See tonymacx86's thread > http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ex-ii-pcie-expansion-card-testing-thread.html.

Check also the User/Golden Builds forum sections for Z8/9 TH based systems as well as the Mavericks and Yosemite Guides forum sections.

Gigabyte has an add-on Thunderbolt 2 card, too, but only works on select Gigabyte X99 motherboards, which are very expensive. Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive solutions.

Unfortunately, the Gigabyte Z8/9 TH based systems require Windows 8 to install the drivers to make the Thunderbolt 2 work in OS X. (Evidently, Windows recognizes a Thunderbolt motherboard and automatically installs the update to the Gigabyte BIOS.)

@zero21xxx
If your just trying to use it as a monitor. Get a gpu with mini display port and you'll be set.

@zero21xxx
If your just trying to use it as a monitor. Get a gpu with mini display port and you'll be set.
+1, amgclk65. I concur. :thumbup:

Yeah all I care about right now is using it as a monitor so I don't need to keep my old one around.

Any specific suggestion for the GPU? I looked at all the GPU's listed on the current buyers guide and none of them have a Mini DisplayPort. I also went to Newegg and did a search for cards with mini display ports with GTX700 series chips and only came back with one result for 400 dollars. Is there one out there for less that has been confirmed working on a custom Mac?

Can anyone confirm that a display port > mini display port (thunderbolt) doesn't work?

There's plenty AMD gpu with mini display ports. Most 7000 series gpu work. also display port to mini display port adapters work as well. If you go the AMD route. I would use clover for a bootloader. Chimera needs so work to boot with AMD Cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back