Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

I've just migrated thanks to you, Stork, due to a weird USB issue that causes a window to pop up every 30 sec on Mountain Lion (it's pumping too much energy)… The window becomes a notification on Yosemite, and it finally disappears after wake up. Doesn't happen on Windows 8.1, and all my USBs work fine.

The LoadHDA is a game changer for me, because the mute sound after wake up prevented me to updating all this time, as I barely restart two or three times a week, if it doesn't crash. :)

But this motherboard is kind of a disappointment for me. I bought it for the better ALC898 (at the time), and the headphone output sounds more dynamic on Yosemite than it did on Mountain Lion, but I've had my share of random freezes and LCC driver failing to load over the past couple years.

Of the six motherboards I've bought since 2007, the very best were the Gigabyte 6 series (H67m-something, then z67mx-ud3h). I should have stick to it and save 350€ for the upgrade. Or maybe enjoy a Macbook Pro Retina, since I don't game on PC anymore…

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

I've just migrated thanks to you, Stork, due to a weird USB issue that causes a window to pop up every 30 sec on Mountain Lion (it's pumping too much energy)… The window becomes a notification on Yosemite, and it finally disappears after wake up. Doesn't happen on Windows 8.1, and all my USBs work fine.
It happens on my Mac Pros, too. It's an Apple problem as documented in Apple's Discussions community. (It's a constant complaint on MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section's USB thread discussions.)

The LoadHDA is a game changer for me, because the mute sound after wake up prevented me to updating all this time, as I barely restart two or three times a week, if it doesn't crash. :)
LoadHDA is a god send. I'm hoping that Apple fixes this bug.

But this motherboard is kind of a disappointment for me. I bought it for the better ALC898 (at the time), and the headphone output sounds more dynamic on Yosemite than it did on Mountain Lion, but I've had my share of random freezes and LCC driver failing to load over the past couple years.
Make sure you're running the last BIOS version. If you have Windows on your system, you can update your Window's drivers. There is also some updates of the motherboard's chipsets software which might help your problems. I noticed that the Windows Realtek HD driver was updated August 2015. BTW, the chipset software updates are after the Windows drivers. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4279#dl.

Of the six motherboards I've bought since 2007, the very best were the Gigabyte 6 series (H67m-something, then z67mx-ud3h). I should have stick to it and save 350€ for the upgrade. Or maybe enjoy a Macbook Pro Retina, since I don't game on PC anymore…
Concur. I have two Z68X-UD3H (Zorro and Son-of-Zorro) and a Z68MX-D3H which is in my Mac Pro case mod. I still used these three systems. With the tonymacx86 DSDTs, they...just...work! Love 'em.

I run Bios F11. I tried F12 (while still in beta, I think), but I couldn't boot OS X with it. Had to switch back.
I'll try to update the software for windows, first.

Talking about weird, note the memory speed on the "capture" attachment. My RAM are 2400 MHz Avexir Core Series (CL10). Not a single error on memory test. Should be crazy fast, but I get poor results on Geekbench. See second attachment.
And Mavericks gradually eats up free memory for no reason, according to iStat Menus. Yosemite does the same, but it seems to stop after sleep.

Attachments

• capture.tiff
    68.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Geekbench.tiff
    51.8 KB · Views: 89

I run Bios F11. I tried F12 (while still in beta, I think), but I couldn't boot OS X with it. Had to switch back.
I'll try to update the software for windows, first.

Talking about weird, note the memory speed on the "capture" attachment. My RAM are 2400 MHz Avexir Core Series (CL10). Not a single error on memory test. Should be crazy fast, but I get poor results on Geekbench. See second attachment.
And Mavericks gradually eats up free memory for no reason, according to iStat Menus. Yosemite does the same, but it seems to stop after sleep.
I'm running F12 release version. No issues with memory leaks. Might be an application you're using. Make sure your applications are up to date, too.

Update: just a thought but use the latest version of MultiBeast for Yosemite to just update FakeSMC and the FakeSMC Plugins. That might help iStat.

I did a fresh install from scratch yesterday, with the latest release of Unibeast & Multibeast, and I just manually imported a few preferences and Application Support datas from my user account library, so I'm safe on that side. iStat works fine, now that I have installed the plug-in. The memory leak seems gone too, for whatever reason, but my hackintosh just failed to wake up. Had to hard reboot. It was the third sleep/wakeup, so I guess I won't be able to put it to sleep for ten minutes, like I am used to.

Sleep by the power button doesn't work and the option is gone in Yosemite's System Pref/Energy Saver. Like Pages 5, I love it when Apple kill features!

Thanks for the tip about the Bios. I'll give a try to F12 once I have a better drive than the 40GB HDD clone we joked about, quite some time ago. I shrank the size of Yosemite by getting rid of foreign languages and asian fonts. It's bearable being half full, but I can't install Adobe CS6 on that crap, and I'm wondering whether I'd rather buy a 3rd SSD or an HDD. I don't miss HDD noise —my rig is dead silent, thanks to Be Quiet! PSU, heatsink and fans— but a 128GB SSD costs as much as the good old 2TB WD Green that died on me, last year. (I didn't lose any data, thanks to SMART warnings.) Being able to clone the whole SSD would be much more convenient than moving around 160GB of data.
Maybe one of those 2.5 SSHDs would be a good choice. I'll do my homework, cause Seagate's not known for making silent drives…

Haswell wasn't worth the upgrade to me, moreover after the Euro's collapse, but I guess I'll have to stay on touch about Skylake and 10.11 for the future, cause this hackintosh will get on my nerves pretty quick. :/

Try disabling the Wake on LAN BIOS option to correct the sleep problem. Also, uncheck the WoL in the Energy Saver System Preference Pane.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Both are always disabled, as a precaution: I won't help hackers "ashley-madison" my data. :D

Yosemite Boot Error

Stork,

Thanks for for your previous reply. I figured out that error as being my AMD 280 graphics card. Have done the boot loader and extras file to EFI partition and all worked.

However, I now have another issue. Yosemite boots normally until I do a migration assisted transfer from my Mavericks setup. After that the Yosemite takes forever to load and then fails on the grey screen. eventually I'll get a symbol looking like a circle with a angled line through it in the centre of the screen.

I did did a verbose load and I get the following. image.jpg

Both are always disabled, as a precaution: I won't help hackers "ashley-madison" my data. :D
:eek:

Stork,

Thanks for for your previous reply. I figured out that error as being my AMD 280 graphics card. Have done the boot loader and extras file to EFI partition and all worked.

However, I now have another issue. Yosemite boots normally until I do a migration assisted transfer from my Mavericks setup. After that the Yosemite takes forever to load and then fails on the grey screen. eventually I'll get a symbol looking like a circle with a angled line through it in the centre of the screen.

I did did a verbose load and I get the following.
Ah, the Migration Assistant! When you use the Migration Assistant, you need to uncheck "Other Files" (I think that's what it's called) as this brings over the "stuff" that causes your problem. So, unfortunately, you'll have to reinstall Yosemite. However, you could clone your Mavericks installation onto the Yosemite targeted drive, using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, then install Yosemite onto the cloned Mavericks installation. If you do this, then, use tonymacx86's http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast.html.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Minor Issues

:) Thanks all sorted. Now that it's up and running I'm still having some minor issues:

1. Despite installing FakeSMC no fan speeds or CPU temps exhibited in HWmonitor or Istats. Hardrive temps and other items still shown.
  2. No Thunderbolt being exhibited in system info.

Still slowly going through to find any other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back