Contribute
Register

[UPDATED] lxLifestream's P8Z68 Deluxe - i7-2600K - XFX 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: lxLifestream's P8Z68 Deluxe - i7-2600K - Radeon HD 6870

videoMan said:
Thank you for this post! I've been considering building a hackintosh with nearly identical specs. Good to hear things went smoothly.

lxlifestream said:
My goal was to build the most expensive CustoBuild posted by TonyMac. After not even a week having the board I decided I didn't like it at all, and had some problems with it. So I sent that back, got a refund, and bought the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe after reading a good review of it on the forums.

Curiously, what board did you have before?
And could you possibly link to that good review you found? I'd like to read it.

Thanks!

+1, was it the UD3 board?
I just had a new UD4 arrive and I'd love to get an ASUS P8Z68 but was afraid the hackint0sh support wouldn't be as good... maybe i should just go for it haha

michaelrw10 said:
videoMan said:
Thank you for this post! I've been considering building a hackintosh with nearly identical specs. Good to hear things went smoothly.

lxlifestream said:
My goal was to build the most expensive CustoBuild posted by TonyMac. After not even a week having the board I decided I didn't like it at all, and had some problems with it. So I sent that back, got a refund, and bought the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe after reading a good review of it on the forums.

Thanks!

+1, was it the UD3 board?
I just had a new UD4 arrive and I'd love to get an ASUS P8Z68 but was afraid the hackint0sh support wouldn't be as good... maybe i should just go for it haha

It was the ga-z68x-ud5-b3, it was a pain the the butt! I hated it, the board looked nice, and had dts dolby, but just was a hassle to get working.

And the support is amazing! Everything works! No patching, mostly everything on the board works out of the box! You should go for it! (the P8Z68 Deluxe of course)

videoMan said:

lxlifestream said:

Thanks!
It was the ga-z68x-ud5-b3.
And I can't remember the post, I'm on my phone right now.
But he pretty much said what I said! Everything practically works out of the box! Speedstepper needs patched, but that's it. I was running without a dsdt for a couple months, and still don't need one, I finally extracted mine, but the only difference it made was changed something in system info, like the manufacter of the Sata port my hard drive is connected to. Its an amazing build in my option!

And without over clocking (yet) I get about 13,000-14,000 geekbench.

Edit: I found the post Click Here
He had the same board as me from the start to, he inspired me to get mine, you'll see I posted on it too, I've had this board since then and still going strong!
He links to a guide, but just do what I said about, it's a lot quicker!

ScreenShot2012-02-29at122240PM.png

Hi lxlifestream, I've got nearly the same build (except for Power supply and graphics card is a GTX 580), but for some unknown reason the Snow Leopard DVD refuses to move beyond the loading phase.

I've installed the Mac OS X-friendly bios from here -
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49340

thereafter tried a bunch of different boot flags with iBoot 3.2.0
-x
PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1
darkwake=0
npci=0x2000

and combinations thereof, but always craps out on me and keeps getting stuck during boot after the console shows the following text (in many cases):
warning couldn't set recording source to microphone

Is there anything specific I should be doing that I'm probably not doing, from your note it sounds like you didn't have to mess around with anything.

xwing said:
Hi lxlifestream, I've got nearly the same build (except for Power supply and graphics card is a GTX 580), but for some unknown reason the Snow Leopard DVD refuses to move beyond the loading phase.

I've installed the Mac OS X-friendly bios from here -
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49340

thereafter tried a bunch of different boot flags with iBoot 3.2.0
-x
PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1
darkwake=0
npci=0x2000

and combinations thereof, but always craps out on me and keeps getting stuck during boot after the console shows the following text (in many cases):
warning couldn't set recording source to microphone

Is there anything specific I should be doing that I'm probably not doing, from your note it sounds like you didn't have to mess around with anything.

Is that the last thing it says? Do me a favor, load it up, wait a good couple minutes, then take a picture and post it. I can help :)
It could always be your graphics card, i don't think OS X supports the 580 OOB, but nvidia just came out with new drivers to support the 580.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51853

Download link is in that thread.

Also... What did you install using multibeast for audio? You have the same Mobo right?
You should have only installed the ALC889, no voodoo or anything.

The GTX 580 will currently work with a patch for the device ID in the next version of MultiBeast. Check NIVIDA's web site for the new released Apple kexts.

Stork said:
The GTX 580 will currently work with a patch for the device ID in the next version of MultiBeast. Check NIVIDA's web site for the new released Apple kexts.
Thanks Stork. So does that mean I can't even startup the installation in safe mode if I have a GTX 580? Is there a way to use an alternate kext during boot-up & if so how would I go about doing that?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, but doesn't the multibeast part come after you've got a basic install up and running? My problem is I've yet to get to even the first basic install screen.

xwing said:
Sorry for the noob-ish questions, but doesn't the multibeast part come after you've got a basic install up and running? My problem is I've yet to get to even the first basic install screen.

Nix! MultiBeast should come up first (make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the flash drive). The issue for me was I hadn't enabled S.M.A.R.T. status but might be different on your board. Boot from the USB and then on the UniBeast screen select the drive you want to boot from as this will force it to boot. Hope this helped!

Mbar97 said:
xwing said:

Nix! MultiBeast should come up first (make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the flash drive). The issue for me was I hadn't enabled S.M.A.R.T. status but might be different on your board. Boot from the USB and then on the UniBeast screen select the drive you want to boot from as this will force it to boot. Hope this helped!
I'm trying to install Snow Leopard (not Lion). Wish I had access to Lion, but all I have is a Snow Leopard retail DVD at the moment, so doubt Unibeast will cut it for me. Will I also have to remove RAM sticks until I have only 4GB? I've read conflicting reports around that with the more recent ones stating that Snow Leopard install works even with 16 GB?

PS: I'd tried disabling S.M.A.R.T earlier but it did not give me success.

xwing said:
Mbar97 said:
xwing said:

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard (not Lion). Wish I had access to Lion, but all I have is a Snow Leopard retail DVD at the moment, so doubt Unibeast will cut it for me. Will I also have to remove RAM sticks until I have only 4GB? I've read conflicting reports around that with the more recent ones stating that Snow Leopard install works even with 16 GB?

PS: I'd tried disabling S.M.A.R.T earlier but it did not give me success.

Both Lion and Snow Leopard worked with 16gb installed for me on the P8Z68 Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back