Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Mojave

GA-Z77N-WIFI REALTEK ALC 892 High Sierra

Installed High Sierra Multibeast Clover and ALC.

Disconnected all drives except High Sierra boot drive.

Downloaded Mojave update from App Store.

Updated

After a few reboots everything including sound went PERFECTLY.

FYI In the past I've found that having other drives attached confuse updates.

Another successful upgrade from High Sierra.
  1. Downloaded Mojave using the installinstallmacos.py script (it's very handy for selecting macOS versions).
  2. Mirrored most of pastrychef's Mojave EFI configuration from here.
  3. Installed Mojave (it took about 30', on a 970 Evo).
  4. After the upgrade, I had several issues with sleep/wake:
    • reboots on wake where solved by:
      • following itwas's suggestion from here and deleting all the com.apple.PowerManagement.* files in /Library/Preferences.
    • auto wake/sleep looping after sleep, was solved by:
      • adding the "change MEI to IMEI" patch in Acpi > Patches in Clover.
      • Update: Corrected my ssdt-usb.aml and solved this. The patch above is not needed.
    • unintentionally waking from sleep after a while, was solved by:
      • disabling "ErP" in the BIOS.
      • enabling "FixWAK" in Acpi > Fixes in Clover.
      • Update: Both of the above didn't really solve the problem, so the changes were reverted. It was caused by the new power management option "Proximity Wake". Disabling it with "sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0", as reported here, solved the problem.

Last edited:
The upgrade was smooth.

Only sound problem when started, but fix when removing all audio patches.

Screenshot 2018-10-11 at 18.23.44.png

Does anybody know if this guide works for updating from Sierra to Mojave? I never bothered updating to High Sierra.
I just did that yesterday:

I upgraded one of my Lenovo Thinkstation E20 (4222, Desktop 3 in my signature) from Sierra directly to Mojave.

After install, it would not boot anymore. This is because I came direct from Sierra and forgot to take the steps to enable APFS boot. I was able to get it to boot by inserting the Mojave USB stick I had previously built using UniBeast, and pressing F12 so I could tell BIOS to boot from the internal SSD - then somehow it would load the apfs driver from the USB stick and I could choose the correct partition to boot from.

I ended up copying the contents of drivers64 from the EFI partition on the USB stick, to the empty drivers64 in the internal SSD's EFI partition. After that, it would boot natively from the internal drive.

Everything seems to be working except for video. It's an Nvidia 8600GTS card. Since upgrading, the fan is on constantly and it doesn't "look" right. Did they drop support for the old Nvidia cards? Do I need a new driver or something? This one "just worked" with Sierra, I am pretty sure I didn't have to do anything at all except maybe turn on an "Inject nvidia" flag which as far as I can tell is still turned on.

Today, I updated Clover to 4700. Now it sticks on apple logo and won't boot. Will work on it more this evening, hopefully I can still get it to boot using the USB stick and roll it back to whatever version I had or figure out what the issue is.

I note that the OP says there's another forum section for asking questions, I will do that if I don't figure this out. Leaving this post here for reference detailing why the guide didn't work for me, because I had skipped High Sierra and its steps for enabling APFS support.

Last edited:
I updated after changing from a GTX 1050 to a Sapphire RX 560 4GB using the method in Stork's My Hero II build with additional assistance from Pastrychef. I had tried methods from other posts but always ended with black display. So the only graphics kexts I have are Lilu and WhateverGreen, and the Graphics page in config.plist is all unchecked and blank. That worked so well that I didn't do the insertion to config.plist that Stork advised, mainly because I didn't understand some of the technical aspects. That may be why during the Mojave upgrade, after the first 15 minutes or so, the display was black but the install was obviously proceeding (disk activity). And at the end the first Clover boot screen and Mojave login appeared and all was well.
The only other preparations for the upgrade were updating Clover and kexts. Everything in Mojave works well -- sleep, wake, shutdown, handoff, continuity, wi-fi. I've been using a Xonar USB sound device since Sierra days. So, another happy Radeon convert.
The Build Signature edit page needs an update -- the RX 560 doesn't appear in the Sapphire list.

Last edited:
I was trying to update and now when I boot to the drive on my pc's BIOS I can't get to clover and it gives me an error. Can someone help?

GA h77n-wifi
Core i5 - 3570
AMD Radeon Amour RX570 OC 8GB
16 gb RAM
WD blue 250
I managed to get Majavi to install without a hitch - for the install part.
I had no audio so I reinstalled MultiBeast ALCxxx for my build no luck, next time I added Optional 3 port 5.1 Audio and it worked. I had not tried that previously.
Checked the - "configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.” But fortunately there was nothing I needed to do, or I could see. Maybe it was the audio but I missed it. No ... so far so good...

Now everything works.Still waiting for nvidia web drivers.

Back