Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Mojave

Success! I updated from apple store and everything works in my Z170X Skylake build!
/kexts
I first updated clover, I then installed the new Lillu, WhateEverGreen and AppleALC kexts to kexts/Others but also to /Library/Extensions as stated from jaymonkey (here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/), removed anything sound related from my clover config.plist.
Never used the apfs.efi instead I followed Khaibit's suggestion and enabled
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, PartitionDxe-64.efi, and AptioMemoryFix-64.efi (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...the-mac-app-store.259610/page-20#post-1813330).

Rebooted, my Ssd was automatically converted to APFS and after a couple restarts I now have fully working Mohave install.

Thanks to jaymonkey, Khaibit and off course to tonymac and the Wonderfull Hackintosh community!:clap::headbang:

Thanks @cretans ( and others) this worked for me on my Skylake Z170X build as well.
Only other things I had to do was
1. enable iGPU in Bios -----> fix for quicklook jpegs not working.
2. Roll back IO80211Family.kext plug-in "AirPortAtheros40.kext" and put it into /Library/Extensions to get my older TP-Link WDN4800 working again.
So far everything has been working, although I haven't tested sleep as I don't sleep my Hackintosh.
Thanks for sharing the info
Regards
Fish

Here's another "It worked fine for me too!" post.

However, I think it's important to note that, although it did go exactly to plan for me (updated directly from App Store with reboots and done), there was more than one very very long "stall" where I was really sure the install had completely stopped working. Luckily, I was busy with other things so I just let it sit there doing (what appeared to be) nothing and it did eventually "unstall" (obviously). So, wait it out, if it looks like it's frozen. I'd say altogether it took about an hour to do the whole thing.

The Upgrade from Sierra, not HighSierra, to Mojave worked without any problems...

- Updated Clover to: Clover_v2.4k_r4674

- Updated EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other: FakeSMC.kext

- Updated EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI with newer versions(just to be sure, I didn't touch anything since i tried HighSierra)
updated the following: ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleImageLoader-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi, AppleUISupport-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, DataHubDxe-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, FirmwareVolume-64.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi,VBoxHfs-64.efi

- removed apfs.efi

- Installed Mojave through App Store

GFX works OTB, perfectly with 2 screens (doesn't need Lilu/WhateverGreen anymore, unlike Sierra).
iMessage, iCloud, Bluetooth, WiFi, handoff etc works without probs.

Only issue I had was the sound: To fix; I installed VoodooHDA 2.9.0 Clover-V12.

GL!

I updated directly and it went fine, except for loosing USB 3 ports and internal audio. I already solved the USB ports thanks to some dedicated threads.

I was pleasingly surprised that this new OS brings some performance improvements - I ran benchmarks and both the CPU (7700K) and GPU (VEGA64) show some performance gain.

In High Sierra my iTunes was always crashing and I couldn't find a way to fix it. This is also finally gone.
I had also random system crashes/reboots and it seems this is also fixed.

So for me, this OS upgrade is a savior!

The other new features are worthless compared to the improved performance and stability ...

Edit: I have crashes in FCPX - specially when using Stabilisation ... so it is not so perfect ...

Last edited:
I will continue to use HS 10.13.6 until Mojave 10.14.3 comes out with all the major bugs worked out of the system.

Still running 10.14 Public Beta 10 (18A389) - sys prefs Software Update links to 10.14.1 Public Beta 1

Is there a place to post what happens with the beta versions of 10.14.1, 10.14,2...? Does anybody care?

TIA

Updated directly from Sierra.

Switched to Intel Graphics 4600 via BIOS.

Got apfs.efi from BaseSystem.dmg (navigate to Contents > SharedSupport of the installer) at usr > standalone > i386. Copied it to/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

Clover did not detect the boot disk after installing Mojave, so I had to choose the correct disk through BIOS.

After that, I installed Lilu and AppleALC kexts and disabled all AppleHDA patches.

Everything works, including video and sound.

Still running 10.14 Public Beta 10 (18A389) - sys prefs Software Update links to 10.14.1 Public Beta 1

Is there a place to post what happens with the beta versions of 10.14.1, 10.14,2...? Does anybody care?

TIA
Post your insights in Mojave Desktop Support.

Back