Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Mojave

When I try and download Mojave, I get the error "You do not have enough space to install macOS Mojave". Weird thing is that I have almost 18GB free on my system drive. Thoughts?
The installer calculates the size of the disk image after it is expanded for install. It may be just over 6GB to download but you need quite a bit more than 18GB to install the OS.

mmm, yes but, no, definitively Maybe

Went smoothly for me. Well, maybe not as smooth as I was hoping :) The patches for ALC1150 weren't working, so I just installed Lilu and ALC kexts and removed those patches and everything works except for nvidia.

I have one question regarding nvidia ... I have 750TI one and am currently at "Default macOS Graphics Driver", but I have patched the web driver from HS. I'm afraid to switch to those from HS to be honest as these default ones are "good enough". I have glitches and it's pretty slow, but Chrome, Firefox and Safari are not having black screens as I see people post.

Are web drivers better than default at this point? I know there is no HW acc, but I was hoping for a bit smoother experience until nvidia releases new drivers :p

First attempt somehow didn't work. I got blank screen after reboot. The update messed up with Clover installed from MultiBeast 10.4.0? Not sure. Booted from a UniBeast USB flash drive, selected the older (the original partition, before update) drive, luckily it was still there. Downloaded and installed the most recent version of Clover (4647) (Standard Install). Still wouldn't boot. Booted again with the USB flash drive, custom installed Clover with AptioMemoryFix-64 checked. Reran "Install MacOS Mojave", it went through this time. It took about 1.5 hours to finish. No sound as usual with every update/upgrade. Ran MultiBeast 10.4.0 to install audio driver. Toleda ALC 887/888b didn't work with Mojave, selected AppleALC, instead. Everything went back to normal. Probably the partition of failed installation (Preboot partition?) is still there. Don't know how to remove it, but probably it won't hurt to leave it.

It went relatively smoothly for me, after solving a couple of issues:
1) My main disk was an SSD that was not running APFS.
2) As a result, I believe the download was not owned by root:wheel.
I booted into the Recovery partition, converted the filesystem to APFS, deleted the installer and downloaded it again. The second download had the correct ownership and behaved. I also tried upgrading a 10.13.6 on an HDD, before converting the SSD to APFS and it also failed, again due to the ownership being wrong. I may try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Went smoothly for me. Well, maybe not as smooth as I was hoping :) The patches for ALC1150 weren't working, so I just installed Lilu and ALC kexts and removed those patches and everything works except for nvidia.

I have one question regarding nvidia ... I have 750TI one and am currently at "Default macOS Graphics Driver", but I have patched the web driver from HS. I'm afraid to switch to those from HS to be honest as these default ones are "good enough". I have glitches and it's pretty slow, but Chrome, Firefox and Safari are not having black screens as I see people post.

Are web drivers better than default at this point? I know there is no HW acc, but I was hoping for a bit smoother experience until nvidia releases new drivers :p

750 Ti should work on native drivers. You would probably be better off uninstalling web drivers and using Clover inject Nvidia.

Default drivers are probably just display drivers. Check IORegistry Explorer to see if it says Display and no Nvidia drivers loaded. This would explain your description of choppynesss.

Hi, I updated but got stuck on a black screen when pressing "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh" any fixes? I have an inlet i7-4790K with Nvidia GTX 770. I ran macOS Sierra before updating.

I'll try it right away. Thanks :D

750ti should work on native drivers. You would probably be better off uninstalling web drivers and using clover inject Nvidia.

Default drivers are probably just display drivers. Check IORegistry Explorer to see if it says Display and no Nvidia drivers loaded. This would explain your description of choppynesss.

Yup, it seems to work. Though it has glitches here and there, but much better. And my HDMI monitor is not working :) I just need to figure out the way to enable it, if it's even possible.

Or maybe I'll switch to Intel one on my motherboard for now ;)

Anyway, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I updated but got stuck on a black screen when pressing "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh" any fixes? I have an inlet i7-4790K with Nvidia GTX 770. I ran macOS Sierra before updating.
On real Mac's, Apple has said you need to be using High Sierra 10.13.6 to update to Mojave.

Back