Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i've been trying to update from a stable Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra 10.13.5 all day, but no matter what I do, when I get to the Clover boot screen and choose 'Boot macOS Install option' it then just sits with the black screen and white Apple logo. I've tried twice, leaving it for up to 3 hours, but nothing happens... Any ideas??

EDIT: I've uploaded my installer log to see if that helps identify any problems.

Thanks.
If you don't have FakeSMC.kext in your EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER folder, try putting it in there and run the update again. Worked for me. I experienced exactly the same thing.

Good morning, I recently decided to update my Sierra install to High Sierra following this method. I am using an SSD drive but didn't want apfs so used the script. However during update after loading bar runs for a bit I get the dreaded macOS can't be installed on your computer. Simply says an error occurred while installing but no more details. Any ideas how to proceed?

Last edited:
Boot freezes after step 6 (Boot macOS Install). Any ideas?
20180711_214949.jpg

for any other laggards out there, I JUST updated from Sierra last night, and needed to update from Clover v 4053.

Updating to Clover v 4586 will give you a black screen upon reboot, so be sure to prep with this thread!

thanks for all your hard work, admins!

Just updated my six year old Sierra B75M-D3P to High Sierra directly through the App store. Like to be about a year behind the “cutting edge”. Installed Rehabman’s latest Clover & kexts before starting the procedure (kept HFS+ format):

Clover
FakeSMC
USBInjectAll
FakePCIID
FakePCIID_XHCIMux

FakeSMC and Network kexts are in clover/kexts/other and Library/Extensions.
USBInjectAll, FakePCIID & FakePCIID_XHCIMux are in Library/Extensions.

Upon final restart, installed latest Nvidia drivers with no issues. All appears well - don’t do messages, facetime or iTunes movies.

Last edited:
Well I just followed instructions to a T upgrading from El Capitan. Get the clover screen, but black screen after that on all 3 OSX options (Install, regular, recovery). No apple logo or anything.

For the standard/old boot:
I see it injected FakeSMC.kext. I'm not seeing the apfs.efi anywhere.
Looks like it's pausing on:

Patching kernel for injected kexts...
==> kernel El Capitan: 2 replaces done.
Pausing 5 secs ...

For the Install Boot:
It doesn't get far at all. Stops at

Start FinalizeBootStruct
Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Finally got it. Here's what I did to fix using my working laptop:
  • Initiated a HighSierra installation and selected my SSD as the target.
  • Wait for reboot. Wouldn't complete boot on working MacBook Pro.
  • Restarted, mounted drive and EFI.
  • Re-installed the latest clover
    • This helped get a new error. This would make the boot time out at BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown
  • Mounted EFI, edited config.plist
    • Enabled FixRTC. This didn't fix it, kept hanging up at the same spot.
    • Drop MATS tables
Tadaa. Works almost like a champ now. Just missing my audio drivers, but that should be an easy fix on a working machine.

Last edited:
Updated directly from 10.12.6 to 10.13.4 on my Gigabyte Z77X with GTX1050.
I discovered that I had to add FixHeaders=true to config.plist. Without this fix, I got stuck at apple logo.
You save my life!!! thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back