Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Update Clover: Installation FAILED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to restart without the extra drives, but every time I try, I get the login error...

I'd like to restart without the extra drives, but every time I try, I get the login error...

If you can boot using your USB installer, when you get to the Clover menu look at the bottom-right of the screen. You will see which version of Clover the installer is using. No need to use Clover Configurator for this job.

Now, the easiest way to update Clover on your main SSD is to run the Clover installer package you downloaded. When you get to the "Desitnation' selection screen just make sure you open the options to select the correct drive.

Here, I've run the 5109 Clover installer and selected the "Destination" button:

Clover.png

... as you can see, I too have a couple of other drives connected, but by using the "Destination" button I can double-check I'm installing to the correct drive.

:)

I inserted my USB installer and selected it as a boot option from the bios.
In the lower righthand corner, it says, "5102, Booted from EFI"
When I open "Clover.app_v1.16_r5109.pkg", it looks slightly different from your screenshot. There's no "Read Me" (see attached).
"Destination Select" is automatically skipped and I'm unable to navigate to it. The "standard install" is on my m2 ssd, as it should be.

I tried another experiment. I created a new user account with admin privileges, then shut down and unplugged my HDDs.
I restarted with ONLY my SSD and attempted to login with my user account. "You are unable to log in to the user account xx at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."
I attempted to login with the test admin account. Success.
Once logged in, I opened Clover Configurator and attempted an update to 5116. Fail.
I attempted an update to 5109. Not found.
I downloaded the 5109 package and ran it. "Success".
I opened Clover Configurator and checked my bootloader version: 5102

I have a gut feeling that my problems stem from Apple's permissions system somehow, but that's just an uninformed guess. I've tried running Onyx a couple times, but I don't even know what it does, just that it used to magically clear up problems in the past...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.00.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.00.34 PM.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I inserted my USB installer and selected it as a boot option from the bios.
In the lower righthand corner, it says, "5102, Booted from EFI"
When I open "Clover.app_v1.16_r5109.pkg", it looks slightly different from your screenshot. There's no "Read Me" (see attached).
"Destination Select" is automatically skipped and I'm unable to navigate to it. The "standard install" is on my m2 ssd, as it should be.

I tried another experiment. I created a new user account with admin privileges, then shut down and unplugged my HDDs.
I restarted with ONLY my SSD and attempted to login with my user account. "You are unable to log in to the user account xx at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."
I attempted to login with the test admin account. Success.
Once logged in, I opened Clover Configurator and attempted an update to 5116. Fail.
I attempted an update to 5109. Not found.
I downloaded the 5109 package and ran it. "Success".
I opened Clover Configurator and checked my bootloader version: 5102

I have a gut feeling that my problems stem from Apple's permissions system somehow, but that's just an uninformed guess. I've tried running Onyx a couple times, but I don't even know what it does, just that it used to magically clear up problems in the past...

Sorry this didn't work.

I admit I can't see from here, what the problem is.

Apple's permissions shouldn't affect Clover being put in the EFI partition, because macOS doesn't know about it. That's the lovely thing about Clover and injecting stuff from there.

I have no idea why your Clover 5109 installer is different from mine. o_O But, as always I'm happy to learn.:thumbup:

The only other Clover builds I would recommend using are those by @MacMan over in our Downloads section, and that's so far only up to r5102.

Sorry this didn't work.

I admit I can't see from here, what the problem is.

Apple's permissions shouldn't affect Clover being put in the EFI partition, because macOS doesn't know about it. That's the lovely thing about Clover and injecting stuff from there.

I have no idea why your Clover 5109 installer is different from mine. o_O But, as always I'm happy to learn.:thumbup:

The only other Clover builds I would recommend using are those by @MacMan over in our Downloads section, and that's so far only up to r5102.

MultiBeast 12.1.0 has Clover r5107

Things are much worse. Now I can't boot.

I Restarted with only my ssd
I logged in to my admin test account
I opened Clover Configurator one more time, updated it, and tried 5117. FAIL. Mounted EFI and copied a backup.
I downloaded and installed Multibeast 12.1.0 for Catalina
Opening Multibeast, I selected Quickstart UEFI Boot Mode.
I saw that it was trying to change my system definition from iMac 19,1 to (14,2 I think?) I unchecked this option
Making no other changes, I ran Multibeast. It said the installation was successful.
I ran Clover Configurator. It still said 5102.
I attempted to reboot.
I go this error, post-bios:
"OCABC: Found legacy AptioMemoryFix driver! "
"Error: Already started returned from OcQuirks.efi" (sic)
SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT

While I thank you for your attention, MacMan, I regret that I cannot "Like" the above advice.

Last edited:
Things are much worse. Now I can't boot.

I shut down.
I Restarted with only my ssd
I logged in with my admin test account
I opened Clover Configurator one more time updated it, and tried 5117. FAIL. Mounted EFI and copied a backup.
I downloaded and installed Multibeast 12.1.0 for Catalina
Opening Multibeast, I selected Quickstart UEFI Boot Mode.
I saw that it was trying to change my system definition from iMac 19,1 to (14,2 I think?) I unchecked this option
Making no other changes, I ran Multibeast. It said the installation was successful.
I ran Clover Configurator. It still said 5102.
I attempted to reboot.
I go this error, pre-bios:
"OCABC: Found legacy AptioMemoryFix driver! "
"Error: Already started returned from OcQuirks.efi" (sic)
SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT

While I thank you for your attention, MacMan, I regret that I cannot "Like" the above advice.

Hmmm. Do I see OpenCore references in there?

Okay, here's what I would do. You may not wish to do this but we need to eliminate any possible conflicts.

Just have connected your main SSD. Temporarily disconnect any other drives by pulling their SATA cables or removing them from m.2 sockets, or disable in BIOS, while the power is OFF.

Use your UniBeast installer USB drive to boot the system to the Clover menu.

If you have modified the UniBeast installer at any point it is no longer "virgin" and may be compromised. So create a new one - if you can. If that's not an option then still try booting with UniBeast. Once at the Clover menu try selecting your SSD. If this still freezes or crashes we move on ... Let me know.

I was able to restore.

I don't have OpenCore. For the upgrade to Catalina, I didn't use any of the Beasts, but followed CaseySJ's Mini-guide over in the golden builds section (which I also used to determine my hardware). I think it's sort of Vanilla-ish?

I had already disconnected everything but my main ssd, and I don't have unibeast, so wasn't sure what to make of your instructions.

Fortunately, the bootable back-up on my hdd worked. I re-connnected and selected it in the bios, logged back into my test admin account, and restored the copy of the EFI folder I made before running Multi-Beast.

Now, it seems, I'm back to square one.

Do you think I should go bug CaseySJ? He's great, but I thought he has enough on his plate and I didn't realize my problem was so difficult.

Last edited:
I was able to restore.

I don't have OpenCore. For the upgrade to Catalina, I didn't use any of the Beasts, but followed CaseySJ's Mini-guide over in the golden builds section (which I also used to determine my hardware). I think it's sort of Vanilla-ish?

I had already disconnected everything but my main ssd, and I don't have unibeast, so wasn't sure what to make of your instructions.

Fortunately, the bootable back-up on my hdd worked. I re-connnected and selected it in the bios, logged back into my test admin account, and restored the copy of the EFI folder I made before running Multi-Beast.

Now, it seems, I'm back to square one.

Do you think I should go bug CaseySJ? He's great, but I thought he has enough on his plate and I didn't realize my problem was so difficult.

Hey no, if you follow @CaseySJ 's guide you'll be doing the right thing given your Designare motherboard. His is certainly the best resource there is. :thumbup:

As you check the bullet-points in the mini-guide you'll see what I did - that he uses OcQuirks.efi - which if you hadn't guessed yet is OpenCore. For earlier versions of Clover like 5102 I would use AptioMemoryFix.efi instead, but go with what Team A says :thumbup:

Just as a final pointer - copying a previous EFI folder is fine but not where I was going with this. I was going to take you through building a new, working EFI folder instead, to erradicate any possibility of confusion.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

YAY! Believe it or not, you solved my problem.
I looked up "OcQuirks.efi" and found this guide by CaseySJwith updated software. I made a backup, then installed it.
After that, I was able to update the bootloader to 5117 with Clover Configurator!
After a restart, now CC shows my bootloader on 5117.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.58.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.58.14 PM.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back