Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I have a hackentosh running High Sierra. I replaced my 1080 ti with a 5700 xt and am attempting to do a clean install of Catalina.

I'm following these instructions -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/

I'm stuck at STEP 4: Install macOS Catalina. Catalina install never loads. I see the Apple logo and then the machine restarts.

Some people have been helping me at this post -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-sur-install-guide.310663/page-2#post-2231044

The original post was about an install guide for Big Sur and then it turned into helping me install Catalina. I'm posting here in "Catalina Desktop Support" because it's the appropriate group.

Hi,

I have a hackentosh running High Sierra. I replaced my 1080 ti with a 5700 xt and am attempting to do a clean install of Catalina.

I'm following these instructions -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/

I'm stuck at STEP 4: Install macOS Catalina. Catalina install never loads. I see the Apple logo and then the machine restarts.

Some people have been helping me at this post -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-sur-install-guide.310663/page-2#post-2231044

The original post was about an install guide for Big Sur and then it turned into helping me install Catalina. I'm posting here in "Catalina Desktop Support" because it's the appropriate group.

Hi there.

I've read the other thread ...

Assuming you are using Clover as a boot-loader, boot in 'verbose' boot mode. This gives you a scrolling screen of text as the system builds itself and will stop when it encounters a problem. When it does capture the screen and upload a screengrab here so we can see what's happening.

To enter verbose more press the SpaceBar at the Clover icon menu and select it from the drop-down menu or use the "-v" boot command.

:)

Hi, I did as you described. Yes I used UniBeast to create the installer and I'm using Clover.

Attachments

• PXL_20210226_021424855.jpg
    PXL_20210226_021424855.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 44
Hi, I did as you described. Yes I used UniBeast to create the installer and I'm using Clover.

Talking about Step 4, have you tried Safe Mode ? It's another option in the SpaceBar menu that might get you further.

To be honest, your motherboard should boot a UniBeast USB drive without any problems. The 5700XT you have is catered for by the agdpmod command. You do not need the nv_disable=1 command if you haven't even installed your macOs yet, because you are not using a NVidia GPU and haven't installed any drivers by that point.

Recheck your BIOS for the recommended settings (such as ensuring the Serial Port is disabled). From the Catalina installer menu use Disk Utility to First Aid / Check your destination drive. Ensure it is in the correct format etc.

I have tried safe mode, it had the same result. I do have a macOS installed. The destination disk currently has High Sierra, and it has drivers for a NVidia GPU. I confirmed the BIOS settings. Also, I've been using this Hackintosh since late 2016. I can't use the Catalina installer because it never loads.

Starting up in safemode only shows the Apple logo for a second before the computer restarts.

I have tried safe mode, it had the same result. I do have a macOS installed. The destination disk currently has High Sierra, and it has drivers for a NVidia GPU. I confirmed the BIOS settings. Also, I've been using this Hackintosh since late 2016. I can't use the Catalina installer because it never loads.

Starting up in safemode only shows the Apple logo for a second before the computer restarts.

A computer restart is usually something serious in the configuration that is awry.

That we do not know what this is makes it a bit difficult to see remotely, sorry. It can be a hardware mis-match, it can be a badly formatted destination drive...

I your machine is currently able to boot High Sierra, is it installed in HFS+ mode or APFS? Catalina would convert the former if it found it because you no-longer have the choice of file-systems.

I would recommend booting High Sierra and uninstalling the NVidia drivers so that the destination is clean of them. You can do this from the System Preferences pane.

Although clearly I'm not helping with your problem, perhaps upload your EFI folder for others to inspect. Perhaps they can see the stumbling-block Catalina faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back