Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I used Unibeast installer with MultiBeast and it immediately says "The installation failed"

I assume it is SIP blocking me, but I can't seem to disable SIP in Unibeast as it keeps blocking me.

It says I need to be in Recovery Mode, but I can't get there as I don't have a fully self-bootable system yet.

Any tips to fix this without a Mac? I no longer have access to one at the moment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I used Unibeast installer with MultiBeast and it immediately says "The installation failed"

I assume it is SIP blocking me, but I can't seem to disable SIP in Unibeast as it keeps blocking me.

It says I need to be in Recovery Mode, but I can't get there as I don't have a fully self-bootable system yet.

Any tips to fix this without a Mac? I no longer have access to one at the moment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi there.

From Catalina going forward the SIP setting is accessed from the Recovery partition by using Terminal (or a menu setting in Big Sur).

Unless someone knows another, easier, way Perhaps install an earlier macOS first to give you the option and get you started.

Or on Clover screen, select Options -> System Parameters -> System Integrity Protection -> check everything and return

Not sure if this works.

Hi there.

From Catalina going forward the SIP setting is accessed from the Recovery partition by using Terminal (or a menu setting in Big Sur).

Unless someone knows another, easier, way Perhaps install an earlier macOS first to give you the option and get you started.

That's what I figured. Sadly I don't own a Mac. I tried OpenCore from Linux, but I run into the same issue I had before replacing my EFI with the EFI-3 folder of it stuck just after NVMe. It has a Clover install though, so I'm not sure what was holding it up.

I'll give it a shot with Mojave and opencore. I think it may support my Z390-F? Not sure if older ones will though. Or does Mojave suffer the same or similar SIP problems?

I had an idea, is it possible to create a another unibeast install disk, within the unibeast environment?

I think I can download Mojave with gibMacOS? Then just move it to Unibeast?

Maybe I can just move it to this installer and overwrite Catalina? I'm just not sure if the config files would be compatible.

I'd appreciate any more clues or hints.

Thanks -=Mark=-

Hi there.

Can I access the terminal from the Unibeast installer environment to disable SIP? Or do I install Catalina then run terminal? Or do I need to do this from a full working Mac?

Can I access the terminal from the Unibeast installer environment to disable SIP? Or do I install Catalina then run terminal? Or do I need to do this from a full working Mac?

Firstly, I'm not sure how you can create a UniBeast installer without a Mac. There isn't just the single installer package on the USB stick. There are hidden files etc., so just copying the Mojave file onto it will probably not work.

As for Terminal. Start the UniBeast installer but before you select the destination drive go to the menu bar and Tools. You will find Terminal in there. However I have not tested diabling SIP this way, only via Recovery, so I am not 100% sure it will work.

Bear in mind gibmacOS is not an upgrade tool but just a way to download the official Apple installer for unsupported machines.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'm not sure how you can create a UniBeast installer without a Mac. There isn't just the single installer package on the USB stick. There are hidden files etc., so just copying the Mojave file onto it will probably not work.

As for Terminal. Start the UniBeast installer but before you select the destination drive go to the menu bar and Tools. You will find Terminal in there. However I have not tested diabling SIP this way, only via Recovery, so I am not 100% sure it will work.

Bear in mind gibmacOS is not an upgrade tool but just a way to download the official Apple installer for unsupported machines.

I was hoping the Unibeast Mac environment would let me. I am blocked out of EFI.

I will try the Terminal as soon as Unibeast starts, but I'm sure it fails as it does with unibeast, otherwise, what's the point of SIP?

I tried and failed with downloading Unibeast for Mojave and gibMacOS for Mojave. It still locks me out of EFI on the USB. I thought maybe the USB wouldn't lock, only the boot drive. I was wrong. I was probably doing it wrong as well.

FYI, what terminal command would disable sip? I'm not very good with terminal.

I have been trying opencore, as well. It too epically fails on 5 different tries. I found out my kexts weren't going into the config.plist. After manually adding them, I still error out at the same spot. I wish there was an opencore site for troubleshooting.

FYI, what terminal command would disable sip? I'm not very good with terminal.

The Terminal command is : csrutil disable

For the latest OS versions there is a Security option, similar to the entry I mentioned for Terminal, in the Recovery section menu. Yes you can disable SIP. I think the real reason it's there is to help developers test things like kexts.

Maybe to clear the decks it's time to review your issues as I understand them. Let me list some points:

1) Your hardware, as listed in your profile, is fine for a Hackintosh build.

2) Catalina and Mojave will both run on it. There are many similar builds in the Forums.

3) To perform a fresh installation you either need a UniBeast installer, or an official Apple installer, built with the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command, using the appropriate macOS download. Both of these require a real Mac or Hackintosh to make.

4) To upgrade from an earlier version of macOS to Catalina does not require a USB boot stick.

5) Only a Catalina install needs the SIP Terminal command.

6) Installations without UniBeast are also covered in the Laptop or Desktop Beta guides.

7) The EFI partition exists in all GUID/GPT disk schema but is usually mostly empty as far as macOS is concerned. We use this hidden area to install a bootloader which then injects the necessary fakery into macOS so that when it starts it believes it's on a real Mac. macOS has no direct access to this bootloader area and knows nothing of it.

:)

Last edited:
The Terminal command is : csrutil disable

For the latest OS versions there is a Security option, similar to the entry I mentioned for Terminal, in the Recovery section menu. Yes you can disable SIP. I think the real reason it's there is to help developers test things like kexts.

Maybe to clear the decks it's time to review your issues as I understand them. Let me list some points:

1) Your hardware, as listed in your profile, is fine for a Hackintosh build.

2) Catalina and Mojave will both run on it. There are many similar builds in the Forums.

3) To perform a fresh installation you either need a UniBeast installer, or an official Apple installer, built with the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command, using the appropriate macOS download. Both of these require a real Mac or Hackintosh to make.

4) To upgrade from an earlier version of macOS to Catalina does not require a USB boot stick.

5) Only a Catalina install needs the SIP Terminal command.

6) Installations without UniBeast are also covered in the Laptop or Desktop Beta guides.

7) The EFI partition exists in all GUID/GPT disk schema but is usually mostly empty as far as macOS is concerned. We use this hidden area to install a bootloader which then injects the necessary fakery into macOS so that when it starts it believes it's on a real Mac. macOS has no direct access to this bootloader area and knows nothing of it.

:)

Okay, this helps a lot.

I have access to a iMac (Late 2015) with Big Sur installed.

Does it use SIP? If not, does it use another method I need to know about? Can you post or link how to disable it?

I might be able to do it today, is why I ask. I would like to use Unibeast for Mojave. Since it has no protections to disable.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back