Contribute
Register

Uncut G4 Cube Mod ( ongoing project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

While I wait for some pending parts I've successfully updated the Cube to ML 10.8.4 and worked on the IR Receiver ,the Ethernet Port and wifi & BT .

Wifi & Bluetooth

I had lots of troubles with this card DELL DW1702 ATHEROS AR5B195 HALF-MINI WIRELESS N + BT BLUETOOTH COMBO MINI-CARD,multi finger gestures weren't recognized and reception wasn't optimal so It's stored for now. (I'll use ethernet for networking ,see below)

I have working Bluetooth now thanks to the
IOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter from the recommended part list.It works flawlessly with the Magic trackpad! The BT adapter is in one of the external USB ports. It's tiny!

59797-iogear-bt-dongle-empty-modem-port.JPG

(The modem port is still waiting to be repurposed)

Ethernet Port

I'm using an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter for network connectivity .Speed it's limited to 100 Mbps but it's more than enough for my Internet connection and I'm not planning to transfer large files from this machine.

The
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter in its new home.

59791-apple-usb-ethernet-adapter.JPG

The Apple dongle it's connected to the internal USB Hub and to a short Ethernet extension that goes to the original Ethernet Port.

59792-ethernet-extension.JPG

59794-fast-ethernet-port-1.JPG

IR

I followed this guide for the IR Receiver http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=8913. This hack is pretty straightforward .

The MBP 922-7195 infrared board

59796-apple-receiver.jpg

I used a USB male to USB header cable so I can either plug the receiver internally or externally. If I finally decide to leave the receiver outside the Cube I'll need some kind of plastic case for the board.

59788-ir-team.jpg

I also bought a 3.5 Stereo Audio splitter to connect the Apple Pro Speakers and to have an available line out for headphones.

59793-stereo-audio-out-splitter.jpg

The connectors fit almost perfectly in the existing holes.I'll need to sand them a little bit

59790-audio-out-fit-test.JPG

The Apple Pro Speakers & the iFire adapter waiting for the USB Audio card :yawn:

59789-external-sound-team.JPG

to be continued

UPDATE: the wait is over ! :p

efaae6287024f524b2be65b7265fab25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is REALLY looking great!

Ersterhernd

@MacTester
I don't have volume control over the Sabre USB DAC Audio card.Volume slider,KB hot keys and remote doesn't affect volume at all
Is there anything I'm missing?

@MacTester
I don't have volume control over the Sabre USB DAC Audio card.Volume slider,KB hot keys and remote doesn't affect volume at all
Is there anything I'm missing?

Hmm, Hifimediy says: "Volume level controlled by volume hot keys in Mac OSX only, does not work in Windows"

I have no idea... I only can say, that the "big brother" does have driver (or firmware) issues too...

There are many other USB sound adapters on the market and they cost almost nothing: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...R9.TRC1.A0.Xusb+sound&_nkw=usb+sound&_sacat=0

MacTester

Hmm, Hifimediy says: "Volume level controlled by volume hot keys in Mac OSX only, does not work in Windows"

I have no idea... I only can say, that the "big brother" does have driver (or firmware) issues too...

There are many other USB sound adapters on the market and they cost almost nothing: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...R9.TRC1.A0.Xusb+sound&_nkw=usb+sound&_sacat=0

MacTester

I think I'll send it back and ask for a refund.Anyway I finally managed to power the Griffin iFire Adapter so the audio set up is now ready (regardless of the USB Audio card)

I made a short clip showing all the components:

[video=youtube_share;fKTAVYHPd_I]http://youtu.be/fKTAVYHPd_I[/video]

TBC

EDIT: Aside from the obvious parts (the Apple Pro Speakers, the USB Audio Out Adapter and the iFire Adapter) the video shows a stripped Firewire 400 cable with one female end connected to the iFire ( via FW 400 male to male cable) and the other end connected to a 12V / Ground molex.

Sorry for the lack of updates but I don't have a lot of spare time lately :cry:

Enhancements

I received the relay board from the laser hive so now I can power on/off the pico psu and the NUC simultaneously. Due to this new board I had to relocate the pico psu using some of the optical drive space. By the way I finally decided not to use an optical drive, although the vertical slot loading drive was one of the coolest features of the Cube nowadays I'm not using physical media so often.

I also relocated the internal USB Hub freeing the HDD caddy so I can use it for a 2.5 " SSD/ HDD
(USB connected)

Lastly I tried to do my best with the cable management.

Pending items

-I'm still looking for the smallest internal audio solution ( I sent the Sabre USB DAC back)

-I can' t use the USB Ethernet adapter as my main networking device because iCloud/ Mac App Store won't work so I'll have to order a new wifi card (Dell DW1510) unless anyone knows how to deactivate Bluetooth from my combo card.I' ll try to use the NUC wifi antennas inside the Cube.

I also contacted Intel and they're going to send me a new mobo with the internal USB connectors. I still don't get why some mobos didn't have the USB header and the internal power plug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 496
unless anyone knows how to deactivate Bluetooth from my combo card.I' ll try to use the NUC wifi antennas inside the Cube.

On combined cards I believe the bluetooth is from the USB pins on the mini-pcie connector so you could try to cut a small piece of masking tape with a craft knife and use it to cover up the D+ and D- tracks (tracks 36 and 38) on the card so they do not electrically connect when the card is in the slot. This would then still leave the card undamaged but may let you retain it to use for the wifi.

EDIT: I did a search to find a pic of this - so check this link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...working-lion-10-7-3-extreme-5.html#post297882

On the other hand, the replacement cards are relatively cheap - but as you know small costs added together can quickly become large costs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back