Contribute
Register

Unable to boot in safe mode, normal boot is fine (Fusion Drive problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
GeForce GTX 650
This is a strange set of circumstances, so first, some background:
  • I have a working installation of Yosemite on a Fusion Drive (a 120 GB SSD and 1TB HDD), and a Windows installation (separate 1TB HDD). My bootloader is Chameleon v2.2, I think
I had a problem with OS X (unrelated to hackintosh, google revealed tons of real macs with it too): trying to do things like partition a disk gave me an error message "Securityagent can only be invoked by apple software". Apparently I need to manually delete some subfolders in /var/folders to clear the cache, but to do so I need to boot in safe mode.

Tried rebooting the computer. It starts up like normal (bootloader is good, can select the drive, etc), but when I reach what would be the login screen, the system hangs on a grey/white screen. The mouse is there and I can move it around but that's all.

People who had the same issue as me (on real Macs) were told to boot in safe mode. When I try to boot with the -x flag, I get the "Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/Kernel" message.
(booting with the -v flag reveals no issues; it doesn't hang on startup at all. Once the OS attempts to load and do stuff (like log me in) the system stalls)

Now I'm in a strange limbo - I can boot, but I can't log in and do anything. I could fix the problem if I could boot in safe mode, but I can't because in Safe Mode, the computer doesn't recognize my Fusion Drive and therefore can't find the kernel. (My Windows install is totally fine, BTW)

I tried booting into a Snow Leopard Install DVD that I have, but because it's essentially the same thing as safe mode, the PC can't read or even mount the volumes the comprise my Fusion Drive.

I'm kind of at a loss here - I need a way to boot in Safe Mode or using the Install DVD that keeps my Fusion Drive readable. I made a total time Machine backup recently if I need to do a complete wipe, but I REALLY don't want to have to; the semester just started here and I don't want to commit an entire day to rebuilding my Hack

This is a strange set of circumstances, so first, some background:
  • I have a working installation of Yosemite on a Fusion Drive (a 120 GB SSD and 1TB HDD), and a Windows installation (separate 1TB HDD). My bootloader is Chameleon v2.2, I think
I had a problem with OS X (unrelated to hackintosh, google revealed tons of real macs with it too): trying to do things like partition a disk gave me an error message "Securityagent can only be invoked by apple software". Apparently I need to manually delete some subfolders in /var/folders to clear the cache, but to do so I need to boot in safe mode.

Tried rebooting the computer. It starts up like normal (bootloader is good, can select the drive, etc), but when I reach what would be the login screen, the system hangs on a grey/white screen. The mouse is there and I can move it around but that's all.

People who had the same issue as me (on real Macs) were told to boot in safe mode. When I try to boot with the -x flag, I get the "Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/Kernel" message.
(booting with the -v flag reveals no issues; it doesn't hang on startup at all. Once the OS attempts to load and do stuff (like log me in) the system stalls)

Now I'm in a strange limbo - I can boot, but I can't log in and do anything. I could fix the problem if I could boot in safe mode, but I can't because in Safe Mode, the computer doesn't recognize my Fusion Drive and therefore can't find the kernel. (My Windows install is totally fine, BTW)

I tried booting into a Snow Leopard Install DVD that I have, but because it's essentially the same thing as safe mode, the PC can't read or even mount the volumes the comprise my Fusion Drive.

I'm kind of at a loss here - I need a way to boot in Safe Mode or using the Install DVD that keeps my Fusion Drive readable. I made a total time Machine backup recently if I need to do a complete wipe, but I REALLY don't want to have to; the semester just started here and I don't want to commit an entire day to rebuilding my Hack

I'm not sure if this will help BUT I would create/use a new UniBeast 6 install stick with Clover as it's boot loader. Obviously you need to have access to a copy of the Install Yosemite file. (Unibeast 6 is the right version and comes with Clover)

With this you can boot into it as though you were going to install, but not, (or, I suppose, use it to boot and start your own Yosemite system). You can also use the -x flag if you need to.

Once in you should be able to delete what you need to, though using Terminal commands, if the drive you need has mounted. Sometimes drives will not mount under Safe Mode but this usually applies to uncommon or non-Apple file systems.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back