Contribute
Register

Two bugs I can't resolve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've followed properly the tutorial. All unused USB ports were removed from Hackintool tool. I deleted USBInjectAll.kext from System/Library and added USBPorts.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. That's all. By the way, there was one USB seen as "Express Card" instead of Internal/USB2/USB3. Very odd. Now, I only have these ports remaining. However, the USB3 ports are still working despite they're not listed here (they are related to the ASMedia controller, not the Intel though). I don't know why. Please note I use my monitor as an USB hub which dispatchs keyboards and mouse connections.

Capture d’écran 2020-02-29 à 01.09.02.png

And I still have that panic error at startup beginning by:

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801942b066): "USB2.0 Hub[0x1000003e2]::terminate(kIOServiceSynchronous) timeout\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4903.271.2/iokit/Kernel/IOService.cpp:2428

Last edited:
I found someone who has the exact same bug

It seems GenericUSBXHCI.kext may be guilty. So I removed it from L/E and from the EFI partition. But it didn't change anything.

P1LGRIM suggested to remove nvram.plist on the EFI partition but it doesn't exist on my system.

I found someone who has the exact same bug

It seems GenericUSBXHCI.kext may be guilty. So I removed it from L/E and from the EFI partition. But it didn't change anything.

P1LGRIM suggested to remove nvram.plist on the EFI partition but it doesn't exist on my system.

Hi there,

The bug link you quote is for a different motherboard and different macOS version, so not likely to be the same root cause of your problem.

GenericUSBXHCI was designed to work with third-party USB controllers like your ASMedia one. However it hasn't been updated for 5-years and no longer works reliably with Mojave. It is unlikely to be the cause of your problems but you might as well remove it :thumbup:

I think you have removed too many ports from the rest of your configuration. Your motherboard does not have an XHCI controller and needs that ASMedia one for USB3 functionality. The ports will likely work but not be configurable. However for USB2 ports you need the EHCI controller. There should be (something like) 8x ports on EH01 and 6x ports on EH02.

Also check if you have installed any other third-party USB kexts. Only USBInjectAll.kext is. Remove any others.

:)

Thank you UtterDisbelief.

When I removed GenericUSBXHCI.kext, my USB3 ASMedia port kept working. I tested the transfer speed, it was running in USB 3.0 (not 2.0). How come? Was it still enabled from cache or something?

EHCI hand-off is enabled in the BIOS. Should I change this?

Also check if you have installed any other third-party USB kexts. Only USBInjectAll.kext is. Remove any others.

At the moment, I think I only have GenericUSBXHCI.kext and USBPorts.kext (this one generated by Hackintool).

Some improvements:

I've succeeded to remove completely GenericUSBXHCI.kext (after rebuilding kext cache). I also removed USBPorts.kext generated by Hackintool. Here is the new port list:

Capture.jpg

The message "Your computer restarted because of a problem" at clover keeps being displayed but it has almost disappeared from OS X startup. I mean "almost" because it appears again when I run OS X after a restart. The shut down works now. And the message disappear if I boot after shut down. Well i don't mind so I'll just avoid to restart OS X.

I installed USBInjectAll.kext using Multibeast. I also added it to clover / kexts / other inside the EFI partition.

Anyway, now the problem is almost gone BUT I've lost my USB3 ports (Asmedia)! So how to enable them again?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Remove any USB hubs and USB devices that are not needed for use. As your system is now post IOREG from gen_debug,
put genericusbxhci.kext back into kexts folder and reboot press f2 & f4 for new geb_debug output.
Post both ioreg with genericusb and without.
I'm sure all the messages you keep recieving are USB related, just need to hunt down the solution.
If you want working USB3/3.1, you may need to buy a PCI card, there are some that work OOB on hardware page. On my old Z68 board I could not use USB3 and had to disable it in the BIOS. You could try that.

Thank you UtterDisbelief.

My USB3 ASMedia port kept working. I tested the transfer speed, it was running in USB 3.0 (not 2.0). How come? Was it still enabled from cache or something?

Because there is a native driver for the USB3 ASMedia and it is not on the same controller as the rest of the USB ports. What ever ports are connected to the ASMedia are normally outside the 15 port limit.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I don't have any free PCI slots.

I put back genericusbxhci.kext and the USB3 support is back now. I'll give up and keep going with these three boring error messages at startup. I just hope the files I'll copy from/to the ASmedia controller won't be corrupted.

Do what is said in post #16 and post back ioreg. it should enable us to see what controller your USB3 is on and possibly patch it to make it work. I think you will need to patch your USB to bring under 15 port limit.

Thanks man. In the meantime, I've found an interesting solution here (same configuration : X79 chipset / ASMedia controller)

I don't have the startup messages error anymore only when I don't use the USB3 ports in my previous OS X session. And in this case, the shutdown works fine. I'm pretty satisfied with this even if it's not perfect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back