Contribute
Register

Trying to disable Pascal GPU through DSDT/SSDT patches - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

So I've completed my Hackintosh build and generally everything is working well. My specs are are follows:

GA-H170n-wifi motherboard
Skylake i5-6660 CPU
Intel HD 530 integrated graphics
GTX 1060 in the PCIe slot

I set up El Capitan 10.11.4 using this excellent guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

And have since upgrade to 10.11.6 from the app store without any problems.

Since there are currently no Pascal drivers for OSX, I run OSX off the integrated HD530 which works great and boot into Windows with the GTX 1060 for gaming.

There is one slight issue - when I boot into OSX from the HD530 the fans on the GTX 1060 still fire up even though I'm not using it and are ruining my otherwise silent build.

So I would like to be able to disable the GTX 1060 or the PCIe slot on booting into OSX so it doesn't power up. My BIOS does not have this option, so I believe that I need to power it off through DSDT/SSDT patches. I have read this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

I have successfully extracted the ACPI files using F4 on clover during boot and have disassembled them. However I am struggling to work out which of the files I need to patch and how. The guide I'm following is for quite a different build to mine.

I've attached my DSDT and SSDT files, in aml and dsl form.

If anyone was able to take a look and work out what I need to be patching I would be really grateful!

Many thanks in advance
Bones

Attachments

• ACPItemp.zip
    139.3 KB · Views: 118
Im trying to do the same thing as you with the same motherboard. Did you find a solution yet?

Im trying to do the same thing as you with the same motherboard. Did you find a solution yet?

I gave up on getting the fans to power down through DSDT/SSDT hacks or anything else software driven.

In the end I went for a hardware mod, which is working great. Basically, I put a mini GPU fan cable extension between the GTX 1060 fan and the GPU itself:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/4%2dPin-Mini-GPU-Connector-Extension-Cable-(40cm).html

And then wired a small rocker switch into the 12v cable, which I have mounted at the front of my case.

This allows me to switch off the 1060 GPU fan when I'm in MacOS and then switch it on when I boot into Windows for gaming. It works great and I now have a totally silent system again.

did the 1060 fans rev at max RPM when it was plugged in?

Do the fans spinn at max while your pc is booting? If so then you can disable that via a GPU Bios mod. But i don't know if there is a modding utility for the 10XX series...

Do the fans spinn at max while your pc is booting? If so then you can disable that via a GPU Bios mod. But i don't know if there is a modding utility for the 10XX series...

I looked into this. As far as I could work out, there is no modding utility available for Pascal cards yet, but this situation may change.

did the 1060 fans rev at max RPM when it was plugged in?

When I set the rocker switch to on and boot into Windows it behaves exactly as it did without the mod. I have a Zotac GTX 1060 AMP Edition card which (when drivers are installed) powers the fans down at low loads. So the fans only ever power up when gaming. Other 1060 cards may be different.

With the switch added to the 12v wire, it behaves in exactly the same way. The switch just means I can cut the power to the fans when I boot into MacOS. I'm comfortable that the gtx 1060 is not overheating when I'm in MacOS. Although I can't monitor temps from within MacOS, whenever I boot into windows straight after having been working in MacOS the gtx 1060 temp is at about 45 degrees, which is well within acceptable levels for a GPU.

It's a pretty improvised solution but it works great for me.

cool thx for the info. I think Im just going to leave the fans running when I buy my Pascal card. What is your config setup for your MacOS? Just nv_disable=1?

What is your config setup for your MacOS? Just nv_disable=1?

That's right. nv_disable=1 and select integrated graphics as the priority in your motherboard bios.

I then connect the hdmi port from the integrated graphics to one input on my monitor and the DisplayPort from the gtx 1060 to another input on the monitor. I can then select the appropriate input on the monitor depending on whether I'm booting into MacOS or windows.

When you want to boot to Windows and the Pascal card do you have to manually select to boot PCIE-1 in your BIOS before startup? If I leave the setting to iGFX, Windows will startup using the Intel HD 530 instead of the Geforce 1080. Is that the same for you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back