Contribute
Register

Troubleshooting iMessage Login Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed Chimera 2.0.1 and iMessage is working. I do have a "real" Macbook and iPad on same account so not sure if that makes any difference. I didn't need to change my account or my password.

Hey there,

I posted this question on the General thread, though lots of views no one seems to be able to give a response.

Everything on my build works well and I updated to 10.8.3 without any hitches, (I used the AppStore update method) and all I had to do was reinstall the Audio drivers with MultiBeast, (thanks to everyone on here posting their details).

However I have noticed, and this was prior to the 10.8.3 update that it is not possible to change the iMessage status to 'Available' or anything else. If you try to change it using the Messages>My Status all the options are greyed out. If you have selected under Messages>Preferences>General to 'Show Status in Menu Bar' it allows you to change it from the menu bar but it does not work.

Is anyone able to change their status or does everyone have this problem and been able to find a fix?

Thanks.

My build consists of the following:
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D - Black Aluminum
Motherboard - GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Processor - Intel i7-3770K
Memory - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Drives - 2 x 500GB Samsung SSD's
Bluetooth - IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adaptor
Video 1 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 with 27" Cinema Display
Video 2 - Intel HD4000 with a 24" Cinema Display via the thunderbolt connector
Ethernet - Built my own using a Mini pci-e to pci-e x1 adapter and a Broadcom mini pci-e card
Cooling - Zalman 9900 MAX Air Cooler
Power - Corsair HX750

Article: Troubleshooting iMessage Login Issues

Just wanted to add my 2¢... I tried all the fixes listed in this thread on a brand new build that I had done for my son. I could log in using my own Apple ID but not his. Nothing worked on his Apple ID except one thing that finally fixed it. I had to enter my credit card info into his iTunes account. Hmmm Apple.. really?

Hope this helps someone still having difficulty.

I am running a fusion drive setup and at first, this fix did not work for me. I was able to get it working by using Chameleon Wizard to do two things: first, I generated a new serial number and profile in smbios, and second, set my default drive (in org.chameleon.boot.plist) to my SSD in my fusion drive, which is disk (0,2) in Chameleon/Chimera. I then copied my /Extra folder to the "Boot OS X" helper partition on my SSD (disk0s3 on my machine). Just to make sure, I also extracted and copied boot, boot0 and boot1h to the correct places using the commands in Neilhart's guide. After a reboot, I was able to log into Messages and it is working fine. I know a few of you have fusion drive setups and I hope this is helpful to you. Like many of us, I've been working on this for a few evenings trying to get Messages working!

My build: GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7 2600k, Radeon 6870, 16GB RAM, MacMini 5,1 profile

Update - I upgraded to 10.8.3 and now Messages will not sign on. Generated a fresh s/n and re-installed the latest Chimera, copied /Extra to Fusion Drive helper partitions (/Volumes/Boot OS X). This time it did not work. I signed out of iCloud and cannot sign back in either. Signed out of iCloud on my iPhone and signed back in...tried again on my system, no luck.

For me, I tried to change the password, I tried changing the plist. The thing that made it work was to put a working credit card...

Got Messages working again. The 10.8.3 update caused problems, not sure what exactly. Reinstalled the latest Chimera, updated org.chameleon.Boot.plist to include default drive (hd(0,2) in my system), and extracted boot, boot1h and boot0 from the Chimera package, then installed them on my fusion drive setup. Booted up, logged into iCloud, then logged into Messages. All working now.

This might have only happened to myself, but I had to re-install Chimera after updating to 10.8.3 (for some reason I couldn't use iMessage again after updating).

I had the same experience. I'm using a fusion drive setup, and I had to reinstall Chimera, manually install the boot files to the hard disks in my fusion setup, and copy the updated /Extra folder over to the /Volumes/Boot OS X partitions. Now working fine. Also had to reinstall audio drivers as well.

However I have noticed, and this was prior to the 10.8.3 update that it is not possible to change the iMessage status to 'Available' or anything else. If you try to change it using the Messages>My Status all the options are greyed out. If you have selected under Messages>Preferences>General to 'Show Status in Menu Bar' it allows you to change it from the menu bar but it does not work.

Is anyone able to change their status or does everyone have this problem and been able to find a fix?

I have exactly the same issue. I can access my purchases in iTunes store and the Mac App store, I get no error messages when logging in to iMessages, I can even send a message with my iMessages account. The only thing that does not work is the status options that remain grayed out in Messages -> My Status, and my buddies list that does not show up.

Install Chimera 2.0, then move Extra folder to the desktop. Mount your boot drives and copy the extra folder to the 2 boot drives (like you did wen you created the drive). Once done, reboot and try logging in - should be good to go!

This worked for me, thanks buddy!
:)

Great post, tonymacx86!

In addition to the steps here, needed to run a "Keychain First Aid" within Keychain Access to fix all of the various "keychain login cannot be found" error messages I was getting. Hopefully that helps others in a similar position.

Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back