Contribute
Register

Trouble with Photos App Crashing System...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I actually don't let my system sleep, as I like to be able to remote VNC back into it as needed, so never tested it really, nor would I need/want to...

BUT...

I HAVE NEWS!!!

I tried your recommendation, turned off XMP, updated my config.plist to reflect XMP detection 'No' & found a bios setting for Memory Performance, where I could select High Performance, Normal or Stability. I, of course, chose Stability & between that & turning off XMP, Photos is running & has been for over 15 minutes now!!!

I will say this, I checked Activity Monitor & wholly hell, it's using 349% CPU Utilization, but IT.....IS.....RUNNING!

I also saw some other processes named 'VTDecoderXPCService' using incredibly high CPU utilization, but temperatures are ok...50-60's C & is still running, so if it stays running, you have made my day!

Can't begin to thank you enough!

Thanks again. System ran overnight with Photos running!

Now I'm giving it a proper testing....converting a 1.3TB iPhoto Library to a Photos Library... we'll see how that fares.

Thanks again, I would've likely never even thought to look at memory, as my system stress testing all appeared to be fine.

Never took them out actually...

...just tweaked my BIOS settings to throttle the sticks down to 1333Mhz, even though they're 1600Mhz DIMMs, turned off XMP & set that Performance Memory setting to Stability.

I'm at 3% of my 1.3TB iPhoto conversion....will report back on how it goes.

UPDATE:

I used NotShy's BIOS Guide
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/6064-not-shys-guide-bios-settings-memory-cpu-testing.html

...and tweaked a few more things in my BIOS & seems to be running even smoother. Imported 1.3TB of photos & videos & right now it's processing them all with temperatures staying below 60C. Before they'd jump up into the 70's, so feel like I'm getting even more stable now.

I also found my memory timing's were 9-9-9-24, but should be 8-8-8-24, so manually updated those as well.

Progress!

I am in the same situation. I have tried to follow in his footsteps but I can not solve the problem. I'm in the last bios, F6, but still have Restarts when I open Photos. I have nothing physically disabled following XBMP

I've had this problem as well with a Gigabyte z97x-UD5H. After reading this thread, I tried different combinations of XMP settings but nothing helped. However, I updated my bios to the latest version (rev 1.1 F10) and that appears to have done the trick.

I ended up switching to an Asus motherboard and no longer face this issue with Photos app. I had tried using different RAM with the Gigabyte mobo and it did not help. I even tried a beta BIOS for Z97MX Gaming 5 but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back