Contribute
Register

Trouble with Photos App Crashing System...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have the same issue. So far I've disabled XMP and set my memory frequency to 1333 MHz with some improvement in stability but it still crashes. It seems to be associated with a recent GoPro import including videos that it tries to upload to the cloud. There are constant Face Detection errors on the console. It abruptly shuts down after a few that say:

com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService:

VTCompressionSessionSetProperty signaled err=-12900 (kvtPropertyNotSupportedErr) (Unsupported property key (it's not in the SupportedPropertyDictionary)) at /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-1731.15.204/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTCompressionSession.c line 1883

com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService:

vtFindDynamicSession signalled err=-11200 (err) (registered pixel transfer service failed to open; falling back) at /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/Coremedia-1731.15.204/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTPixelTransferSession.c line 7388

Face Detection example:
10/2/16 3:41:24.119 PM Photos[646]: ERROR: error occurred in 'performFaceDetectionAndFaceTileGenerationForVersionIfNeeded': Error Domain=com.apple.Photos.FaceRecognitionErrorDomain Code=-1 "Processing failed, reason: Could not get correct grayscale image bytes for face detection, skipping face detection for image: 08jknl9YSL6VWFs12ZIuaw" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Processing failed, reason: Could not get correct grayscale image bytes for face detection, skipping face detection for image: 08jknl9YSL6VWFs12ZIuaw}

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hello, good people.

I just built my first system and everything seems to work well EXCEPT for the Photos app, which constantly freezes my entire system a few seconds after opening it. I have spent HOURS trying to figure this out, and it seems that many solved the issue by making BIOS changes (to change the RAM speed to 1333mhz), namely turning off XMP. Would anyone be so kind to explain how I go into my BIOS to do this? I did try to manually adjust the RAM settings, and then my whole system would not turn on.

NUC6i5SYH
RAM: Kingston HX421S13IBK2/16 (the kit recommended by many for this system config, actually)

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Hello, good people.

I just built my first system and everything seems to work well EXCEPT for the Photos app, which constantly freezes my entire system a few seconds after opening it. I have spent HOURS trying to figure this out, and it seems that many solved the issue by making BIOS changes (to change the RAM speed to 1333mhz), namely turning off XMP. Would anyone be so kind to explain how I go into my BIOS to do this? I did try to manually adjust the RAM settings, and then my whole system would not turn on.

NUC6i5SYH
RAM: Kingston HX421S13IBK2/16 (the kit recommended by many for this system config, actually)

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

What motherboard do you have?

XMP is always off by default unless you enable it. What RAM speed does it show under About Mac right now?

About Mac reports RAM speed of 2134 MHz DDR4.

In the BIOS, there seem to be three options: Automatic (the default), Manual - User Defined, and Profile 1: XMP-2132.

The Automatic seems to default to the same settings as XMP. When I tried making adjustments in Manual mode, my computer stopped working entirely.

The forums here suggest that I reduce my RAM speed to 1333 to see if Photos stops crashing. Also to update my "config.plist" to not detect XMP....but I'm not sure what that means....

I think the RAM you have runs at 2133MHZ by default. I think that's the lowest speed it runs at. You may have to underclock your RAM to run at 1333MHz but I'm not too familiar on how to do that. The spec sheet on Kingston's website lists 2133MHz for both plug and play and when XMP is enabled.

I think the RAM you have runs at 2133MHZ by default. I think that's the lowest speed it runs at. You may have to underclock your RAM to run at 1333MHz but I'm not too familiar on how to do that.
Thanks for your time and expertise anyway. I really appreciate it. I'll look into it or perhaps just buy different RAM, I guess. It just sucks that I need to do that just one for one app like Photos.

About Mac reports RAM speed of 2134 MHz DDR4.

In the BIOS, there seem to be three options: Automatic (the default), Manual - User Defined, and Profile 1: XMP-2132.

The Automatic seems to default to the same settings as XMP. When I tried making adjustments in Manual mode, my computer stopped working entirely.

The forums here suggest that I reduce my RAM speed to 1333 to see if Photos stops crashing. Also to update my "config.plist" to not detect XMP....but I'm not sure what that means....

Enable XMP in the BIOS if you have the option for it if not enable XMP to Yes in config. Verify that RAM is being seen in OS X/macOS make sure that SMBIOS Trust is set to True not False.

Enable XMP in the BIOS if you have the option for it if not enable XMP to Yes in config. Verify that RAM is being seen in OS X/macOS make sure that SMBIOS Trust is set to True not False.

He wants to reduce RAM speed to 1333MHz from 2133MHz. RAM specs states that it will be 2133MHz by default and even when XMP is enabled. For this issue, most of us have found that reducing RAM frequency resolves the Photos app from crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back