Contribute
Register

Trouble Finding Optimal GA-Z490-UD USB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I didn't realize the sidebar system config needed to match all posts I am currently asking for help about. It's not my primary system yet, so I had it in the footer signature instead. I will make that change now.

Does that mean I cannot make support requests of any kind for systems not in my signature? If I need help with one of my other systems, do I need to change the primary system signature? It seems like if that is the case, I cannot have support threads out for more than one system at a time? Please clarify.

I tried the USBPorts and Hackintool method many times, many different configurations, including all suggestions posted to me here, and was unable to get an accurate USB map. I chose the GA-Z490-UD board because it was listed in the Buyer's Guide. I figured things like the USB mapping would be solved for all recommended boards, and I searched for some time but I guess it is not the case.

I am willing to give it another try with Hackintool and USBInjectAll so I can post an accurate map/UIAC file to help with other builds. Perhaps with a vanilla UIAC that will somehow reveal all ports it will allow HS (USB2) connections?

Ah, I didn't realize the sidebar system config needed to match all posts I am currently asking for help about. It's not my primary system yet, so I had it in the footer signature instead. I will make that change now.

Does that mean I cannot make support requests of any kind for systems not in my signature? If I need help with one of my other systems, do I need to change the primary system signature? It seems like if that is the case, I cannot have support threads out for more than one system at a time? Please clarify.

You did not tell us anything about the PC you were requesting help with except the motherboard.

I went to considerable length to try and help, with what I knew, in post #2. I started by analysing your problem, identified the issues and then offered solutions.

You used an EFI for a completely different PC, as far as we could tell.

I tried the USBPorts and Hackintool method many times, many different configurations, including all suggestions posted to me here, and was unable to get an accurate USB map. I chose the GA-Z490-UD board because it was listed in the Buyer's Guide.

Sorry, but in that case you have misunderstood something in the process. A Gigabyte board with a Z490 is as straight-forward a proposition as you can get. That is why it is in the Buyer's Guide. Nothing unusual to worry about. Easier than most to configure USB as the DSDT is standard.

You do not tell us clearly the process you followed or the errors received. If you use the USBToolBox method, then did you use the Windows version or macOS?

I figured things like the USB mapping would be solved for all recommended boards, and I searched for some time but I guess it is not the case.

You are mistaken.

I am willing to give it another try with Hackintool and USBInjectAll so I can post an accurate map/UIAC file to help with other builds. Perhaps with a vanilla UIAC that will somehow reveal all ports it will allow HS (USB2) connections?

The point of USBInjectAll.kext is to open all ports for configuration. An SSDT is then used to remove excess ports and configure what remains correctly within the 15-port limit. Unfortunately macOS has changed recently and the Monterey stack has been re-written by Apple, so sometimes the full 26-ports do not show. This is why we sometimes suggest a Catalina install is used to perform the configuration. With that you can use the XhciPortLimit quirk. You can then carry forward the USBPorts.kext (or whatever corresponding method you choose) to the Monterey installation.

To help further, I can offer two kexts - attached - which might allow you to progress using only Monterey.

USBConfig.kext has all USB2 ports HS01 to HS14 configured for your Z490 and system-defintion iMac18,3. The point of this is to activate all ports so you can then make assumptions about where their SS/USB3 equivalents would be. SS is usually 16x ports (0x1*) above HS.

USBConfigAll.kext does have all ports - HS and SS - configured for any Intel chipset. System-definition again, is iMac18,3. This might not work for your set-up, and only show the first 15x ports.

These do not need USBInjectAll.kext or an SSDT so disable any/all for the duration of your testing.

Attachments

• USB Options.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 20
You did not tell us anything about the PC you were requesting help with except the motherboard.
I thought referencing the build I was working with and calling it out in the build signature was sufficient, my apologies.
I went to considerable length to try and help, with what I knew, in post #2. I started by analysing your problem, identified the issues and then offered solutions.

You used an EFI for a completely different PC, as far as we could tell.
Thanks for your help! I reviewed and followed all suggestions you gave, but didn't get much further. I had updated the EFI config build to use iMac19,1 per the original build I was referencing, from first post. Is there another place to update EFI configs for correct consistent build I am missing?

Sorry, but in that case you have misunderstood something in the process. A Gigabyte board with a Z490 is as straight-forward a proposition as you can get. That is why it is in the Buyer's Guide. Nothing unusual to worry about. Easier than most to configure USB as the DSDT is standard.

You do not tell us clearly the process you followed or the errors received. If you use the USBToolBox method, then did you use the Windows version or macOS?
I used ToolBox in Windows, sorry I didn't note that clearly - I've updated that post to be more specific.

The point of USBInjectAll.kext is to open all ports for configuration. An SSDT is then used to remove excess ports and configure what remains correctly within the 15-port limit. Unfortunately macOS has changed recently and the Monterey stack has been re-written by Apple, so sometimes the full 26-ports do not show. This is why we sometimes suggest a Catalina install is used to perform the configuration. With that you can use the XhciPortLimit quirk. You can then carry forward the USBPorts.kext (or whatever corresponding method you choose) to the Monterey installation.
Yes, I realized all of this before posting the original thread. Sorry I didn't inform you clearly.

To help further, I can offer two kexts - attached - which might allow you to progress using only Monterey.

USBConfig.kext has all USB2 ports HS01 to HS14 configured for your Z490 and system-defintion iMac18,3. The point of this is to activate all ports so you can then make assumptions about where their SS/USB3 equivalents would be. SS is usually 16x ports (0x1*) above HS.

USBConfigAll.kext does have all ports - HS and SS - configured for any Intel chipset. System-definition again, is iMac18,3. This might not work for your set-up, and only show the first 15x ports.

These do not need USBInjectAll.kext or an SSDT so disable any/all for the duration of your testing.
Thanks I will try those, but at this point I don't actually need it as I have a working Kext for my build albeit using ToolBox. I wouldd like to use the preferred discovery method and generate a USBPorts I could share with Z490-UD builds, but it just wasn't working. I can try again using the iMac18,3 SMBIOS config and see if that reveals all the ports.

I've noticed on subsequent boots and reloading the EFI/OC/config.plist with OC Configurator that the SMBIOS panel is missing info while the DataManager (sic?) panel still has the all the SN and UUIDs, but not the rest of the info prefilled when I select a system name from the drop down. Is there something maybe wrong with my SMBIOS/NVRAM or is that normal?

I can of course provide any and all build files, including EFI folder or IOReg export. I was just trying to limit the deluge of info to hone in on the issue at hand, but it looks like all kinds of factors can influence this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back