HD3000 (Integrated into CPU)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I have a minor annoyance with my build and was wondering if anybody had any advice. When my machine boots up with a USB drive plugged in, it gets stuck right before the bootloader and won't continue until the drive is unplugged. I've tried various BIOS setups but I haven't been able to get the machine to "ignore" the USB drive and select SSD where the OS is. Currently, I have the boot order set to only look for HDD, thinking that a USB drive would be called "USB-HDD," but that isn't working. Is this something I can fix, or is it just an issue I need to live with? Thanks!

Relevant (?) Machine Specs:
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
OSX 10.7.3

I have the same problem on my GA-B75 in Mountain Lion (Corsair Force SSD). I have a whole mess of USB HDDs that will stall the boot sequence before the bootloader if they're plugged in. Currently my solution is to connect them all via a hub and booting with the USB hub powered off, but this is obviously not a good solution. I tried removing them all from the boot order in the BIOS, but this doesn't seem to do anything. I would guess that this is a bootloader problem, not a BIOS problem, but I don't know how to get the bootloader to ignore all the other drives.

Other odd symptoms: The BIOS is incorrectly reporting the names of the USB drives. One managed to be called "UEFI: USB USB USB USB Hard Drive", so there's some crazy string concatenation going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back