Graphics
Nvidea GTX 770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hiya, I want to set up my Dell XPS L501x 15" to triple boot Mac OS, Ubuntu and Windows 8.1. I have already got dual booting working with Windows and Ubuntu however I now want to get Mac Mavericks working with it. I have access to a Mac to set up a bootable USB drive but I need a guide which works and won't rubbish up my machine. I always backup before doing stuff like this, but need as close to a complete guide...
Happy with links or any help thanks :D
Also, if there is any software please mention that and compatibility issues, etc...
Thanks
Ben

Hiya, I want to set up my Dell XPS L501x 15" to triple boot Mac OS, Ubuntu and Windows 8.1. I have already got dual booting working with Windows and Ubuntu however I now want to get Mac Mavericks working with it. I have access to a Mac to set up a bootable USB drive but I need a guide which works and won't rubbish up my machine. I always backup before doing stuff like this, but need as close to a complete guide...
Happy with links or any help thanks :D
Also, if there is any software please mention that and compatibility issues, etc...
Thanks
Ben

Easiest method:
1. get new HDD/SSD
2. Use a Mac to create UniBeast USB with purchased/downloaded OS X
3. Disconnect all drives in machine.
4. Install/connect new HDD/SSD
5. Install OS X on new drive
6. Reconnect all other drives
7. Boot to BIOS and make OS X drive first in HDD boot list.

But since this is a laptop, you will have to do it the hard way. Before you mess with your existing drive, get a new drive and try to install OS X just to see if it is possible. You will also need a larger capacity HDD anyway if you are using stock. If you have problems, post in the laptop forum.

Then you will need to start from scratch and install everything all over again on the new larger drive. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html for getting OS X and Win8 installed. Leave enough free space at the end of the drive to create your Linux partitions. Then install, selecting "Something Else" at the install screen and manually set up your partitions. When it asks where to install grub2, select the root partition / .

When you say I will need to restart from scratch, I have already got Linux and Windows working, can I not just add Mac OS X onto it?

When you say I will need to restart from scratch, I have already got Linux and Windows working, can I not just add Mac OS X onto it?

Not on the same drive. When you installed Widows you probably used the Windows install tool to format the drive - MBR partition tables by default if you did not install it UEFI. Either way, you need to riformat the HDD for OS X. Or do it the easy way and use a separate drive for OS X.

Not on the same drive. When you installed Widows you probably used the Windows install tool to format the drive - MBR partition tables by default if you did not install it UEFI. Either way, you need to riformat the HDD for OS X. Or do it the easy way and use a separate drive for OS X.

Can I not just format a partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back