Contribute
Register

[TOOL] [Generate Proper Problem Reporting Files]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My home folder does not have spaces in it. My account / username is singj. The hard drive that hosts this folder is called New Canaan. It is distinct from my System drive because my system drive is a smallish SSD and my User folder is large, so I have it on a separate drive and point the OS at it.

The amended CLOVER.zip file is attached to my post, above. Sorry about the large file. Should I delete? Also please see my question as to whether I should rename my System drive ("High Sierra"), separate hard drive that contains my home folder (hard drive, not user folder, is named "New Canaan"), or both before retesting. Thanks, RehabMan!

My home folder does not have spaces in it. My account / username is singj. The hard drive that hosts this folder is called New Canaan.

As I mentioned more than 3 times now...
The script will not work if you run it from a folder that has spaces in it (anywhere along the path).

Unless you're a masochist, avoid naming folders with spaces in them.

As I mentioned more than 3 times now...
The script will not work if you run it from a folder that has spaces in it (anywhere along the path).

(emphasis mine)

Respectfully, that last piece is what I needed to hear, and what wasn't clear from your previous posts. So I will run the script after renaming New Canaan again and will take screenshots.

Wouldn't this mean that the script would fail with anyone running it on machine with the default "Macintosh HD" drive name?

Wouldn't this mean that the script would fail with anyone running it on machine with the default "Macintosh HD" drive name?

Although I would not recommend that default, the script probably works fine in that case, due to the fact that if you follow the instructions in post #1, the script will be dealing only with relative paths from root via ~.

Problem is you're not following the instructions as written in post #1 at all.

(emphasis mine)

Respectfully, that last piece is what I needed to hear, and what wasn't clear from your previous posts. So I will run the script after renaming New Canaan again and will take screenshots.

once i had my hard drive named "High Sierra" and the script worked fine

Although I would not recommend that default, the script probably works fine in that case, due to the fact that if you follow the instructions in post #1, the script will be dealing only with relative paths from root via ~.

Problem is you're not following the instructions as written in post #1 at all.

I disagree. I only deviated from the directions in post #1 when you advised me to ignore the attached "install_tools.sh" script and clone the "gen_debug.sh" script directly from GitHub. I've been following that advice for all subsequent attempts, launching the "gen_debug.sh" script from the same location (Downloads folder) that the "install_tools.sh" script would have been launched from in post #1.

At any rate, I've finally had a success.

My steps:

Finder wouldn't allow a rename of the "New Canaan" drive, so I renamed it to "Canaan" in Disk Utility, pointed the Finder at Canaan/Users/singj so that it would know where the home folder had went, and restarted. (Failure to re-point Finder and restart is IMO the likely cause of all the permissions problems when I first tried this.)

This time, instead of running the cloned "gen_debug.sh" script, I downloaded the "install_tools.sh" from the link in post #1 and opened it in Terminal from the Downloads folder.

First try, it ran successfully all the way through exporting the IOReg info, then failed three times. I changed window focus by accident during that time and responded to the "Save As..." prompt that popped up manually, so I'm pretty sure I screwed it up.

Second try I was more diligently hands-off and the script was successfully able to run its course.

All evidence points to RehabMan's "don't use a space in your volume name" advice as being sound.

I can't explain why the script seems to break on my particular volume name and not others. I am curious if the first word "New" in the volume name was particularly problematic. If anyone else is willing to rename their drive to "New **" and try running the script, I'd be very curious to hear the results.

Whatever the case, thank you for your time in helping me to sort it. I'm off to ask for help with a (potentially) more complex issue without (hopefully) giving RehabMan any more grey hairs.

Jason

I disagree. I only deviated from the directions in post #1 when you advised me to ignore the attached "install_tools.sh" script and clone the "gen_debug.sh" script directly from GitHub. I've been following that advice for all subsequent attempts, launching the "gen_debug.sh" script from the same location (Downloads folder) that the "install_tools.sh" script would have been launched from in post #1.

I have no idea what you're really doing anymore.
At one point you say you're not running the script from your system drive (eg. you're running from some other drive "New Canaan", then next you state you followed post #1 as written (which clearly instructs to run from ~/Downloads).

This time, instead of running the cloned "gen_debug.sh" script, I downloaded the "install_tools.sh" from the link in post #1 and opened it in Terminal from the Downloads folder.

First try, it ran successfully all the way through exporting the IOReg info, then failed three times. I changed window focus by accident during that time and responded to the "Save As..." prompt that popped up manually, so I'm pretty sure I screwed it up.

Second try I was more diligently hands-off and the script was successfully able to run its course.

All evidence points to RehabMan's "don't use a space in your volume name" advice as being sound.

Great.

I can't explain why the script seems to break on my particular volume name and not others. I am curious if the first word "New" in the volume name was particularly problematic. If anyone else is willing to rename their drive to "New **" and try running the script, I'd be very curious to hear the results.

Already discussed: spaces in volume names or user folders are a bad idea.

Whatever the case, thank you for your time in helping me to sort it. I'm off to ask for help with a (potentially) more complex issue without (hopefully) giving RehabMan any more grey hairs.

Super.

I have no idea what you're really doing anymore.
At one point you say you're not running the script from your system drive (eg. you're running from some other drive "New Canaan", then next you state you followed post #1 as written (which clearly instructs to run from ~/Downloads).

I've always been running the script from New Canaan, where my user folder (and therefore my Download folder) is located. My OS is installed on a separate hard drive (an SSD). I'm sorry that communication is breaking down. :( I thought that the SDD "High Sierra" - where my OS is installed - would be referred to as my System drive (perhaps I'm confused about the nomenclature)? That's why I kept stating that the script was *not* being run from my System drive.

Thanks again, RehabMan. Sorry this was bumpy, but I appreciate this (and all the other work you put into supporting us).

I've always been running the script from New Canaan, where my user folder (and therefore my Download folder) is located. My OS is installed on a separate hard drive (an SSD).

In a typical system, the user folder is on the system drive.
If you're doing something strange/different, you may have issues, especially if you insist on using spaces (as we already discussed/discovered).

Bottom line: This script assumes that ~ does not expand to anything with spaces in it.

Thanks again, RehabMan. Sorry this was bumpy, but I appreciate this (and all the other work you put into supporting us).

No worries.

The script will not work if you run it from a folder that has spaces in it
Writing an update. Been a bit busy lately. Will push it in an hour or so.

P.S: It is a stupid idea to have spaces in your home folder name. It is also not allowed while choosing a new username (space input is disabled). The only way it is possible is if you manually choose a new home folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back