Contribute
Register

[TOOL] [Generate Proper Problem Reporting Files]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Writing an update. Been a bit busy lately. Will push it in an hour or so.

P.S: It is a stupid idea to have spaces in your home folder name. It is also not allowed while choosing a new username (space input is disabled). The only way it is possible is if you manually choose a new home folder.

As mentioned there are no spaces in my home folder name. Only the hard drive on which the folder resides. I didn't do anything unusual other than move my user folder off my boot drive (SSD with limited space) onto another internal drive and point the Finder at the new location.

I didn't do anything unusual other than move my user folder off my boot drive (SSD with limited space) onto another internal drive and point the Finder at the new location.
Like I said, you manually chose the home folder and that home folder name has spaces in it. To test this, open terminal, type:-
Code:
cd ~
pwd
You will see space in "New Canaan"

BTW, update is ready, just need to test and re-test before I push it out. Screenie :-
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 12.49.47 AM.png

Regards

EVERYONE! AN UPDATE FIXING A VERY RARE BUG IS ROLLING OUT. THE SCRIPT WILL UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY. SORRY THAT THIS HAPPENED.

Regards

As mentioned there are no spaces in my home folder name.

It is the entire home folder path that matters.

I think you will find out different when you check:
Code:
echo ~

It is the entire home folder path that matters.

I think you will find out different when you check:
Code:
echo ~

Thanks black.dragon74 & RehabMan. I get that the point you are trying to drive home to me is to think in terms of total file path, not just the actual name of the folder. It keeps coming across as though you think I somehow forced the system to give my specific home folder "singj" a name with a space in it. I didn't, but if you are looking at the total file path, then you are correct.

However, if my user folder was still on a default "Macintosh HD", wouldn't there also be a space in the total file path of the home folder? I just don't get it. I also don't get why black.dragon74 (and others) were able to get the script to work on volumes with a space in the name. My clearly inferior brain hurts. LOL

In all my years working with Macs, giving volumes a two-word name (such as "High Sierra" or "New Canaan") has never been an (obvious) issue to me, but I have faith in your expertise and cannot deny that my experience with the script has born this out. I've learned something new and will keep in in mind moving forward. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
However, if my user folder was still on a default "Macintosh HD", wouldn't there also be a space in the total file path of the home folder?

No.
With user name of 'singj', and user folder on system volume, your ~ would expand to '/Users/singj'.

That's awesome and answers my question precisely. Thanks so much! Reading up on how Unix (and MacOS specifically) deals with spaces in file paths. Thanks for the help!

When I want to run the script, it says following:

Code:
=====================================
+   macOS DEBUG REPORT GENERATOR    +
-------------------------------------
+       SCRIPT VERSION 4.2.7        +
+      AUTHOR: black.dragon74       +
Hold on for a moment....
Found script data directory at /Users/alexanderwenzel/Library/debugNk
EFI Mount Script (RehabMan) not found. Need to fetch it.
Checking connectivity..
Internet connectivity is all good to go.
Downloading EFI Mount script
Download failed due to some reasons. Try again.

I am running macOS Mojave Public Beta.
Please help!!

OFFTOPIC
@RehabMan Have you installed Mojave beta on any of your machines yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back