HD 4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last update: 04 Mar 2018
Current Version: 4.2

Hello guys,
I have seen many instances where people start a thread with the problem they are facing on their hack.

They try to describe the issue in their own way that most of the times, is not able to properly describe what's going wrong with their system.

The developers and other members on tonymacx86 can point out the problem exactly when they have a set of files, called problem reporting files.

These are basically a set of files that contain various logs and some other components.

Many a times a normal user can not generate those files properly and it leads to a lot of wastage of good time, frustrated by this, I wrote a script to generate proper problem reporting files. You can have a look at the source code here

The purpose of this guide is to tell the normal user on how to generate those files properly for debugging.

I wrote a script that automatically installs that debug report generator script and then gives you a .zip output.

If you are seeking help about a problem and you must attach problem reporting files as it saves a lot of time.

How to generate debug report:-

It is very simple, you just have to download the attached script and run it. The script in attachment will install the tool for you and will then prompt if you want to generate the files.

If you want to generate files next time, you just have to invoke: "gen_debug" from terminal (without quotes)

How to download and run attached script :-

• Unzip the downloaded zip file
  • Open terminal
  • Assuming your script is in Downloads folder, type the following code :-
Code:
chmod a+x ~/Downloads/install_tools.sh
~/Downloads/install_tools.sh

Args for gen_debug:

You can use custom set of args for controlling gen_debug output, this list will be updated as new features become available

• gen_debug -u || To update your copy (available from ver2.1+)
  • gen_debug -sysprofile || To include your system profile in the dump (available from ver2.2+)
  • gen_debug -sysprofile txt || To include system profile in the dump but in TXT format
Note: Whenever you change anything, you should attach new output of gen_debug.

Note 2: It is recommended to update your copy of gen_debug every alternate month (for fixes and new features). To do so, If you are running version 2.1 or above, you can simply type "gen_debug -u" (without quotes) in terminal. If you are running version 2.0 or less, you can use the attached installer script to update your copy.

Updates 4.1 to 4.2:
  • Experimental support for Chameleon (and similar) boot-loaders.
  • Check for ACPI origin files age. Should not be older than 1 day.
Updates 3.2 to 4.0:
  • Fix potential user's file deletion loophole
  • Make IOREG dump dynamic (time values are adjusted automatically for slower machines)
  • Include generic IOREG dump if normal IOREG dump fails more than 3 times.
  • Handle scenarios where CLOVER might not be installed.
  • Include kernel panic logs if exits.
  • Fixed issues with whitespaces in EFI pathname.
  • If root elevations fails, exit.
  • Include list of all loaded kexts in dump.
Update 3.1 - 1 Jan 2018:
  • Mask MLB in RtVariables section of config.plist
  • Fixed STDERR for pledit
Update 3.0 - 29 Dec 2017:
  • Fix conflicts with GNU date on some developer environments (Fix kernel log generation)
Update 2.9 - 21 Dec 2017:
  • Fix kextcache output redunancy on 10.13.1+
Update 2.8 - 13 Dec 2017:
  • Add NVRAM dump functionality.
  • Fix broken update functionality when using "-u" arg.
Update 2.7 - 12 Dec 2017:
  • If a new update for the script it available, it will update automatically. (Helps to stay you up-to-date)
  • New IOReg dump mechanism for slow machines.
  • Include script version in the dump report.
Update 2.6 - 11 Dec 2017:
  • IOREG dump will never ever fail again.
Update 2.5 - 3 Dec 2017:
  • Check for IORegistryExplorer version 2.1
Update 2.4 - 2 Dec 2017:
  • Script now also dumps your boot log
Update 2.3 - 2 Dec 2017:
  • Fixed an issue where the time stamp of files was overwritten to current system time, reported by RehabMan.
Update 2.2 - 27Nov 2017:
  • Added option to generate system information dump using -sysprofile arg
Update 2.1 - 27Nov 2017:
  • Fixed an issue where IOREG was not saved on some machines
  • You can now update your copy of OSX-Debug by using "-u" arg, like gen_debug -u
Regards

Attachments

• install_tools.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 10,267
Last edited:
Hello people,

This is a tribute to all the developers working very hard for this awesome hackintosh community.

Many a times I have seen developers asking users to attach proper problem reporting files and users failing to do so.

Gone are those times, this script does it all for you. Everything is described clearly in the README on github.

GitHub Link: https://github.com/black-dragon74/OSX-Debug

You will just have to press F2 to extract origin files once as that process can't be automated.

I don't have much to say about this script, just use and you'll know. I have attached a video demo in post #2

Out of the all people, @RehabMan, my inspiration this is dedicated to you!

Regards
Wow. Fantastic job! I just tried it and it did everything automatically. :)

@RehabMan This is the script I talked with you about. Worth adding to FAQ?

Would be really nice if you'd merge it to an Apple script that is saved as an app a double click and there you go
I prefer BASH and Terminal over AppleScript. There is tad bit of apple script in this shell script too. Have a look at the source code and you will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back