Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
undecided!
CPU
i7 6th gen
Graphics
gtx 1060
Hey chaps,
I'm trying to make a specific build that will support a 2012 iMac as a display screen as well as 2 other standard 1080p screens AND 2 thunderbolt 2 drives in raid config. I also want to be able to use a gtx1060.

so my thoughts turned to the thunderboltex 3 from ASUS and a compatible skylake mobo.

BUT

If i hook up the 1060 to the ex3 card and the thunderbolt header does that restrict that thunderbolt pipeline to video only? can I daisy chain the raid drives to the same pipeline? I'm guessing not, but if the mobo thunderbolt header is linked to the GPU would any other thunderbolt port on the mobo work for storage either?

Last edited:
Hey chaps,
I'm trying to make a specific build that will support a 2012 iMac as a display screen as well as 2 other standard 1080p screens AND 2 thunderbolt 2 drives in raid config. I also want to be able to use a gtx1060.

so my thoughts turned to the thunderboltex 3 from ASUS and a compatible skylake mobo.

BUT

If i hook up the 1060 to the ex3 card and the thunderbolt header does that restrict that thunderbolt pipeline to video only? can I daisy chain the raid drives to the same pipeline? I'm guessing not, but if the mobo thunderbolt header is linked to the GPU would any other thunderbolt port on the mobo work for storage either?
The Thunderbolt port can transmit both display and data at the same time, so that's not a problem. For example, you can connect a raid drive, and a display to the raid drive. However, I don't think Thunderbolt displays work with a Thunderbolt 3 hackintosh yet.

The Thunderbolt port can transmit both display and data at the same time, so that's not a problem. For example, you can connect a raid drive, and a display to the raid drive. However, I don't think Thunderbolt displays work with a Thunderbolt 3 hackintosh yet.
I think I'm wrong about Thunderbolt displays, but I'm still not sure about iMac Target Display Mode using Thunderbolt.
See #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back