Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

Is that Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge?

I think it could help. I noticed that for the flasher to work the firmware needs to be the exact size (1 meg) or its rejected. The firmwares from installers are always half that.

For example I attempted to put the original EX3 firmware back on the card and it was rejected. I even filled out the remainder of the file with 00000000 and FFFFFFFF (separate attempts) and it didn't work.

Be careful!

Is that Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge?

I think it could help. I noticed that for the flasher to work the firmware needs to be the exact size (1 meg) or its rejected. The firmwares from installers are always half that.

For example I attempted to put the original EX3 firmware back on the card and it was rejected. I even filled out the remainder of the file with 00000000 and FFFFFFFF (separate attempts) and it didn't work.

Be careful!

Probably a Titan Ridge.

@scottkendall woohoo look what I found! Thanks @jauntrix for being diligent.

thanks a lot for this hard work. I'm trying to adapt this over PEG (I´m over X299 plattform).
I backup the eprom from Alpine Ridge EX3 & Titan Ridge AIC (23 & 43)
Can you upload your modified SSDT-TbtOnPch_Designare-Draft07.aml?
Thx.

UPDATE
Well I learned a thing or two. This is Asus EX3 Firmware V18. My card is seemingly rare as it's V26. I did however manage to flash the card with v18 and the USB port showed up but not the thunderbolt. Quite informative. I'm reaching out to Asus now but they're tough to get ahold of.

FURTHER UPDATE
I tried quite a few different options but cannot quite get it right. I think I need V26 to patch the Osy-Patched-Firmware. Specifically I need the DROM and EE_PCIE_PHI seconds of the file chip2_fw.dat. <---In this scenario we're in luck having the Osy Patched Firmware. With Asus and GC it looks like all we need to do is take 0x4000 to the "Patches" section from their native firmware and patch that into the Osy Patched Firmware. When this is all over I hope to be able to make this from scratch but I'm still missing my own EX3 NVM26 firmware to test.

Last edited:
@scottkendall
GC Alpine Ridge:

Modified firmware based on OSY method, and custom SSDT by @NorthAmTransAm & DSM2 code for DSB2 and USB.

"REQUIRED" 3 & 5 pin Jumper for force power; TB HDR cable causes thunderbolt to not function.

Behavior:
Plug on Warm/Cold Boot, Hot Plug, eGPU, Sleep without ejecting devices. USB works with properties injection
No Audio Devices to test

GC Titian Ridge: Still needs work for USB

Modified firmware by DSM2 (See next Post) , custom SSDT from who knows where with NHI0 section "this helped with sleep with drives" from DSM2 EFI.

"REQUIRED" 3 & 5 pin Jumper for force power; TB HDR cable causes thunderbolt to not function.

Behavior:
Plug on Warm/Cold Boot, Hot Plug, eGPU, eGPU needs to be ejected for sleep otherwise you receive disconnect error.

Both Cards are installed in RP21,PXSX bottom long slot for tests, if placed in PEG1,PEGP middle long slot titian does not work at all and the alpine has working usb, but not TB3.

Please do not cloud @CaseySJ build thread about how to flash your device and you take all risk onto yourself.

Apple TB firmware from Sierra to Catalina

@scottkendall question are you using this SSDT with the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5?

I have tested it out with tb header cable connected with exact same result I got when using SSDT modified by Casey which in comparing both looks similar and was done originally by "NICO" from DSM2 crew.Looks nice.Hotplug don't work though

I have tested it out with tb header cable connected with exact same result I got when using SSDT modified by Casey which in comparing both looks similar and was done originally by "NICO" from DSM2 crew

That is not correct / Mine is actually KGP based, I then took a little bit of NICO and put it into KGP and boom that's what you got. For me it works as I outlined in the first post and it is why if you look inside it says KGPNI. With the cable it gave me undesirable results. It is not clear to me if you have changed your Firmware or not.

@scottkendall yes indeed I flash my Titan Ridge with DSM2 firmware.Am about to try it with the TB header cable disconnected with jumper between pin 3-5.Sorry about the KGP NICO mix up
Thanks and cheers man

I am thinking my Asus EX3 already has the most up to date firmware. I am attempting to use the firmware updater but on looking at the config file, it seems this latest updater is meant for updating from NVM Firmware Version 18 to 26. The updater also needs a chip2_Fw.dat file which is not in the latest firmware updater package 1.0.0.15. So is 26.00 the latest firmware.
The card seems to be working OK in Windows 10

I reinstalled Windows just to confirm this as I was having no luck getting it to work on my Mojave hack. At least if I know this is the latest version on the card I can move forward.

@bobbyrabbit, if you still have your EX3 card could you do me the kindest favor?

Try to run the firmware updater again. It won't proceed like last time because it's up to date. However, it will create a file name tbtfirmware.bin. Could you send that file here if you're still around?

Also @subsonikz :)

Last edited:
Back