Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering now if Sierra OS X has TBolt 3 full bandwidth enabled in software (OS X) in any or all versions of Sierra? Not having any TBolt 3 devices to check, just wondering if anyone has TBolt 3 working via the USB 3.1 port? I saw a good hack to enable "unsupported" devices on 9-5 Mac, but I don't know if the full 40Gb/s TBolt 3 bandwidth is enabled.

Of course I am referring to OS X Sierra running on a desktop, not one of the new Macbook Pro laptops.
Thunderbolt 3 works, but it doesn't show in System Information.app. I don't have any devices that are faster than 20 Gb/sec so I can't test 40 Gb/sec. I think the best way to answer this is to find someone using an Nvidia external GPU via Thunderbolt 3 on a hackintosh laptop, and ask what the CUDA-Z performance benchmark reports. 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 should be almost 4GB/s. They should see at least more than 2500 MB/s to be 100% sure they are getting the 40 Gb/s rate.

How about the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/AC mini ITX motherboard…?

(…this is the only ITX MB with TB…)

Anyone have success on getting the TB3 port working in macOS Sierra…?

I want to build a Hackintosh for use with Logic Pro X & use an Apollo Twin for my interface; this unit has a TB2 connection, so that previously mentioned Apple TB2 < > TB3 will be on the radar as well…!

I've had the same mobo working with TBolt 1 and 2 devices for the past 6 months. I have TBolt 1 G-Raids and a T-Bolt 2 Blackmagic Multidock (which surprisingly has allowed disk hot swapping). Running Sierra 10.12.1 and cabling via Apple adapter USB 3.1 to Thunderbolt devices.

I'm wondering now if Sierra OS X has TBolt 3 full bandwidth enabled in software (OS X) in any or all versions of Sierra? Not having any TBolt 3 devices to check, just wondering if anyone has TBolt 3 working via the USB 3.1 port? I saw a good hack to enable "unsupported" devices on 9-5 Mac, but I don't know if the full 40Gb/s TBolt 3 bandwidth is enabled.

Of course I am referring to OS X Sierra running on a desktop, not one of the new Macbook Pro laptops.

Any info greatly appreciated

Hello herrschultzz
For now I use the TB3 only for the BlackMagic Video Device for Video Editing..
I don't use it with the TB3 full bandwith device..
Maybe you can refer to the joevt's message.
Thx.. :)

Hey guys! I have the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 board with bios f20. I don't seem to have the "Unique ID/Legacy" setting. Any ideas what I can do to get Thunderbolt working?

Hey man!

Did you get this working on Gaming 7 ?

I've had the same mobo working with TBolt 1 and 2 devices for the past 6 months. I have TBolt 1 G-Raids and a T-Bolt 2 Blackmagic Multidock (which surprisingly has allowed disk hot swapping). Running Sierra 10.12.1 and cabling via Apple adapter USB 3.1 to Thunderbolt devices.

Any info greatly appreciated
You can check in "About this Mac --> System Report --> Thunderbolt"

I have that motherboard and Firmware with the following BIOS settings:
Thunderbolt(TM) Support: Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Disabled
ThunderBolt Detachable Graphics Support: Disabled
Skip PCI OptionRom: Enabled
Security Level: User Authorization
Reserved Memory: 256
Reserved PMemory: 32

I don't know which if any of those settings are required to make Thunderbolt work. I don't remember if those are the default settings. All I know is, that my Thunderbolt 2 Dock works.

Make sure the Thunderbolt device is working in Windows. For Mac OS X, the Thunderbolt device must be connected before startup.

Hi there

I have the same motherboard and nearly the same other hardware, and I followed your installation but I cannot make my audio work. I have used Sierra 12.12.5. Furthermore I connected my monitor LG 27UD 58 with the DisplayPort cable I hope this is not the problem.

Update: I have my audio work, my only problem is to get my Thunderbolt 3 working. I have tried the procedure with Windows, and in Windows I see my Thunderbolt drives and can see all the drives and files. But, after I shutdown Windows and start Sierra with connected 5 bay array, I get the message in my System under Thunderbolt no drivers loaded. I use a Apple cable from Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 2, and I use a 5 bay array from Oyen Digital.

I have updated my bios to f20 and I also add my config.plist and a pdf file with screenshots of my bios settings.
Thanks for all your work and good description from the procedure.

If you need more information for me to help, let me know.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 278
  • GA Z170X Gaming Bios Settings.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Hi there

I have the same motherboard and nearly the same other hardware, and I followed your installation but I cannot make my audio work. I have used Sierra 12.12.5. Furthermore I connected my monitor LG 27UD 58 with the DisplayPort cable I hope this is not the problem.

Update: I have my audio work, my only problem is to get my Thunderbolt 3 working. I have tried the procedure with Windows, and in Windows I see my Thunderbolt drives and can see all the drives and files. But, after I shutdown Windows and start Sierra with connected 5 bay array, I get the message in my System under Thunderbolt no drivers loaded. I use a Apple cable from Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 2, and I use a 5 bay array from Oyen Digital.

I have updated my bios to f20 and I also add my config.plist and a pdf file with screenshots of my bios settings.
Thanks for all your work and good description from the procedure.

If you need more information for me to help, let me know.
Ignore the "no drivers loaded" message. That's expected for Thunderbolt 3 devices on PC hardware.
You should be able to see your Thunderbolt device is IORegistryExplorer. Download IORegistryExplorer.app version 2.1 and save a copy of you IORegistry.

Hello..
I've just built a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH for video production.
Thunderbolt is working fine after firmware update in windows.
I have the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" from Apple to connect to the Video Device : The BlackMagic UltraStudio Express which is Thunderbolt 2 connection.
As everyone, I must connect the Thunderbolt device before startup..

Hey Krysed -I have the same setup as you --I too got the TB working with firmware update BUT here are my experiences- I stayed on Bios F5 and I am using the StarTech TB3-2 adapter. OS X about this Mac says "No TB device or diver attached and also I read that the Apple TB3-2 was the only one that would work. I didn't want to upgrade my MB because I had heard it breaks your clover boot.... thoughts ?

Anyone have any advice for a partially working thunderbolt 3 on Sierra? I think it has something to do with pulling an IP over thunderbolt. I can connect a lacie drive via the apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 converter and it works fine. But, I've tried connecting with my QNAP TVS-1282T NAS and using thunderbolt target display mode to an iMac and neither works. The NAS will show the thunderbolt connection briefly and then disconnect it. Works fine in windows on the dual boot.

Anyone have any advice for a partially working thunderbolt 3 on Sierra? I think it has something to do with pulling an IP over thunderbolt. I can connect a lacie drive via the apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 converter and it works fine. But, I've tried connecting with my QNAP TVS-1282T NAS and using thunderbolt target display mode to an iMac and neither works. The NAS will show the thunderbolt connection briefly and then disconnect it. Works fine in windows on the dual boot.
What exactly do you want to use over Thunderbolt 3? I don't think Hackintosh can use iMac in Thunderbolt target display mode. Try connecting the QNAP by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back