Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello dear friends

I created this thread to share our experiences with various configuration of our hackintosh.

Are you using thunderbolt 3 with your hackintosh and are you using it to do what?

Unfortunately, I do not still have a USB type C monitor like the LG’s 27UD88-W but I plan to use my TB3 port of my Dell Skylake XPS with it like in the video http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/lg-27ud88-w-usb-c-4k-monitor-macbook-review/ .

I know some Skylake motherboards like Gigabyte are equipped with TB3 port.. is someone using it?

Please share your experience!

Thank you

PS Adam says 10.11.5 El Capitan have not TB3 kext support... and macOS Sierra?

There are other threads where people have used the Thunderbolt 3 ports in Mac OS X.

I've posted my experience at http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-thunderbolt-3-for-music-production.186733/

It works if it's plugged in at startup. I've tested a hard drive and display adapters. I'll test a thunderbolt 2 dock in 4 or 5 days.

I think the hard drive is more reliable than the display adapters (because Intel graphics is kind of flaky for me in Mac OS X).

I haven't looked to see if macOS Sierra has Thunderbolt 3 support. I don't even know if the lack of Thunderbolt 3 support in 10.11.5 is because of the drivers, or because the DSDT is missing properties that the drivers require. There's no Apple open source for the Thunderbolt drivers, but I believe the PCI enumeration is in the IOPCIFamily which does have source code (I haven't checked though).

Apple introduced its first TB3 featured laptop. The new Macbook Pro features an Intel® JHL6540 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller
Some MBs already use that chipstet ( but with older FW I think).

I have a Skylake Gigabyte Gaming 7 and it uses a Intel® DSL6540 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller
The same Secifications ( but not the same release name )
http://ark.intel.com/compare/87402,94031

I'm wondering if the new sierra build 10.12.2 beta adds the TB3 support. Hopefully.

And if we need clover patch to activate it.

Any clue ?

Apple introduced its first TB3 featured laptop. The new Macbook Pro features an Intel® JHL6540 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller
Some MBs already use that chipstet ( but with older FW I think).

I have a Skylake Gigabyte Gaming 7 and it uses a Intel® DSL6540 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller
The same Secifications ( but not the same release name )
http://ark.intel.com/compare/87402,94031

I'm wondering if the new sierra build 10.12.2 beta adds the TB3 support. Hopefully.

And if we need clover patch to activate it.

Any clue ?

I'm not sure, but I'm confident that this will be a huge peice of the puzzle that is fully compatible TB3 in hackintosh, with the ability to plug & pull while powered on. I'll be watching this closely

Also, check out the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" which Apple is selling for much cheaper than 3rd party adapters. I wonder if it will work on non-Apple machines?

Apple says the adapter also allows using Thunderbolt 3 devices on older Thunderbolt 2 Macs (but only if they're using macOS Sierra) which the 3rd party adapters don't allow.

I've ordered one for testing because it's so cheap, and I'll be able to test my Thunderbolt 3 hard drive on a Thunderbolt 2 MacBook Pro.

Hi everyone, same for me, I use a Gigabyte x99p Sli (2017 with 2.3 Bios update done, so I think thunderbolt chipset firmware already update) with i7 5820k intel 6 cores and a GT730 silent.
I install Yosemite 10.10.2 with Clover, Pro Tools HD 10.3.10, Focusrite Claret 8PreX Thunderbolt with Adapter Apple Th3 to Th2.
Change the Thunderbolt Security Settings in the BIOS from "Unique ID" to "Legacy", remove all Apple Thunderbolt Drivers and it works perfeclty. Geekbench reach Mac Pro 6 core. Work perfectly smooth and fast.

Hey guys! I have the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 board with bios f20. I don't seem to have the "Unique ID/Legacy" setting. Any ideas what I can do to get Thunderbolt working?
I have that motherboard and Firmware with the following BIOS settings:
Thunderbolt(TM) Support: Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Disabled
ThunderBolt Detachable Graphics Support: Disabled
Skip PCI OptionRom: Enabled
Security Level: User Authorization
Reserved Memory: 256
Reserved PMemory: 32

I don't know which if any of those settings are required to make Thunderbolt work. I don't remember if those are the default settings. All I know is, that my Thunderbolt 2 Dock works.

Make sure the Thunderbolt device is working in Windows. For Mac OS X, the Thunderbolt device must be connected before startup.

Hello..
I've just built a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH for video production.
Thunderbolt is working fine after firmware update in windows.
I have the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" from Apple to connect to the Video Device : The BlackMagic UltraStudio Express which is Thunderbolt 2 connection.
As everyone, I must connect the Thunderbolt device before startup..

Hello..
I've just built a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH for video production.
Thunderbolt is working fine after firmware update in windows.
I have the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" from Apple to connect to the Video Device : The BlackMagic UltraStudio Express which is Thunderbolt 2 connection.
As everyone, I must connect the Thunderbolt device before startup..

I've had the same mobo working with TBolt 1 and 2 devices for the past 6 months. I have TBolt 1 G-Raids and a T-Bolt 2 Blackmagic Multidock (which surprisingly has allowed disk hot swapping). Running Sierra 10.12.1 and cabling via Apple adapter USB 3.1 to Thunderbolt devices.

I'm wondering now if Sierra OS X has TBolt 3 full bandwidth enabled in software (OS X) in any or all versions of Sierra? Not having any TBolt 3 devices to check, just wondering if anyone has TBolt 3 working via the USB 3.1 port? I saw a good hack to enable "unsupported" devices on 9-5 Mac, but I don't know if the full 40Gb/s TBolt 3 bandwidth is enabled.

Of course I am referring to OS X Sierra running on a desktop, not one of the new Macbook Pro laptops.

Any info greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back