Graphics
intergrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys/girls. Really struggling with a friends laptop.

The Laptop is a Dell Latitude D620

Basically, When ever a hard drive is placed into the laptop and turned on, it is instantly corrupted. I had 2 WORKING HDD's, with the same fresh install of windows 7 done on a working laptop. They both boot perfect and work fine. I put them one at a time into the friends laptop and instantly both can neither boot. Corrupted or missing boot files, PC gets about 10 seconds into the windows boot screen and just shuts down and restarts. I take the HDD's back into my working laptop and neither can boot. However on the working laptop I can use Start up repair to fix them, but one the bad laptop it can't find out the problem. The bad laptop is unable to install any OS as it 'can't find existing partitions or create a new one. It also won't run the memory diagnostic, Start up recovery ect as "files are missing". Yes I have tried safe mode, disabling the auto restart on boot ect. Took a look at the BIOS and you can't even change HDD settings as there is no option to.

Errors I have been given:
Stop:0x00000050
Files missing (start up repair)
BootMRG corrupted or missing
Boot/BCD
0xc000000f
Things I have tried:

Changing HDD settings in bios (no option)
New RAM
Removed CD drive
Booting in Safe mode
Disabling the reboot (blue screens with Error: stop:Stop:0x00000050
Formatting through CMD
Boot disks
Start up repair (no conclusion on the bad laptop, missing boot files on the good laptop)
Multiple HDD's
Formatting/re-partitioning HDD's (bad laptop says setup unable to create a new partition or locate an existing partition, good laptop does it perfectly)
Memory Diagnostic (no problem)
HDD Diagnostic (no problem)

I have a feeling that it's the connection between the HDD and the mobo but I may well be wrong. No Tech support can figure it out. Hopefully one of you can help

Thanks
Jamie

Beginning with Windows 7 is it no longer possibe to just take a working drive from one machine and install it in another and have it boot - this is part of the Microsoft Anti-Piracy effort. When you do an install the installer makes a "snapshot" of your hardware and saves it in a file. If the "snapshot" and hardware do not match you get a failure to boot or an instant reboot forever.

Before moving the drive you have to delete certain files BEFORE you relocate the drive. At the first boot in the drive's new home it is as if you just finished the first install and you have to set up users again.

In your case, you could clone the good drive in the good laptop to a drive in an external enclosure, then go in and delete the files and move the drive to the other laptop. Note that doing this is going to cause you to have to re-validate the license key on the new laptop hardware, thereby invalidating it on the old laptop.

Do you have a valid unused install DVD with license key or a newly purchased license key or the one from the old laptop install?

Use the key from the old laptop. I'd leave it up to my friend to but a licence so I'd just install it without licening and give it back to him to do

Hi im new the forums and I dont know hot to post but im trying to install OSX Snow LeOpard on My Lenovo Z510 and I boot up iBoot but i cant find my snoe leopard dvd plz help me

My specs are: i7 4700mq 8gb ram 1tb hdd Intel hd4600
sorry for not making my own post but i dont know how Thx in advance

Hi im new the forums and I dont know hot to post but im trying to install OSX Snow LeOpard on My Lenovo Z510 and I boot up iBoot but i cant find my snoe leopard dvd plz help me

My specs are: i7 4700mq 8gb ram 1tb hdd Intel hd4600
sorry for not making my own post but i dont know how Thx in advance

For laptop support post in the Laptop Forum - http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-laptop-support/?sort=postusername&order=asc

To start a new thread, click on the Post new thread button below the forum title on the top left above the previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back