Contribute
Register

TheBigNoob's G5 Mod Worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work! I'm very happy to found your G5 Mod because I was planning to do exactly the same mod (ATX PSU to Power Mac PSU housing, use exclusively Noctua fans, buy the mod kit from The Laser Hive and use fancy cable sleeve) but with ATX (not mATX) kit and mobo.

Actually, do your PSU still correctly working? Do you have any suggestion to make to any other noob (like me) who want to rehousing the G5 PSU?

Also, with 10 Noctua fans + your GPU fan... what about the noise?

Not loud at all, much quieter than my NZXT H2 fully loaded with NZXT fans.

The modding process isn't all that difficult at all but honestly my pro tips is as follow, go slow, don't try to directly wire the outlet from the PSU to the outlet on G5 housing. I used a right angle cable, cut that, and made the necessary splices up to the G5 housing inlet. There's tutorials floating around the web showing how to do this. I'm going back and redoing it soon though just because i'm opting for a seasonic PSU, and want to have enough horsepower in the future if I want to opt for a SLI setup on my windows partition.

Super cold though, ambient temps get down to 11C when idle, very quiet in comparison to my old setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back