2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
TheBigNoob's G5 Mod Worklog [Completed]

Hey Friends,

Now that I've fine tuned my PC for both Windows and OSX usage, I thought it was time to up the ante with a G5 Case mod.

I managed to get a fully assembled and functioning G5 case from my boss for a cool $50 USD and then I went on a shopping spree. I contacted David Chugg of TheLaserHive.com, had him fabricate a motherboard tray and backplate, followed by an order from Alohacab for the front panel cable. The idea was to use the existing PCI slots with a full ATX board.

Here is the "Guts" List

CPU : Intel Core i5 3570K
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Video Card : Galaxy GTX670 2GB
RAM : 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair Venegence Low Profile Ram @ 1600
Hard Drive Cage : Lian-Li EX-H33B

Storage : Seagate 1TB harddrive (Storage)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OSX)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Windows)

Optical : Lite-On 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM
CPU Heatsink/Fan : Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Corsair CX600M

Fans: 1 x Noctua NF-P12 120mm x 25mm Fan
2 x Noctua NF-B9 92mm 92mm x 25mm Fan
2 x Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm x 25mm Fan

To-Do List:

Assemble Backplate [x]
Assemble Motherboard Tray [x]
Assmbled PSU Mod [x]
Assemble Top Tray [x]
Assemble Hard Drive Cage [x]

I'm waiting on some SATA cables and sleeving to complete the PSU Mod. Hopefully I won't fry myself in the process, as for the last two items, they are both interrelated; I need to halve the top tray in order for it to fit in with a full sized motherboard, from there the hard drive cage will be attached to the bottom of the top tray, if that makes any sense what-so-ever.

Now For some pictures in mostly chronological order.

The Mad Scientist's lab
qAnYtcgh.jpg

QLGkNCth.jpg

Fitting the Back Plate
RpzJZG2h.jpg

SQFxTr8h.jpg

GBXovVgh.jpg

Tu4kW8Jh.jpg

Building the fan enclosure...
2TRPgUHh.jpg

Q0cH8c6h.jpg

P4G0XRBh.jpg

Now on to the PSU...
tT39stmh.jpg

More to come later, as long as I don't electrocute myself before then ;)

Thanks Minihack, here's some updates!

First for the psu.

I was leaning on towards using a thick doubled sided tape to affix the pcb to the G5 housing but my mod instincts were wary, I opted instead for dremeling off the bottom of the psu's orignal housing for the standoffs so everything grounds correctly. From there I'll be JB Welding it to the G5 psu housing and we should be right as rain.

Bottom housing
ywTClRXh.jpg

Quick fit test looks like everything has enough clearance.
GLgqCBVh.jpg

PSU cable feng shui
iO45G39h.jpg

Still waiting on the two 6 pin pci-e cables, I'll have to clear some room on the psu port to fit all the cabling when it comes in.
Zy9e8CPh.jpg

Now for a moving transition into the top tray and hard drive bay mod. First a quick fit test with the motherboard and company, and where the drive bay would perhaps go to in relation of the top tray.

Pfwe0SHh.jpg

Now make the cut
lOCeMxoh.jpg

From there, I drilled some holes into the Lian-Li hard drive cage, i'll be using the existing standoffs that came with the G5 to attach to the top tray, which is perfect to allow enough room to put the 120mm fan onto the front of the assembly.
wbYb0Efh.jpg

Then drilled matching holes into the top tray...
3Jfyjozh.jpg

QmFhkVXh.jpg

Similar to the PSU housing mounts, I'll be using JB weld on the underside of the hard drive cage to affix the fan enclosure
wntcklph.jpg

Hodgepodge of fans :D
tmtMb59h.jpg

More to come soon!

Yes, on a PSU mod in the G5 case airflow is really important.

Looks like you put two extraction fans from the PSU case as well as two intake is that right? It's an interesting configuration and should surely help to keep temp.s down.

Yes, on a PSU mod in the G5 case airflow is really important.

Looks like you put two extraction fans from the PSU case as well as two intake is that right? It's an interesting configuration and should surely help to keep temp.s down.

It looks that way in the picture, but that's actually the back dual 92mm fan housing sitting on top of the PSU. The pci-e cables come today, and i'll be doing some major zip tying and cable shorting to promote good airflow. My main concern was to get the PSU in a position that it's as close to the fans as possible while maintaining enough space so it's capable of traveling around the pcb and will exit out the back based on the way extra cabling is placed. Everything is pretty much in place except for the PSU which I gauge it's progress at around 50%, i'll hopefully have it completed tonight and have my computer up and running

I applied JB Weld to the fan enclosure to the hard drive cage and did a fit test. I got almost to close for comfort leaving about 2 mm of space between the top of the fan housing to wear the I/O plate for the Optical bay is.
heNOlRq.jpg

PBMzX8Oh.jpg

Oi3IP7Zh.jpg

wdJDVaxh.jpg

JUan41Vh.jpg

I placed my HDD tray in the exact same position and you will have noticed it yourself… GPU longer as the 670s will not fit :(

There's no denying Dschijn, your mod was the inspiration for me to do that. The lian li hard drive cage is an excellent product to conceal those sata connections and consolidate power cables. I was so surprised how snug everything fits together, had i went with one of the 79XX ATI cards for my build, i don't think I'd be able to pull off this mod.

pbAoKBS.jpg

I've got a mini-update, PCI-E cables and some new ram heat spreaders. Had to remove the gaudy corsair heat spreaders because the Noctua Heatsink is just to massive, also I think they look ugly. I only had a couple of hours to work last night, had to be at the girlfriend's for dinner and I had no time for PSU testing. She said I looked like I was restless sleeping, I wonder why...

qeDEm5Wh.jpg

Ao2NMhVh.jpg

I'm going to be modifying motherboard cables so they are shorter and won't interfere with airflow tonight, hopefully everything everything will be done by end of night.

Edit: Payday. Ordered two of these guys today, can't wait for early next week :)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7PD256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU

Looks terrific so far! Great work...

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back