Contribute
Register

The GTX 650 Ti Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to a EVGA GTX650....working great with Intel DH55PJ motherboard and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Had to set PCIRootUID=1. I have another hard drive with SL 10.6.8 and it only displays 1024x768. Anyone have an idea on that?

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the fan didnt spin at all. Their is something wrong if its idling at 42... mine idles at 25. I'm really suspecting their is something wrong with your card. Did you install the nvidia drivers for windows?The HD4000 should be much more native under windows then mac, did you install the HD4000 drivers? Everything for windows needs a driver. I had the same experience, I installed mac osx easier on a PC, then I installed windows on a PC, Bizarre.

I gave up windows, seems to be either an absurd driver problem, my cpu is fubar, my mb is fubar. Neither HD 4000 nor 650 ti works. Separately or together. Tried 2 win7 versions and 1 win 8. All crash at login at either garbled screen or black screen with frequent hard auto resets. But ML works flawlessly except the fans not spinning higher on the 650 ti! Tried also all 3 mb bioses available. 650 is also changing frequencies under load as it should..

oh well its a grand mystery....that i suspect has smth to do with the cpu, ram and mb. Ill settle with mac os until new mb bios, hd4000 and nvidia drivers turn up.

But anyway, could there be a gpu fan setting has smth todo with the agpm kexts, or smth else? is that completely ruled out?

I gave up windows, seems to be either an absurd driver problem, my cpu is fubar, my mb is fubar. Neither HD 4000 nor 650 ti works. Separately or together. Tried 2 win7 versions and 1 win 8. All crash at login at either garbled screen or black screen with frequent hard auto resets. But ML works flawlessly except the fans not spinning higher on the 650 ti! Tried also all 3 mb bioses available. 650 is also changing frequencies under load as it should..

oh well its a grand mystery....that i suspect has smth to do with the cpu, ram and mb. Ill settle with mac os until new mb bios, hd4000 and nvidia drivers turn up.

But anyway, could there be a gpu fan setting has smth todo with the agpm kexts, or smth else? is that completely ruled out?
I don't understand whats going on. Did you go to your motherboards website and download all the drivers for your mbo as soon as you installed windows?

I would really consider RMA'ing your GPU, or at least asking a friend to test it, this should not be happening since nobody else is having any of these fan problems.

I don't understand whats going on. Did you go to your motherboards website and download all the drivers for your mbo as soon as you installed windows?

I would really consider RMA'ing your GPU, or at least asking a friend to test it, this should not be happening since nobody else is having any of these fan problems.

1st question, yes. But back to the gpu-fan.. Well it seems sometimes the most banal things are what's going on. After a heavy windows installation session, involving pulling the card out before install, some small cables from a case-fan controller had gotten stuck in the gpu fan! (yes, facepalm!)

So when I gave up windows I was running ML without a spinning gpu fan..

But windows still is crashes when I try to install drivers either for the HD 4000 or 650 ti. Either at the loading logo, login screen, or black screen after/during logo. But I guess that's a question for a different community. :) Thanks for all the help at least!

I'm looking to update from integrated graphics to a discrete card. I use a program called iShowU HD which captures streaming video. I have had no success with fluid videos. At first I thought I was experiencing a software issue, but now believe that the program is dropping frames because my hardware can't keep up. I want to get the best card available to me for ~$150, but don't want to purchase a card that won't keep up with what I'm trying to do. Anyone able to comment on whether this card would meet the need of screen capturing at least a 720p streaming video source?

my system specs:
mobo: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
cpu: 3.3 core i5 2500k
grpahics: intel HD 3000
ram: 8gb ddr3

Thanks for the help guys. This community is great.

I'm looking to update from integrated graphics to a discrete card. I use a program called iShowU HD which captures streaming video. I have had no success with fluid videos. At first I thought I was experiencing a software issue, but now believe that the program is dropping frames because my hardware can't keep up. I want to get the best card available to me for ~$150, but don't want to purchase a card that won't keep up with what I'm trying to do. Anyone able to comment on whether this card would meet the need of screen capturing at least a 720p streaming video source?

my system specs:
mobo: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
cpu: 3.3 core i5 2500k
grpahics: intel HD 3000
ram: 8gb ddr3

Thanks for the help guys. This community is great.
Easily. It would be no struggle whatsoever. This is at least 15 times more powerful then your HD3000.

Great. Thanks.

Most of the help I've seen in this thread and others is geared towards those running Mountain Lion. Will I have compatibility issues since I am still on 10.7.5?

Most of the help I've seen in this thread and others is geared towards those running Mountain Lion. Will I have compatibility issues since I am still on 10.7.5?
Yes. the built-in support for nVidia 6xx cards came with 10.8. I recall that there was discussion about using these cards on Lion and it was more labour intensive. I think the thinking at the time was that the 5xx cards were better for Lion but I have not followed those threads. Hopefully some searching will find good answers.

So if I want to stay with Lion, I should look at 5xx cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back