Contribute
Register

The GTX 650 Ti Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking a stupid question... but why do you need both? You probably just explained it there but I'm still installing OS X all together, so I'm far behind.

It's actually a good question. The answer is you dont. The 650 ti is roughly 9-10 times as powerful as the HD4000. It just gives you the ability to drive even more monitors. Plus I dont like the feeling knowing I'm leaving the HD4000 unused. Also I think (no completely sure) technically if you have both enabled, applications can tap both of them simultaneously using opencl, but im not sure at all.

It's actually a good question. The answer is you dont. The 650 ti is roughly 9-10 times as powerful as the HD4000. It just gives you the ability to drive even more monitors. Plus I dont like the feeling knowing I'm leaving the HD4000 unused. Also I think (no completely sure) technically if you have both enabled, applications can tap both of them simultaneously using opencl, but im not sure at all.
That would be cool! I think for myself, I'll just stick with the 650ti alone.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for, I'll tell you guys if I can get it to work.

Just an update after messing around with bios and org.chameleon.Boot.plist I eventually gave up on enabling both simultaneously. HD4000 sucks anyways compared to the GTX 650 ti...

Just an update after messing around with bios and org.chameleon.Boot.plist I eventually gave up on enabling both simultaneously. HD4000 sucks anyways compared to the GTX 650 ti...
I'm just going to use the 650 ti and not the HD 4000 when I get it! I will let you know when I get it and install it!

Hi, thanks to everybody's help (specifically couputergiantz on page 4) I got my 650 ti enabled after giving up screwing around with the HD4000. I got the 650 ti enabled with a 3,1 mac pro definition. I do have a question/problem that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing... After running Luxmark 2.0 my 650ti, it will no longer throttle the gpu core for power management. My card is locked at 928mhz until I restart the computer. Throttling works perfectly fine until running luxmark, is anyone else experiencing the problem? Is it a glitch with the Opencl driver or possible luxmark itself? Thanks

I see the same effect. I tried different settings with AGPM, which requires MacPro4,1 or 5,1 as system definition and hence the removal of AppleTYMCE.kext. Didn't improve on this behaviour. So it may well be an issue with OpenCL driver. Maybe 10.8.3 will fix this.

[EDIT]: I played a little more with FCPX and Neat Video plug-in utilizing CUDA and after that I believe that power management can still be improved. If anybody else is interested in exploring this, here is a good starting point:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-full-power-and-save-energy-at-the-same-time/
I have installed the drivers 304.10.20f04 from the apple update mentioned earlier in this post.
CUDA drivers are at 5.0.37.
My DeviceID for the GTX650Ti appears to be 11c6. I used AGPM settings from the second link above.
From what I observe, the GTX650TI seem to have 3 power stages, I see frequencies 324MHz, 548MHz and 940MHz in HWMonitor.

I see the same effect. I tried different settings with AGPM, which requires MacPro4,1 or 5,1 as system definition and hence the removal of AppleTYMCE.kext. Didn't improve on this behaviour. So it may well be an issue with OpenCL driver. Maybe 10.8.3 will fix this.

[EDIT]: I played a little more with FCPX and Neat Video plug-in utilizing CUDA and after that I believe that power management can still be improved. If anybody else is interested in exploring this, here is a good starting point:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-full-power-and-save-energy-at-the-same-time/
I have installed the drivers 304.10.20f04 from the apple update mentioned earlier in this post.
CUDA drivers are at 5.0.37.
My DeviceID for the GTX650Ti appears to be 11c6. I used AGPM settings from the second link above.
From what I observe, the GTX650TI seem to have 3 power stages, I see frequencies 324MHz, 548MHz and 940MHz in HWMonitor.

Hopefully apple/Nvdia can fix this in the next update. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't only me experiencing this. Did messing with your AGPM ever fix the problem, or following those links that you attached? Also did you experience this lock problem in any other programs like luxmark that leverage opencl? I get the same frequencies except my last one is 928mhz, without changing any default settings.

I have the EVGA 650Ti installed. It didn't work OOB, but once I installed the Nvidia driver and set GraphicsEnabler=no it worked fine (Mountain Lion). Multibeast set my definition to Mac Pro 3,1 and I haven't changed it.

Some apps I've tried out; Photoshop and Illustrator are fast and smooth (CS6). Blender works fine though I don't do anything complex with it. WoW runs 150-190 fps with ultra graphic settings– though 4x pixel doubling caused my computer to freeze, I returned it to 1x and it worked fine again. SW The Force Unleashed (Aspyr Mac port) is playable but glitches exploding polygons into weird spiky protuberances that make it hard to see what you are doing. Minecraft plays fine. Video runs full screen (I only have a 1440x900 display atm) without lag, skipping, or out of sync audio.

Hopefully apple/Nvdia can fix this in the next update. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't only me experiencing this. Did messing with your AGPM ever fix the problem, or following those links that you attached? Also did you experience this lock problem in any other programs like luxmark that leverage opencl? I get the same frequencies except my last one is 928mhz, without changing any default settings.

I didn't see any noticeable effect by activating AGPM, it locked at highest frequency with Luxmark as well.
The links basicly helped me to determine what to add to the info.plist of 'AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext'. I left the extra entry for my card in the info.plist.
As I switched back to MacPro3,1 smbios settings, the kext does not get loaded any more but frequencies of the NVIDIA-Card still move up and down with load. I monitored power consumption and it correlates very well with the frequencies displayed by HWMonitor.
I have not experienced the locked frequency when using FCPX (filters like Blurr, Distortion, NEATVideo using CUDA) or OpenGLExtensionViewer (not CL though). I am not sure, what other apps would be using CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back