Contribute
Register

The GTX 650 Ti Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see any noticeable effect by activating AGPM, it locked at highest frequency with Luxmark as well.
The links basicly helped me to determine what to add to the info.plist of 'AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext'. I left the extra entry for my card in the info.plist.
As I switched back to MacPro3,1 smbios settings, the kext does get loaded any more but frequencies of the NVIDIA-Card still move up and down with load. I monitored power consumption and it correlates very well with the frequencies displayed by HWMonitor.
I have not experienced the lock frequency when using FCPX (filters like Blurr, Distortion, NEATVideo using CUDA) or OpenGLExtensionViewer (not CL though). I am not sure, what other apps would be using CL.

Thanks for your testing! Occasionally after restarting from windows into mac (maybe 1 in 20 times) I notice my gpu does the whole lock frequency thing right from the start up. I'm pretty sure it's just a glitch in the drivers. I can't think of anything else that leverages opencl. Several years ago I can remember how much opencl was really talked about how much it could help back in the release of snow leopard. Hardly any developers seem like they bother taking advantage of it...

Installation failed on my attempt to install the Nvidia drivers and the Cuda package. Any ideas?

I get it to work today on a GigaByte Mainboard with a core-i7 Proz and OS X 10.8.2

Set Graphics-Enabler = no with Multibeast
Installed the NVIDIA Mac Drivers
Shut down, Power Plug removed
Plugged the Card into the Board

And ready to run ...

This is the best guide there is. Took me less than 15 minutes to get it to work on a z77-ds3h motherboard. Thank you!

No, none of that, it's very easy...
  1. Delete AppleTYMCEDriver.kext in your S/L/E (make sure your your running a mac pro 3,1 or something that allows you to install the nvidia drivers).
  2. Edit your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" under extras from boot drive by opening with textedit.
  3. Under the line "<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>" it should say "<string>Yes</string>" which is default by Chimera.
  4. Change this line to "<string>No</string>" this will stop chimera fron trying to inject your card, this is because the card is natively supported under OSX.
  5. Save the edited "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file
  6. Install NVDIA CUDA from "http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html"
  7. Install Drivers from here "http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html"
  8. Then shut down, plug card into your PCI Express 2.0 x16 or PCI Express 3.0 x16, it doesn't matter because the card will never saturate the lane. Don't forget to attach pci power cord from power supply.
  9. Plug monitor into card.
  10. reboot (you will notice chimera and the booting apple symbol will only appear take up about 3/4 of the screen, this is because the drivers have not yet been loaded, as soon as its done booting it should fill the screen).
  11. Your done, go under about this mac and make sure OSX recognizes it.
I haven't had a single kernel panic, crashes or anything. Works 100% with full acceleration, CUDA, OpenCL/GL, QE/CI, card throttling, and sleep. Hope I helped
-Aaron

Interesting to hear of some GTX 650 Ti cards getting stuck to top frequency after running Luxmark.

My workstation has one monitor connected to a GTX 650 (non-Ti) and one run by the HD4000, and it's been running great.
This morning I glanced at HWMonitor and noticed that the GPU clocks were not in their idle state. The GPU core was about 10C above idle, but not really hot. I started quitting out of apps wondering if one was keeping it active. But no, it's stuck at top frequency just like some of you have discussed for the Ti card.

One of the programs I quit out of? Luxmark. I was running it last night for the first time on this setup...
Cinebench also uses OpenCL, but didn't trigger this effect.
I guess I can live with this for now, but hopefully the next updates from Apple and/or nVidia will fix it.

Incidentally, why has a moderator not moved this thread over to the Graphics section by now?

Installation failed on my attempt to install the Nvidia drivers and the Cuda package. Any ideas?
What system definition are you using?

Hi there!

I've got the 650 ti up and running nicely, performance seems good, so I haven't bothered with the HD4000 yet.

Now, my main problem is overheating of the GPU, the fan doesn't seem to spin up under load!

Discovered it while testing a game for 3d performance, and it crashed my computer. Next run kept a close eye on HWmonitors and temps went up and up. I stopped the game at 89 degrees celcius..

Any remedy for this?

Specs:
Mac Pro 5.1
ML 10.8.2 with supplemental 2.0
ga-z77mx-d3h th
i7 3770
Zotac GTX 650 ti 2GB

Hi there!

I've got the 650 ti up and running nicely, performance seems good, so I haven't bothered with the HD4000 yet.

Now, my main problem is overheating of the GPU, the fan doesn't seem to spin up under load!

Discovered it while testing a game for 3d performance, and it crashed my computer. Next run kept a close eye on HWmonitors and temps went up and up. I stopped the game at 89 degrees celcius..

Any remedy for this?

Specs:
Mac Pro 5.1
ML 10.8.2 with supplemental 2.0
ga-z77mx-d3h th
i7 3770
Zotac GTX 650 ti 2GB
Do you have the ability to boot with windows? Try testing it under windows. The cards bios, controls the fan, not OSX. I suspect their is something wrong with your card. If it doesn't work in windows, check the fan connector that connects to the gpu board, its possible its not connected, or not seated properly, unplug it and plug it back in (you may have to remove the plastic shroud cover). If this doesn't work you could also try unplugging the fan and connecting the fan plug to a 9V battery and see if the fan spins. If you don't want to mess with this or none of these steps helped, use your warranty. Good luck

Thank you :) but the fan spins alright.. Idles at 42c.

But perhaps something is wrong, I haven't been able to make the card work properly under windows. (It's a new comp.) Or it is the mb cause the HD4000 is also impossible to make work on win! Been trying day and night for 3 days.. The hackintosh just took 1 day and was the easiest..!! :)

( the cards "worked" under win, but driver install to either of them led to win7 crash at login screen)

Will check the connections tmrw morning!

Thank you :) but the fan spins alright.. Idles at 42c.

But perhaps something is wrong, I haven't been able to make the card work properly under windows. (It's a new comp.) Or it is the mb cause the HD4000 is also impossible to make work on win! Been trying day and night for 3 days.. The hackintosh just took 1 day and was the easiest..!! :)

( the cards "worked" under win, but driver install to either of them led to win7 crash at login screen)

Will check the connections tmrw morning!
Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the fan didnt spin at all. Their is something wrong if its idling at 42... mine idles at 25. I'm really suspecting their is something wrong with your card. Did you install the nvidia drivers for windows?The HD4000 should be much more native under windows then mac, did you install the HD4000 drivers? Everything for windows needs a driver. I had the same experience, I installed mac osx easier on a PC, then I installed windows on a PC, Bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back