Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
H
[ SOLVED!!! ]

Hello Sleepless firewire users,

I to had followed this thread and bought the StarTech Firewire pcie card and experienced the same Sleep and Wake issues as everyone else. However I am glad to report that after trying every darkwake setting in clover. Checking the bios WOL setting, inspecting the logs with the terminal command: pmset -g log | grep -Ei 'wake.*due' --nothing was working.

To get sleep (and wake) working with StarTech PEX1394B3 800/400 Firewire PCIe on High Sierra.

1) Open your /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist in CloverConfigurator.App
2) Clover boot > set darkwake to the default "darkwake" setting ( no number )
3) Acpi > Fixes 1 > Enable FixFirewire
4) Acpi > Fixes 2 > Disable FixWAK
5) Reboot - Enjoy your sleep!

This worked like a champ for my i7 8700k / Asus z370a Prime / High Sierra build. Hope this helps anyone else who's looking to get their Firewire card working with sleep.
Hi! I was having problems shutting down the Startech PEX1394B3 firewire card installed in a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard, and got them fixed by using the (obvious but I missed it until now) Acpi > Fixes 1 > Enable FixFirewire you mention... How could I have missed that!? lol

Now it is shutting down properly, thanks :)

If someone is looking for an affordable PCIe card to give a firewire 400 audio interface a few last breaths, I can confirm the adapter in the link below with VIA chipset is detected right off the bat in Sierra and Mojave and has lower latency as then an old PCI Belkin card with TI chipset, I measured approx. 9 samples of difference in favor of he PCIe adapter.

THANK YOU!
I'll let you know how I make out.
I think you should stay on the safe side and go for a TI chipset equipped card rather than an unknown brand sporting a VIA card and sold on eBay in a remote country.
Nick

Just wanted to let you guys know of a little update I did to my hackintosh. I wanted to have room to install a UAD PCIe card for audio pulgins in my tower but didn't have any pcie slots open since one PCIe slot has my MOTU audio card in it and the other has the SY-PEX30016 firewire card in it, which has been flawless. So I needed to find a PCI firewire card that would fit in one of the two old fashion PCI Slots that are on my MB. So I picked up the Startech PCI1394B_3 off of eBay for a decent price and installed it in an original PCI slot. It did not show up in my system profiler but I plugged in my external drive and it mounted just like it did with the soba card. So far all is good not sure about transfer rates yet but everything is working ok.

I have a weird problem with my new gigabyte Z390 Designare EX with BIOS latest rev F6 using this PEX1394B3 card:
It does work fine with my core i9-9900k /16GB DDR43600 /GeForce GTX1060 when XMP is disabled, but when it is enabled ; I have a 'VGA' led error on the mobo at boot until I press manually reset.
Can anyone with a designare and this firewire card try this please?

Last edited:
I don't see the Texas Instrument (TI) logo on the chip. Mac OS has no native driver for other chips since Apple used only that brand. It seems you have a compatibility issue.
Nick

I don't see the Texas Instrument (TI) logo on the chip. Mac OS has no native driver for other chips since Apple used only that brand. It seems you have a compatibility issue.
Nick
Hi Nick, thanks for your feedback ; but this card is using the LSI chip and is recommended on that thread, it works great with any other mobo I used and also with this new Z390 mobo when XMP is disabled.
I never had a problem with it on OSX.
The problem here is at boot where I need an extra manual reset when XMP is on and then I can see a 'VGA' led error that I also dont have otherwise ...

Finally I have Mojave installed WITH a FW PCIe card.
Sleep/wake/shutdown works!

I have a http://www.bare-bone.com/fwb-pcie1x21a/eindex.htm card.
Also know as Delock product https://www.delock.de/produkte/1114_FireWire/61643/merkmale.html
I got the A version with an FW400 port and 2 FW800 ports. The B version is with 3 FW800 ports.

When I put it in the PCIEX1_2 card I got an ACPI table error and won't boot further on.
When I put it in the PCIEX8 slot it WORKS like a charm.

Mobo is Z390 Designare Bios F7 with FixFirewire enable in Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back