Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the great advices.

I bought a second hand Hackintosh half a year ago and was afraid to change anything to it. But... I have an old Mackie Onyx 1220 with firewire interface and the built in fw chip on the Z77X-UD5H motherboard caused really bad crackle, glitches and dropouts.

I got the SY-PEX30016 today and everything works perfectly :D
I just tested the audio with iTunes streaming from my cloud, a youtube movie and Logic running over 40 plugins of Waves... no problem :)

Now I need a quieter fan so I can use it for recording as well, lol.

I can't really speak to your MP case/pin configuration, as it's different than my build. But would assume that it would work - just a lot of hand wiring to get the cases' existing ports connected up to the Syba card.
And again, I can't speak to the compatibility of something that I have personally not tried or used. So you may just have to experiment with it. Having said that, IMHO, if you are using multiple FW audio interfaces AND either a single or multiple FW hard drives on the same FW card, you may be asking for trouble, as that's a LOT of FW traffic on the same FW bus.

If you've got the $$, I'd get an additional FW card (maybe same as you already have if it works - or the Syba card that I use), and divide up your traffic between the cars. Maybe your 2 FW audio interfaces on 1 card, and your FW hard drives on another card. Otherwise, you risk data collision and that could translate into clicks & pops in your audio and/or audio dropping out.

About this FireWire card, I'm going to buy a Gigabyte Z97x UD5H as motherboard, it will work? I absolutely need FireWire :)

Thanks!

Hi,

Can i use the PCI version of the StarTech one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006B8C3/?tag=tonymacx86-21

i have no pcie slots left, because my gpu covers one of the pcie x1 slots, and the other one is used for wifi. i have a x16 but it only runs at x4, and slows down the main x16 slot. it also disables all the x1s so its pointless...

but i have 2 conventional PCI slots left.

Will that work? If it doesnt, someone please suggest me a better one that works?!

Thanks
Gershy13

Is anyone having problems with Firewire 400 on a SYBA SD-PEX300009? 800 works fine, but the 400 ports are not working. I am able to daisy chain my 400 external drive through an 800 drive, but directly connecting the 400 drive will not work with the front or rear port. Motherboard is GA-Z97x-UD3H-BK.

Is anyone having problems with Firewire 400 on a SYBA SD-PEX300009? 800 works fine, but the 400 ports are not working. I am able to daisy chain my 400 external drive through an 800 drive, but directly connecting the 400 drive will not work with the front or rear port. Motherboard is GA-Z97x-UD3H-BK.
Just wonder whether you have tried booting up with the Firewire device connected and on as opposed to hot swapping it in?

Anyway, in the process of building my system I started over several times for various reasons. I found that each build presented different problems. The same problems didn't necessarily recur. You could try a fresh installation beginning with flashing and setting up the bios, (no need to completely disassemble the hardware).

Or you could buy a different Syba Firewire card. Did you need the low profile bracket option? If a standard bracket will fit in your build these cards are relatively inexpensive. You could just buy this one instead. It is fully functional in my build using the GA-Z97X-Gaming-GT: Syba 3-Port Firewire 1394B & 1394A PCIe 1.1 x1 Card TI XIO2213B Chipset SY-PEX30016

Some, but not every, Haswell motherboard has a bios option to disable the UEFI boot-time feature.
So that, in effect, you'd be able to operate in "bios mode".
My Gigabyte Z87-UD5H Haswell board allows doing that, but my MSI H81 Haswell board does not.

Ouch! should always read a whole thread instead of first couple or so pages, that title is very misleading. However i got Sunix FWB3414G very cheap, trying it with Z87-D3H and UAD Apollo. This information may be helpful.

pex1394b3.jpg

Hello,

What is the 4pin power cord called for this? i think i thru mine out. Any links to said item would be also helpful. Thanks

Brad

Hello,

What is the 4pin power cord called for this? i think i thru mine out. Any links to said item would be also helpful. Thanks

Brad
Look in your spare cables from your power supply. Most PSUs will come with at least one Molex to 3 pin 6" long adapter cable.

Happy to tell you SUNIX FWB3414G http://www.sunix.com.tw/product/fwb3414g.html works fantastic after changing to legacy BIOS, and using pci-e x16 slot, my motherboard is gigabyte Z87X-3DH and interface is UAD Apollo FW, both end are connected via FW800 ports.

Using x1 slot causes freezing at startup. It may be reason people reporting LSI FW643 not been compatible.

For a sake of experiment I'll compare it soon to TI TSB82AA2 and VIA 6306 chipsets, i'm curious to know if there is any difference with latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back