Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hey guys! I have used this guide before to get everything working. Recently I moved from Clover to OpenCore to update to Big Sur. Now I have gotten *ALMOST* everything working... except for sidecar. Yes, I have wifi+bluetooth, airdrop, the App Store, everything!... but Sidecar.

I read somewhere that this might be related to graphics. More specifically, I read this: It turns out, I did have iGPU set to headless, but I needed to change a setting in my BIOS for the iGPU from Auto --> Enabled. Can someone explain what "having iGPU set to headless" means?

I currently use a DGPU (it's a RX 5700), and I had to add agdpmod=pikera to avoid a black screen after boot. Could this be related? Maybe I'm missing a boot-arg?

Any help would be much appreciated!

==EDIT==

One thing that I should add is that sidecar isn't working even when the iPad is wired.
See here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/what-do-i-need-for-sidecar-support.296648/ Make sure your SMBIOS supports Sidecar.

Then see here for how to change device IDs to enable headless mode:

If sleep works and you have the ports working you want then you should be okay, mapping ports is easy, and, yes, Bluetooth requires a functioning properly configured USB port.
I figured out it's not working for 100%. All USB ports works fine with USB2.0 mouse and USB3.0 8GB flash drive. However 64GB USB3.0 flash drive is not recognized in any port. But, it is recognized on the same machine on Catalina and Clover (I still have backup of Catalina).

I tried to follow the guide to map usb ports https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
But when I make XhciPortLimit as true and reboot, all ports are not working at all. So I can't enter password and continue with mapping in Hackintool. However if I don't set it to true, I can't anyhow show full list of usb devices in Hackintool. Maybe I need to reset some cache, or whatever. I tried to reset NVRAM, but that didn't solve an issue.

As for sleeping issues, it's also not working fine, and I'm not sure if that's my monitor's issue, or hackintosh setup. So it goes to sleep well. When it wakes up, sometimes monitor doesn't show a picture, it shows that there is no signal over HDMI/DisplayPort. So I need to switch off/on few times. And after it start showing picture, the resolution is reset to Full HD (I'm using Quad HD), and more than that it's FPS is 30. So even if I go to display settings and change resolution, I still can't select 60 fps. Only 30 fps shows in dropdown. Restart fixes the issue, but then it makes sleep mode useless :)

I figured out it's not working for 100%. All USB ports works fine with USB2.0 mouse and USB3.0 8GB flash drive. However 64GB USB3.0 flash drive is not recognized in any port. But, it is recognized on the same machine on Catalina and Clover (I still have backup of Catalina).

I tried to follow the guide to map usb ports https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
But when I make XhciPortLimit as true and reboot, all ports are not working at all. So I can't enter password and continue with mapping in Hackintool. However if I don't set it to true, I can't anyhow show full list of usb devices in Hackintool. Maybe I need to reset some cache, or whatever. I tried to reset NVRAM, but that didn't solve an issue.

As for sleeping issues, it's also not working fine, and I'm not sure if that's my monitor's issue, or hackintosh setup. So it goes to sleep well. When it wakes up, sometimes monitor doesn't show a picture, it shows that there is no signal over HDMI/DisplayPort. So I need to switch off/on few times. And after it start showing picture, the resolution is reset to Full HD (I'm using Quad HD), and more than that it's FPS is 30. So even if I go to display settings and change resolution, I still can't select 60 fps. Only 30 fps shows in dropdown. Restart fixes the issue, but then it makes sleep mode useless :)
I really can't say why you are having those issues without knowing more, what boot loader and version are you using? You need to have USBInjectAll.kext enabled along with the kernel quirk for XhciPortLimit as true to be able to use Hackintool. Considering posting your EFI folder for review.

Last edited:
Considering posting your EFI folder for review
Ah, sure, sorry about that. Here is my EFI folder. So USBInjectAll.kext is enabled. But when XhciPortLimit is true, then no usb ports working.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Ah, sure, sorry about that. Here is my EFI folder. So USBInjectAll.kext is enabled. But when XhciPortLimit is true, then no usb ports working.
Did you check the bios settings to match the OPs as closely as possible? How about resetting the NVRAM at boot?

I changed a couple of things, ASUS Z390 boards have CfgLock disabled so the first two kernel quirks can be left off (doesn't usually make a difference though). I also changed another quirk to off per the Dortania guide and moved USBInjectAll.kext to land after you have the essential kexts loading first (again doesn't usually make much difference).

Do you know what version OpenCore you are running, you could try updating to 6.9 although I'm not sure that will make any difference, looks like it whatever version should be fine.
As far as graphics go you have the bare minimum called out in the Device Properties, only the Device ID is listed. You can use Hackintool to build additional connector options to add to your config.plist.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 177
@Leesureone, I updated BIOS and rechecked BIOS settings. With EFI-2 that you attached it also doesn't work. XhciPortLimit as true still makes all ports not working.

However I just noticed that also USB3.0 8GB flash-drive not working on few ports. So probably that's an issue with mapping, but I don't really understand why all ports not working with XhciPortLimit... Looks really weird.

Reset nvram doesn't help as well. I also thought that could be some caching issue, cause I think I saw ports working some time ago with 64GB flash-drive, but then it just stopped working... That's not an issue of a flash-drive, cause I use it as backup for EFI, so when I boot with XhciPortLimit and ports not working, I reboot from flash-drive. Also, the System Update doesn't show up an update to 11.3.1. I'm on 11.3 now, so it doesn't me that there is an update, and I guess maybe it's some cache issue as well...

Last edited:
@Leesureone, I updated BIOS and rechecked BIOS settings. With EFI-2 that you attached it also doesn't work. XhciPortLimit as true still makes all ports not working.

However I just noticed that also USB3.0 8GB flash-drive not working on few ports. So probably that's an issue with mapping, but I don't really understand why all ports not working with XhciPortLimit... Looks really weird.

Reset nvram doesn't help as well. I also thought that could be some caching issue, cause I think I saw ports working some time ago with 64GB flash-drive, but then it just stopped working... That's not an issue of a flash-drive, cause I use it as backup for EFI, so when I boot with XhciPortLimit and ports not working, I reboot from flash-drive. Also, the System Update doesn't show up an update to 11.3.1. I'm on 11.3 now, so it doesn't me that there is an update, and I guess maybe it's some cache issue as well...
Very unusual, if you have a spare hard drive and some time you can try a fresh install and see if the problem persists

Very unusual, if you have a spare hard drive and some time you can try a fresh install and see if the problem persists
Yeah, makes sense tbh. Will try some day. Thanks for responding. I will post a message with results.

I just created a USB installer, and not sure which EFI folder variant to use? I tried to use the one that you posted 2 messages ago with some fixes for my EFI, but it's the same with xhci... flag. So when I reach installer the mouse doesn't work, and it shows me to switch on bluetooth mouse. So maybe an issue is still in EFI folder.

I will post a message with results.
OK, so it looks like my flash-drives for 8GB and 64GB are just very strange. Sometimes I just need to plug them in USB port few times to make them works. However it's really strange that on Catalina I didn't notice such issue. Now everything seems working fine with USB ports.

Back