Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I think you're probably right about the kexts... my Clover version 5112 ( 2020-04-14 )

I tried booting with all kexts blocked, using the clover options (pressing space button in clover on the selected drive) and the boot progress bar reaches 100% - and then I get a black screen hang, likely because I blocked something needed?

But if I dont block the kexts, I only get to 50% progress before the reboot (the video I shared earlier).

So I guess I'll try using Clover Configurator to update the kexts?
I would update clover too

I would update clover too

Feeling like my goose is cooked with this build! Updated clover to the latest and the kexts... Did a fresh re-install, same symptoms.

If I try to boot with the kexts I get to ~55% and then reboot loop.

If I try to boot with kexts blocked, I get to 100% boot screen, but then system hangs (doesn't reboot or power off) and monitor goes to sleep. I have to manually power off the system from this state.

Hi guys, installation went fine. But every time the system boot, at the apple logo window with the progress loading bar, it always ONLY get to the halfway mark before loading up the desktop. Is that normal? Should the progress bar load all the way? I'm also wondering if it's causing my random reboots.

Hi guys, installation went fine. But every time the system boot, at the apple logo window with the progress loading bar, it always ONLY get to the halfway mark before loading up the desktop. Is that normal? Should the progress bar load all the way? I'm also wondering if it's causing my random reboots.
Thats normal and has nothing to do with random reboots. Hard to say why that is, double check your bios settings and try turning of XMP memory timings if enabled. Could be bad hardware but you'd see it manifested in Windows too. Modmike says at the beginning go the thread XFX Graphic cards can be an issue.

• XFX graphics cards - Some characteristic of their VBIOS freezes the installer and causes kernel panics. Fortunately flashing a compatible PowerColor BIOS makes it fully compatible

Feeling like my goose is cooked with this build! Updated clover to the latest and the kexts... Did a fresh re-install, same symptoms.

If I try to boot with the kexts I get to ~55% and then reboot loop.

If I try to boot with kexts blocked, I get to 100% boot screen, but then system hangs (doesn't reboot or power off) and monitor goes to sleep. I have to manually power off the system from this state.
I'd suggest going the OpenCore route. Use this EFi folder on your USB Boot drive, it already has the agdpmod=pikera boot argument but lacks kexts for a DW1560 but those can be added.

If you feel like you have to stay with Clover maybe this EFI will work for you. #3,816 It did for @perics

Attachments

• EFI5.9.zip
    57.9 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thats normal and has nothing to do with random reboots. Hard to say why that is, double check your bios settings and try turning of XMP memory timings if enabled. Could be bad hardware but you'd see it manifested in Windows too. Modmike says at the beginning go the thread XFX Graphic cards can be an issue.

• XFX graphics cards - Some characteristic of their VBIOS freezes the installer and causes kernel panics. Fortunately flashing a compatible PowerColor BIOS makes it fully compatible
Thank you! I’ll read that part and I’ll try disabling XMP. It was on profile 1, I switched it to profile 2, will try with it off next!

Thanks @ModMike!! I've been Using your Guide and EFI for many weeks. This week i updated to 10.15.5 and shudenly get Black Screen (i updated to RX 5700 XT a few weeks ago and i had to include agdpmod=ingnore to make it worked... but stopped in OSX update...).
I tried many configurations and EFI with differents results (some partially works... but no perfect)... until today that i tried EFI from @iDrakus on post #3,816 and works like a Charm! Thanks both a lot from Spain!

@Leesureone... finally had a chance to try ModMike's OC EFi again and after adding the proper boot args for the video card I was able to get it to work! Bluetooth and audio appear to be working too, YEAH!!! Thank you for all your help.

Does somebody have an Intel i5-9600K and uses overclocking? I've tried it for a few days with auto-ai-overclocking and was stunned, that the i5 was stable at 5Ghz on my Windows Drive, but it failed with random reboots inside macOS. I've tried to fix it with several kext files ( nullcpupowermanagement ) or some tips for clover configs, but nothing worked well. So, I had to set the overclocking speed manually and tested Cinebench and Geekbench each restart. It seems, that 4.6GHz is a stable solution with my i5 on this hackintosh. It leaves some questions to me. The most burning Question is: Why is there no problem with 5GHz on Windows and 400MHz less it works on my hackintosh as well?

I'd suggest going the OpenCore route. Use this EFi folder on your USB Boot drive, it already has the agdpmod=pikera boot argument but lacks kexts for a DW1560 but those can be added.

If you feel like you have to stay with Clover maybe this EFI will work for you. #3,816 It did for @perics

Ha-zah! Thanks the EFI from post #3,816 worked! Its crazy after struggling with this for days, once I had the right sauce Catalina booted in like 5 seconds!

Very big thanks to @ModMike for the guide, @Leesureone for his continued troubleshooting help, and @iDrakus for sharing his EFI!

Posting my build for anyone else:

Motherboard: Asus z390-I Strix Gaming
CPU: Intel i7-9700k
GPU: Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro +
HDD: Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe
WIFI/Bluetooth card: BCM94360NG

Issues encountered:

1. After Catalina install, could not boot into Catalina, system hang/reboot loop at 50% loading screen
- Resolution: Instead of ModMike's EFI on page 1, used the EFI folder iDrakus shared from post #3,816 , replace the EFI folder (in the hidden EFI partition) on your install USB with iDrakus's EFI folder. Then do the same replacement for the EFI folder (in the hidden EFI partition) on the Catalina harddrive installation.

2. Could not load Catalina setup/install, system hang/blank screen at 50% loading
- Resolution: Using Clover Configurator, Add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument to the config.plist *NOTE* Using the EFI folder from #1 resolution above will solve this issue as well (the EFI already has the boot argument added) - So this resolution step is not needed if you have already completed the above.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back