Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I’m not at a computer, is there a boot argument in the config.plist stating “agdpmod=pikera“ ? Lots of 5700 XT cards require it or else the result is black screen.

Zap Pow! That boot argument didn't exist in the config.plist EFI folder I got from the OP in post 1.

I added the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument using Clover Configurator, in the Whatevergreen common arguments area, and I am now at the setup screen! (never got this far before)

Last edited:
I’m not at a computer, is there a boot argument in the config.plist stating “agdpmod=pikera“ ? Lots of 5700 XT cards require it or else the result is black screen.

So I got through setup and the installer seemed to work OK, after the install its tries to boot into the new Catalina installation, and I get to about 50% and the bam is restarts.

When I try boot in Catalina again I get a apple message "Your computer restarted because of a problem, press a key or wait a few seconds to startup..." Seems similar to the issue I was having getting the setup to boot before I added the agdpmod=pikera? Except before it was a blank screen hang, and this is an immediate reboot.

For troubleshooting I also tried copying the ModMike's EFI with the “agdpmod=pikera“ into the hidden EFI partition on the new Catalina installation, when I boot, same result. At about 55% of the Apple loading screen the system reboots.

Also in the Clover boot menu options, I do see the “agdpmod=pikera“ boot argument is present (since I updated the plist).

Last edited:
So I got through setup and the installer seemed to work OK, after the install its tries to boot into the new Catalina installation, and I get to about 50% and the bam is restarts.

When I try boot in Catalina again I get a apple message "Your computer restarted because of a problem, press a key or wait a few seconds to startup..." Seems similar to the issue I was having getting the setup to boot before I added the agdpmod=pikera? Except before it was a blank screen hang, and this is an immediate reboot.

For troubleshooting I also tried copying the ModMike's EFI with the “agdpmod=pikera“ into the hidden EFI partition on the new Catalina installation, when I boot, same result. At about 55% of the Apple loading screen the system reboots.

Also in the Clover boot menu options, I do see the “agdpmod=pikera“ boot argument is present (since I updated the plist).
After the first reboot you still have to boot off the USB drive, make sure you select Install Catalina from whatever your hard drive name is at the clover boot screen though otherwise it starts over. Sounds like that's what happening.
It maybe you also have to update Clover being Modmike hasn't since before 15.5

This is not an option, there is a way to manually type in an argument but you shouldn't need it. "Also in the Clover boot menu options, I do see the “agdpmod=pikera“ boot argument is present (since I updated the plist)"

After the first reboot you still have to boot off the USB drive, make sure you select Install Catalina from whatever your hard drive name is at the clover boot screen though otherwise it starts over. Sounds like that's what happening.
It maybe you also have to update Clover being Modmike hasn't since before 15.5

This is not an option, there is a way to manually type in an argument but you shouldn't need it. "Also in the Clover boot menu options, I do see the “agdpmod=pikera“ boot argument is present (since I updated the plist)"

OK - trying it again from scratch...

After the 1st reboot I manually booted back to the installer USB.

Then after 2nd reboot I manually booted back to the installer USB again, but it just went to the USB installer setup.

So then I rebooted into the new Catalina installation and am at the below screen (I've gotten through this before)

IMG_8503.jpg

OK - trying it again from scratch...

After the 1st reboot I manually booted back to the installer USB.

Then after 2nd reboot I manually booted back to the installer USB again, but it just went to the USB installer setup.

So then I rebooted into the new Catalina installation and am at the below screen (I've gotten through this before)

View attachment 477222
That looks like you are on the way. Are you saying its stuck there?

After the first reboot you still have to boot off the USB drive, make sure you select Install Catalina from whatever your hard drive name i
That looks like you are on the way. Are you saying its stuck there?

The above progress bar completes fully and looks successful. The system then reboots, and I get stuck in the attached boot loop (made a short video).

I don't get the error the first time, only after the first unsuccessful boot...

The above progress bar completes fully and looks successful. The system then reboots, and I get stuck in the attached boot loop (made a short video).

Attachments

• IMG_8506.MOV.zip
    15.4 MB · Views: 63
The video stops before he install will reboot two or three times. You continue to start the system off the usb drive and then select the
The above progress bar completes fully and looks successful. The system then reboots, and I get stuck in the attached boot loop (made a short video). I

After it reboots what shows on the clover boot menu for choices? Maybe take a picture of that.

The video stops before he install will reboot two or three times. You continue to start the system off the usb drive and then select the

After it reboots what shows on the clover boot menu for choices? Maybe take a picture of that.

Sure, I have the USB installer (left) and Windows installation on a separate SSD (middle) and the new Catalina install on its own SSD (right)

IMG_8508.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, I have the USB installed (left) and Windows install on a separate SSD (middle) and the new Catalina install on its own SSD (right)

View attachment 477233
Okay, can't really tell you why its looping except that possibly its because the version of clover and supporting kexts are dated and need updating.

Okay, can't really tell you why its looping except that possibly its because the version of clover and supporting kexts are dated and need updating.

I think you're probably right about the kexts... my Clover version 5112 ( 2020-04-14 )

I tried booting with all kexts blocked, using the clover options (pressing space button in clover on the selected drive) and the boot progress bar reaches 100% - and then I get a black screen hang, likely because I blocked something needed?

But if I dont block the kexts, I only get to 50% progress before the reboot (the video I shared earlier).

So I guess I'll try using Clover Configurator to update the kexts?

Back