Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

So wifi, icloud and my dGPU are working. Bluetooth and sound are not. Icloud is working haven't tried iMessage yet. Working on trying to upgrade to catalina and see if that works or not.

Upgrade failed same error as trying a fresh install. I downloaded the installer off the app store on the new pc.

On my phone, yes you.

Just tried that. It appears to have worked. It's sitting at about 9 minutes remaining.. So does that mean my video card won't work with catalina (from my research it should - MSI RX 5700XT Mech OC 8GB) or could you give me an idea kext-wise or config.plist-wise where to start playing? I'll have to play in there I presume to get my bluetooth and audio working anyways.

Last edited:
Just tried that. It appears to have worked. It's sitting at about 9 minutes remaining.. So day that mean my video card won't work with catalina or could you give me an idea kext-wise or config.plist-wise where to start playing? I'll have to play in there I presume to get my bluetooth and audio working anyways.
That’s a very tough question to answer, its Apples drivers that allow the 5700 XT cards to work. As far as I know there are no additional kexts that can help, there maybe be other boot arguments that might but you probably won’t get that answer here. I’m not aware of any but don’t rule it out yet. Did you try it without the boot argument? Pretty sure you did but worth trying again to be sure. Usually it will boot, you just don’t get a display.
You can search the forums for users with that or similar cards having issues and ask there. It’s possible your card won’t work without a bios update and then there is the question if that is even documented or possible. Some can, some can’t. Another option is to return the card, guess that depends on you and the vendor.

Leesureone -- Thank you for all your help. After installing Catalina and booting a couple of times I plugged the dGPU in and it's booting now. YAY!!!! The card must have been doing something during install that Catalina just did not like. Now I just have to hash out getting my audio and bluetooth working and get everything migrated off my old hack and I'll be good to go.

Aaand I found a formatting error in my config.plist, had an additonal add I didn't need and I have audio working. Just down to getting bluetooth working now. Thank you folks for all your help. Calling it a night so hopefully I can get the bluetooth working tomorrow! I have a BCM94360NG(M.2) that's supposed to work. I have the wifi working but no bluetooth so I'll have to poke at that here later on.

Last edited:
Aaand I found a formatting error in my config.plist, had an additonal add I didn't need and I have audio working. Just down to getting bluetooth working now. Thank you folks for all your help. Calling it a night so hopefully I can get the bluetooth working tomorrow! I have a BCM94360NG(M.2) that's supposed to work. I have the wifi working but no bluetooth so I'll have to poke at that here later on.
If you are using the version you sent me there were numerous errors I fixed including the PropertiesDevice/Add, I would switch back to ModMikes and add the agdpmod=pikera boot argument. Otherwise I expect you are going to have more issues trying to find what's missing or causing your system to perform oddly.

I did go back to ModMikes as a demo and the system still wouldn't boot yesterday at some point. I will give it another shot here again today at some point though and see what happens. Thank you for all your help! I know last night I left the system on this morning when I turned it on it had rebooted so there's something going on there.

Hi - I'm attempting this build and am stuck.

System:
Mobo: z390-I Strix
CPU: Intel 9700k
GPU: Sapphire 5700 XT
HDD: Two WD BLACK NVMe SSD's
WIFI/Bluetooth card: BCM94360NG

I updated to latest BIOS completed all the BIOS configs, and created the Catalina Clover installer bootable USB. I replaced the hidden partition's EFI with the DGPU-OC-EFI.zip from the first post.

I boot up the target machine and get to the clover install screen, I click the install from the clover menu, and I get the Apple logo and the loading bar. The bar gets to 50% or so and the screen goes black, monitor loses signal and turns off. Right when this happens the fans on the MOBO/GPU spin up for 1 second then stop.

I saw the tip about manually rebooting if you get the black hang screen, but whenever I reboot and get back into clover, no matter how long a wait.

Any help appreciated!

Since I am not using the same GPU as the OP, could that be causing issues? Do I need to remove any kexts since my build doesn't match 100%?

Last edited:
Hi - I'm attempting this build and am stuck.

System:
Mobo: z390-I Strix
CPU: Intel 9700k
GPU: Sapphire 5700 XT
HDD: Two WD BLACK nvme SSD's
WIFI/Bluetooth card: BCM94360NG

I updated to latest BIOS completed all the BIOs configs, and created the Catalina colver installer bootable USB. I replaced the hidden partition's EFI with the DGPU-OC-EFI.zip from the first post.

I boot up the target machine and get to the clover install screen, I click the install from the clover menu and I get the Apple logo and the loading bar. The bar gets to 50% or so and the screen goes black, monitor loses signal and turns off. Right when this happens the fans on the MOBO/GPU spin up for 1 second then stop.

I saw the tip about manually rebooting if you get the black hang screen, but whenever I reboot and get back into clover, no matter how long a wait.

Any help appreciated!

Since I am not using the same GPU as the OP, could that be causing issues? Do I need to remove any kexts since my build doesn't match 100%?
I’m not at a computer, is there a boot argument in the config.plist stating “agdpmod=pikera“ ? Lots of 5700 XT cards require it or else the result is black screen.

Back