Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hi man, @ModMike,

I need to ask a few questions, as English isnt my first language and I am little confuse here
I just found your post, I got the same board as you, with different cpu tho. I was using @pastrychef guide.
It work, I can use everything, except some of the USB port.

I found that your guide says

A lot has been written about the need for a custom SSDT to stay within Apples 15 port limit. Then I came across this:
ydeng said:
Some people say there might be memory error by allowing port number to go above 15. That is not true because AppleUSBXHCI actually read hardware registers to allocate memory, for example activeDeviceSet is constructed from Max Device Slots value in HCSPARAMS1. Port limit checks can be safely removed. People might wonder why the first place to limit ports is in AppleUSBXHCI not AppleUSBXHCIPCI. Well, AppleUSBXHCIPCI constructs ports property and calls super class (AppleUSBXHCI) method to enumerate ports. If ports property is defined, only ports listed will be constructed. If no such property exists, AppleUSBXHCI goes through all capabilities defined in the controller. That means by deleting all ACPI USB port definitions, all ports will be enumerated!
After reading this I immediately removed my custom SSDT and applied a Port Limit Removal Patch (PLRP). I immediately regained full speed use of all my ports and have not had a single problem. Need more?
  1. Judging by the number of posts on the subject, custom SSDTs are one of the most difficult things for new builders to understand and create
  2. The 15 port limit sacrifices functionality. I completely lost USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 functionality on all ports as well as USB 2 compatibility on a front port
  3. Proponents of custom SSDTs point to the fact that they will keep working after an OSX update. This is true but one PLRP lasted from 14.1 to 14.3. While a new one was needed for 14.5., so what? Clover or any other part of our software almost always needs updates to keep up with OSX upgrades
  4. PLRP patches are typically released quickly. I found a PLRP one day after 10.14.4 was released
  5. If you can’t find a patch after an upgrade you can always go back to a custom SSDT, so why deprive yourself of functionality until then?
  6. I compared OSXs enumeration of my USB ports using Windows 10 on the same machine. It was a perfect match
  7. I enjoy full functionality and had zero issues using a PLRP
If you still insist on crippling your USB functionality, or in the event that a PLRP is not available after an update, I’ve attached a custom USB SSDT created by @DDMac. I personally checked the assignments and it is as perfect an SSDT as you will get for the Asus Z390-I.

I am confuse by the 2 one, So by using your method, i will have to sacrifices USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 functionality ?

If so, what are the other alternative? My case doesnt have usb front port and i can disable them, But Id like my rear USB Port at full speed.

Also, Can I just replace the @pastrychef UEFI folder with yours?
Thanks in advance!

@ModMike Unfortunately Bluetooth was still broken on your latest EFI and I dreaded my DW1560 was defective so I installed Windows to see if it was any different before I returned it. Turned out fully functional in Windows without installing any drivers or doing anything, so it looked like it wasn't defective after all.

So I decided to do a completely clean installation. I reset the BIOS to default settings, set everything back according to your guide, formatted the drive, installed macOS, and then used your EFI...... but I still had the same problems - Bluetooth was still unable to pair or locate any devices.

So, I took a shot in the dark. I remembered that it worked on Windows without any extra steps or special drivers so I figured maybe I could try deleting all of the BRCMXXX files in Others folder and make sure there aren't any in /L/E/ folder and then see what would happen. So I did, restarted the computer and then Bluetooth started working. Now everything is functioning properly.

Thanks again for all your help and the awesome guide!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I then put back the BRCMXXX files in Others and restarted and then Bluetooth stopped working. None of the devices that were already paired would reconnect and I couldn't find any other device. So I deleted the files again, restarted and all of the devices automatically reconnected and I could locate new devices again.

Last edited:
Hi man, @ModMike,

I need to ask a few questions, as English isnt my first language and I am little confuse here
I just found your post, I got the same board as you, with different cpu tho. I was using @pastrychef guide.
It work, I can use everything, except some of the USB port.

I found that your guide says

I am confuse by the 2 one, So by using your method, i will have to sacrifices USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 functionality ?

If so, what are the other alternative? My case doesnt have usb front port and i can disable them, But Id like my rear USB Port at full speed.

Also, Can I just replace the @pastrychef UEFI folder with yours?
Thanks in advance!

No the opposite. With my method you don’t lose anything. Please read carefully.

@ModMike Unfortunately Bluetooth was still broken on your latest EFI and I dreaded my DW1560 was defective so I installed Windows to see if it was any different before I returned it. Turned out fully functional in Windows without installing any drivers or doing anything, so it looked like it wasn't defective after all.

So I decided to do a completely clean installation. I reset the BIOS to default settings, set everything back according to your guide, formatted the drive, installed macOS, and then used your EFI...... but I still had the same problems - Bluetooth was still unable to pair or locate any devices.

So, I took a shot in the dark. I remembered that it worked on Windows without any extra steps or special drivers so I figured maybe I could try deleting all of the BRCMXXX files in Others folder and make sure there aren't any in /L/E/ folder and then see what would happen. So I did, restarted the computer and then Bluetooth started working. Now everything is functioning properly.

Thanks again for all your help and the awesome guide!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I then put back the BRCMXXX files in Others and restarted and then Bluetooth stopped working. None of the devices that were already paired would reconnect and I couldn't find any other device. So I deleted the files again, restarted and all of the devices automatically reconnected and I could locate new devices again.

If I understand what you are saying, this is fascinating and confirms what I’ve been suspecting. I have a few questions:

What EFI did you use when doing all this? I recently changed the BrcmFirmwareData.kext for BrcmFimwareRepo.kext in /others. This is exactly the reverse of what rehabman recommends but I have much better results, so much so that I removed the troubleshooting guide.

Are you saying the only way it would work is by booting with no Brcm drivers what so ever? I tried that and it fails. Did you also remove AirportBrcm? Also, why did you put them back in /others if it was working?

Can you post a screen shot of your /others and /l/e directory as well as a clover boot log?

It is normal to lose all paired devices when you remove the drivers and clear nvram. Happened to me also.

Last edited:
How did you install your BT card? Physically? M2 slot into one of the two drive slots or something else?

Mike, having sleep issues along with no USB to the front panel. I'd installed 14.4.3 and the auto update just hung but gave me a new volume in clover. Trying a fresh install......

OK, all done with fresh install.....everything works! I don't have the wifi card yet so I can't test that. Curiously I made the Mojave 14.4.4 boot drive and swapped out EFI @ModMike EFI with DGPU EFI. I installed onto SSD and rebooted. 14.4.4 worked great! No sleep issues and all USB Ports work. I then realized that I forgot to put @ModMike 's EFI on the boot SSD drive...but everything works perfectly.

Does the EFI on the install USB make it's way onto the installed boot drive or does everything on the 14.4.4 system just work? Curious but my system is lightning fast....

Thank you for all your work on this guide!

OK, all done with fresh install.....everything works! I don't have the wifi card yet so I can't test that. Curiously I made the Mojave 14.4.4 boot drive and swapped out EFI @ModMike EFI with DGPU EFI.

Why is this curious? It's exactly what the guide instructs you to do :)

I installed onto SSD and rebooted. 14.4.4 worked great! No sleep issues and all USB Ports work. I then realized that I forgot to put @ModMike 's EFI on the boot SSD drive...but everything works perfectly.

Does the EFI on the install USB make it's way onto the installed boot drive or does everything on the 14.4.4 system just work? Curious but my system is lightning fast....

No, that is why the guide instructs you to copy it over to your EFI partition. This single issue drove me absolutely crazy in the beginning.

Thank you for all your work on this guide!

You are very welcome!

It's Curious to me because I forgot to do....

1. Spoiler: If You Get a Black Screen
  2. Download, extract, install and Clover Configurator
  3. Click on Mount EFI under tools
  4. Mount the EFI partitions on the USB drive and on your system drives EFI partition
  5. Copy the EFI folder from the USB drive's EFI partition to the EFI partition on your system drive
  6. Eject the USB drive, reboot, and enter your BIOS
  7. Set the 1st boot drive to your system drives UEFI partition. It will be pre-pended with UEFI
Those steps, I never used Clover Configurator to copy the EFI from the USB to the boot SSD. I just rebooted without the USB and it works perfectly......

It's Curious to me because I forgot to do....

1. Spoiler: If You Get a Black Screen
  2. Download, extract, install and Clover Configurator
  3. Click on Mount EFI under tools
  4. Mount the EFI partitions on the USB drive and on your system drives EFI partition
  5. Copy the EFI folder from the USB drive's EFI partition to the EFI partition on your system drive
  6. Eject the USB drive, reboot, and enter your BIOS
  7. Set the 1st boot drive to your system drives UEFI partition. It will be pre-pended with UEFI
Those steps, I never used Clover Configurator to copy the EFI from the USB to the boot SSD. I just rebooted without the USB and it works perfectly......

I'm glad it worked out, I wonder why it never worked for me. I will leave the steps in but if you are sure you didn't have to copy it manually I can modify the guide to make those steps a debugging step. Can anyone else confirm?

Back