Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

So new project, I will be moving over to 19,1 definition. This will supposedly support Coffeelake, AMD GPUs, and Z390 chipsets with a closer matching power profile as well as other potential refinements.

Using 19,x profiles requires reinstalling OSX and using the -no_compat_check boot argument to make it install the special build. I will supposedly not lose anything as long as I don't format the drive because it just reinstalls over the old system.

If everything works out I will upload new EFIs but anyone interested in trying this does not need to wait for them. Just copy your current EFI to your install disk and use Clover Configurator to edit the USB EFI so to use SMBIOS model 19,1 for DGPU or 19,2 for IGPU. Also insert the boot argument -no_compat_check boot as shown:

For more information, check out this thread.

Last edited:
I do not have a copy of Clover Configurator on this computer....I just did a search. I did not do that step. I'd like to see what others have experienced though.....

I do not have a copy of Clover Configurator on this computer....I just did a search. I did not do that step. I'd like to see what others have experienced though.....

It is probably the most useful tool you can have.

I just wanted to show that there was no way I could have copied the EFI from the USB to the SSD.....

I agree it can be very useful, and I may need it in the future but everything works right now......

I just wanted to show that there was no way I could have copied the EFI from the USB to the SSD.....

I agree it can be very useful, and I may need it in the future but everything works right now......

Could be but I think the reason it copied over is because I am automatically mounting the EFI partition in the new files I posted, which also explains why I had so many issues in the beginning. Not sure if auto mounting them would cause any issues. I guess people might inadvertently mess up their EFI.

In any case thank you very much for bringing this up, I just learned something and can improve the guide.

I actually had a few more ideas about the guide.....is PM'ing possible here?

I actually had a few more ideas about the guide.....is PM'ing possible here?

No!!! You will get banned for asking! Happened to me twice by accident.

I rely on feedback because I have not had to install in a very long time so please feel free to suggest all the changes you think I should make.

Last edited:
No!!! You will get banned for asking!
Not quite. You'll get suspended for violation of the private communications rule asking for help. Might be a good idea for both of you to review the Rules & Policies of the Forum.

I will review!

If I've gotten this wrong please correct me. @ModMike It seems like you want this to a universal guide for people who have little to no experience who buy this reasonably precise (i5 instead of i7) gear with the expectation that "it will just work". If that is the case, I think more clarity on the BIOS setup would help. You use a lot of generalities that if you kind of know what you're doing (me, emphasis on kind of), you can figure out. However if you're new to a BIOS motherboard the guide can be confusing.

Last edited:
I will review!

If I've gotten this wrong please correct me. @ModMike It seems like you want this to a universal guide for people who have little to no experience who buy this reasonably precise (i5 instead of i7) gear with the expectation that "it will just work". If that is the case, I think more clarity on the BIOS setup would help. You use a lot of generalities that if you kind of know what you're doing (me, emphasis on kind of), you can figure out. However if you're new to a BIOS motherboard the guide can be confusing.

Less than a week ago I discovered that my BIOS guide was corrupted because of a faulty edit I made. It also sucked in general so I wiped my BIOS and redo redid it form the ground up, noting every change. I also simplified it as much as possible by not including things that were set by default.

Can you give me some specifics on where you had issues? Would you mind looking at it and see if it changed since you used it last? The feedback you are giving me now is exactly what I need.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back