Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

So I was able to get this build up and running yesterday; overall pretty smooth. Thank you @ModMike for capturing all of the changes over such a long period of time.

I'm currently running igpu only but same main components. upgraded bios first thing. I just encountered a crash after waking. Everything is working, sleep/wake even worked a couple times. I did the 10.15.5 update this morning, but not clear that would be the issue. I just spent an hour searching thru this build thread but didn't find anything specific to crashing after wake. I've got a fresh install but checked the remediation steps anyway. Hackintool power tab is all green.

As I've been inspecting all the nooks and crannies, I can't believe I didn't notice this before. I only have a single 16GB DIMM in place at the moment. (awaiting board replacement since it won't POST if both are installed) But the board only has 2 DIMM slots, why on earth does it see 4 slots?

View attachment 473176
You don't say which boot loader you are using? There have been other users who have had issues with the system freezing which is different. Crashing after wake can be a lot of things and difficult to diagnose. What devices do you have plugged in, wired and or wireless? In clover you can define the memory speed you have and in which slot its installed. Not sure it matters except that it could be related to your sleep / crash.

Sorry, I'm still waiting for my card. But I'd be interested to know the fix for this in case I run into it too.
@Leesureone had the solution. I had turned on the PC without connecting the antenna cables, and when I saw that wifi was working fine I figured the antennas must only be for BOOSTING signal. But looks like Bluetooth is a different beast altogether. At least in my case.

Everything is work now, except Sidecar. Which is a real shame because it’s the main thing I was looking forward to. After doing a bit of reading it looks like the Mac identifier has a part to play in this. Mine is showing as 19,1. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

@Leesureone had the solution. I had turned on the PC without connecting the antenna cables, and when I saw that wifi was working fine I figured the antennas must only be for BOOSTING signal. But looks like Bluetooth is a different beast altogether. At least in my case.

Everything is work now, except Sidecar. Which is a real shame because it’s the main thing I was looking forward to. After doing a bit of reading it looks like the Mac identifier has a part to play in this. Mine is showing as 19,1. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
With a graphics card, yes. Try your iPad with a USB cable and see it if works. You also have to set both devices to "trust" each other.

Thanks again, @Leesureone! Just tried the cable, set the devices to trust each other, and now it seems like they're connected (not giving me a time out error anymore), but the iPad screen just shows black. Getting there? Oh wait - just as I was about to hit send, it's given me a new error - "A miscellaneous error occurred (32002)."

Thanks again, @Leesureone! Just tried the cable, set the devices to trust each other, and now it seems like they're connected (not giving me a time out error anymore), but the iPad screen just shows black. Getting there? Oh wait - just as I was about to hit send, it's given me a new error - "A miscellaneous error occurred (32002)."
Now I've got no suugestions...try a different USB port?

Now I've got no suugestions...try a different USB port?
Will have to obtain a USB to USB Type C cable and get back to you, as I'm using the only "thunderbolt" port on the board. Cheers for all your help, bud.

Thanks ModMike, this post was really useful! I was struggling with UniBeast process and your guidance and EFI download helped me to make it happen. Thank you!

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 12.19.29.png

Hope this thread is not dead.

I first tried to use the Z390 Gigabyte MB Pro Wifi ITX board but ran into a dead end with the incompatible Wifi slot, that only works with Intel. Please if anyone reads this and has the power please remove that MB from the Build references.

I then bought this Asus Z390 ROG Z390-I Gaming MB. I moved my WD NVMe drive with OSX 10.15.4 on it from the old system to this. I created a USB Install-Catalina stick. (I can never get the Unibeast tool to work, BTW, and always have to install Clover manually on the EFI partition of the USB. This is an aside).

So I now have this Z390 Asus, that boots Windows 10 no problem. It has the very latest BIOS downloaded yesterday.

1. Somehow it cannot see the EFI / UEFI Clover partition on my WD NVMe drive. I believe I have set up the BIOS as directed in post #1 of this thread. There's no mention there of the CSM setting, which I have tried disabled and enabled but still the WD EFI partition is not found.

2. I insert the USB stick, Install-Catalina, and boot from that partition. Clover 5107 comes up fine and sees all the drives, both itself, OSX Recovery OSX boot (the WD Drive) and the Windows 10 EFI boot. No problem booting Windows-10 from this Clover. But I can't boot anything else.

3.I have tried to boot any of the OSX partitions all with similar boot failures. I have attached a picture of one of the failures. I have tried booting with Clover options of With Injected Kexts and Without injected Kexts. Both end up the same way. I am using the config.plist of Clover from the older Z270 build, and thought there might be a CPU compatibility issue, as I changed from i5-6600K to an i5-9600K, but I see nothing in the verbose log that suggests that.

Anyone any suggestions? AsusZ390_BootFailure.jpg

Back